Wrestling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Try being informed instead of just opinionated.
3,350 Posts
Yes. Rock never became the man until late 1999, early 2000 coincidentally while both Austin and Taker were out with injuries.

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
well it's apples and oranges , Rock was a rising star in the midcard devision while taker was a 10 year wrestler at the time and spent 9 years with the company

so you could say Taker was the bigger star considering the circumstances

·
Banned
401 Posts
Undertaker was bigger than Rock in 1998 for sure. King of the Ring 98' really set his career back on fire.

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
Yes. Rock never became the man until late 1999, early 2000 coincidentally while both Austin and Taker were out with injuries.
wait now i gotta stop at this statment , Rock was outpopping and outshining everyone in terms of overness in 1999 before Austin and Taker left

let's be clear here , when Austin and Taker were feuding yet again over the title in mid 1999 , i feel as if the people were more interested with Rock vs Triple h and The Rock 'n sock connection , cause they (Rock/HHH) were the freshest fruits in the basket while Austin and Taker were getting a tad stale

but if you mean booking-wise and "keyfabe" , i could agree with you .. but let's not forget 1999 isn't exactly the best year in terms of booking ..

·
Registered
14,605 Posts
Yeah he was, I'd even say The Undertaker was bigger than The Rock for part of 1999.

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
Rock didn't start to blow up til sometime around Oct of 98.

He didn't hit full stride to probally Oct of 99.

The answer is without a doubt yes Taker was bigger in 1998. He was the #2 at worse 3 wrestler for almost the entire year.

·
Banned
6,531 Posts
respect wise undertaker always was bigger.

·
Try being informed instead of just opinionated.
3,350 Posts
wait now i gotta stop at this statment , Rock was outpopping and outshining everyone in terms of overness in 1999 before Austin and Taker left

let's be clear here , when Austin and Taker were feuding yet again over the title in mid 1999 , i feel as if the people were more interested with Rock vs Triple h and The Rock 'n sock connection , cause they (Rock/HHH) were the freshest fruits in the basket while Austin and Taker were getting a tad stale

but if you mean booking-wise and "keyfabe" , i could agree with you .. but let's not forget 1999 isn't exactly the best year in terms of booking ..
I didn't mean it as a knock on the Rock which is why i labeled it as a coincidence. Clearly, Rock was over and gaining momentum after his face turn after Backlash '99. I'm not saying Rock wouldn't have achieved the success he did had Austin and Taker not been injured. I guess my answer was leaning more towards the booking side of things, but I really wouldn't have classified Rock as "bigger" than Taker until his run in 2000.

·
Premium Member
15,037 Posts
well it's apples and oranges , Rock was a rising star in the midcard devision while taker was a 10 year wrestler at the time and spent 9 years with the company

so you could say Taker was the bigger star considering the circumstances
Well if Taker made his wrestling debut in 1984, he would have been a 10 year wrestler in 1994.

But for the majority of 1998, Taker was the bigger star. Once Rock began his feud with The Corporation and the lame attempt at another screwjob at Survivor Series is when Rock became a star.

For 97-98, Taker remained a WWE Title fixture for the better part of both years while Rock was still making his way up the ranks.

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
Yes. Taker was the second biggest star in the WWF, until November 98 when the crowd turned Rock babyface and chose him as their top guy over anybody else along with Austin. In most of 98 Rock was in the second biggest feud of the company as the IC champion and besides Vince, was the most over heel in the company less than 2 years in the business. From the start of 99 the gap between Rock and Taker became bigger every month and then in August the gap between Rock and every wrestler in the industry also became bigger when he was hottest star by far in every aspect.

·
Premium Member
15,037 Posts
Yes. Taker was the second biggest star in the WWF, until November 98 when the crowd turned Rock babyface and chose him as their top guy over anybody else along with Austin. In most of 98 Rock was in the second biggest feud of the company as the IC champion and besides Vince, was the most over heel in the company less than 2 years in the business. From the start of 99 the gap between Rock and Taker became bigger every month and then in August the gap between Rock and every wrestler in the industry also became bigger when he was hottest star by far in every aspect.
I was under the assumption that Rock feuded with McMahon and the Corporation after his feud with Triple H and turned heel in November at Survivor Series.

I will admit that while the majority of 98 was centered around Austin/Vince, Rock & The Nation/Triple H & DX was the second hottest feud in WWE. I think the latter feud propelled both Rock and Triple H to the next level, although I absolutely hated Triple H after leaving DX but I guess that means he did his job as a heel.

·
THE ONE.
5,323 Posts
Undertaker was bigger but Rock was making it closer throughout the year, he started the year as a midcard heel and by the end of it was the top heel on the show.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Undertaker...until around the time of Survivor Series

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
yes. simply put taker was wrestling for the wwf title whereas rock was wrestling for the ic title throughout most of the year. and even when the rock became champion taker was headlining the last ppv of the year.

·
Registered
441 Posts
'98 was the year Rock really made his move towards the top. At the start of the year, Taker was indisputably ahead of Rock (and by a wide margin too). Rock really started to gain momentum after his face turn in the middle of the year, and he started getting a rub by drawing the ire of McMahon (and it was a big deal if a face other than Austin drew the attention of the Mr. McMahon character).

Coming out of his Breakdown PPV cage match w/ Makind & Shamrock, Rock was on fire and probably the hottest guy in the company. However, keep in mind "hottest" doesn't mean "biggest." Case in point, the next night on RAW Undertaker actually cleanly (!) did the job to Rock in a handicap tag match. That was a definite "HOLY $#!^" moment because, as hot as the Rock was, he just beat the friggin' Undertaker! That's only a big deal if you acknowledge that Taker was the bigger name at the time.

The earliest you can even make a halfway decent case for Rock passing Taker would be November coming out of Survivor Series, and even then I think it's kind of a dubious claim. Rock won the title for the first time in that tournament, and even beat Taker in the tourney, but it was via a B.S. DQ finish. That started the idea of Rock as the "Corporate Champion" which was a fantastic angle.

I'd actually put the exact moment that Rock passed Taker as the '99 Royal Rumble (vs. Mankind, I Quit). That match really solidified him as #2 in my mind, and it's why the eventual Mania 15 match w/ Austin was such a big deal. It was the clear #1 vs clear #2, and it brought closure to an incredibly hot & long-running angle: Austin vs. McMahon's corporation. It was a great angle and I've always the thought the match itself is somewhat underrated (obviously overshadowed by their Manias 17 & 19 bouts).

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.