Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed that from the end of 1998 to March of 2002, the WWF had no PPV's in Canada, as a matter of fact, I felt that for over a year of 1999 until May of 2000, they stopped doing Raw episodes in Canada for the most part, although they did do one Raw in Canada once in 2000, one in Calgary and Toronto in 2001. The thing is I'm just getting a suspicion that there was a problem the WWF was having with the Canadian fanbase during this time.

On the other hand, WCW started doing PPV's as well as Nitros around this time more frequently.

Could the Montreal Screwjob and Owen Hart's death have had something to do with this? Maybe it's just my imagination.

What's your take on it?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Bret Hart was the Prime Minister at that time so he probably had a hand in not letting them run events throughout Canada.

·
Premium Member
15,037 Posts
But, they were still running house shows & TV tapings in Canada during that period.

I'm inclined to believe it has more to do with business heating up in America.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I might be very off the mark here, but could it be because of the delay in syndication for air-time? Remember at the time the internet exploded.. I don’t know how much of online dirtsheet websites there were in 1999-2000 but I’m assuming spoilers could’ve been available

·
Registered
951 Posts
Not at all. In 1998 post Montreal we had 2 PPV’s; Breakdown and Rock Bottom. After Owen died all house shows were cancelled for a few weeks which took away Canadian dates but they were still on the books.

You have to remember when WWE is as hot as it was they don’t need to constantly do overseas tours because they can make the same money domestically.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Not at all. In 1998 post Montreal we had 2 PPV’s; Breakdown and Rock Bottom. After Owen died all house shows were cancelled for a few weeks which took away Canadian dates but they were still on the books.

You have to remember when WWE is as hot as it was they don’t need to constantly do overseas tours because they can make the same money domestically.
I knew that the WWF had planned to have a WWF house show in Winnipeg the same week as the RAW in St.Louis in May 99 (Raw is Owen episode), but they cancelled all events for the remainder of the week due to Owen's death. I was out of town at the time, so they rescheduled it to the day before SummerSlam 99, which I saw live, and happened to be the WWF debut of Chris Jericho. I'm unsure if they ran shows in Alberta or BC that week.

WWE has always done good business in Canada, but by 1999, they were selling out almost every where they went until 2001. I assume they made more money by staying in the USA? By 2001 they did Raw and Smackdown in Calgary and Edmonton respectively. IIRC, the main event was Chris Benoit vs Steve Austin in both events. The episode in Edmonton was notable since it was Benoit's home town, and the crowd was so into the match, as at the time Benoit was the hometown hero.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I might be very off the mark here, but could it be because of the delay in syndication for air-time? Remember at the time the internet exploded.. I don’t know how much of online dirtsheet websites there were in 1999-2000 but I’m assuming spoilers could’ve been available
There were dozens by 1998. I used to go to the yahoo! search engine, before google came along, and checking out several of them to see which ones were more credible.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Bret Hart showed up at a WWF house show in 1999 while still under WCW it's in his book

it was rumored Undertaker and Rock were lobbying Bret to come back

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I knew that the WWF had planned to have a WWF house show in Winnipeg the same week as the RAW in St.Louis in May 99 (Raw is Owen episode), but they cancelled all events for the remainder of the week due to Owen's death. I was out of town at the time, so they rescheduled it to the day before SummerSlam 99, which I saw live, and happened to be the WWF debut of Chris Jericho. I'm unsure if they ran shows in Alberta or BC that week.

WWE has always done good business in Canada, but by 1999, they were selling out almost every where they went until 2001. I assume they made more money by staying in the USA? By 2001 they did Raw and Smackdown in Calgary and Edmonton respectively. IIRC, the main event was Chris Benoit vs Steve Austin in both events. The episode in Edmonton was notable since it was Benoit's home town, and the crowd was so into the match, as at the time Benoit was the hometown hero.
Bret was at a WWF house show in 1999 in Canada, Rock and Taker were lobbying to Vince to bring him back at the time.
This was a month or 2 before Owen died

·
Registered
487 Posts
Bret was at a WWF house show in 1999 in Canada, Rock and Taker were lobbying to Vince to bring him back at the time.
This was a month or 2 before Owen died
I had heard that Owen was desperate for McMahon and Bret to patch things up. He commented on it shortly before his death. I never knew about The Rock and Undertaker though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts