Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What the title says.

I think he was only the star of the show in 2004 after Lesnar left which left a big space, and was untill about 2006 because in 2005 Batista and Cena were getting big of course, but Cena didn't really shoot up untill 2007, and Batista was never that big of a star.

·
Banned
4,312 Posts
Nah..Lesnar was drawing more money than him after Hollywood Rock's time was over in 2003.. And Eddie became god-like in 2004....he was much more over and relevant to fans than HHH. And Cena was a certified star on every level by like 2006 when they had him tap out HHH clean and kept beating him over and over again. Not to mention..Cena BARELY lost from early 2004-mid 2006.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Probably 03-05 with Evolution, but only because he steamrolled everybody.

And Batista was indeed that big of a star.

·
The Winds of Change
5,627 Posts
The biggest HEEL in the company yes, but not the biggest star overall. In 2000 and the first half of 2001 he was the top heel by far, feuding with The Rock and Austin, but they were still the bigger stars. During 2003-2005 with Evolution he was still the biggest heel, but I think as people have said, Lesnar was the bigger draw. After 2005, it really became about Cena and Batista, and even Undertaker had his huge revival as the returning Dead Man gimmick which stole a lot of the spotlight.

·
Premium Member
30,980 Posts
On January 7, 2002 he was. Other than that, no not really.

·
You're a mong.
5,401 Posts
Pretty sure there's some stats going around from a yearly breakdown of biggest draws, with Triple H being top (or near it) between 2003-2005. Take that for what it is worth though as I don't have the link to back me up.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Erm the Mcmahon- Helmsley era?

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
There is only one period during which he was WWE's biggest star:

March 15, 2004 (night after Lesnar's last match) - April 3, 2005 (the night Batista and John Cena become world champions)

Cena and Batista were both OOOOOOOOOOOOVER when they won their first world titles at WrestleMania 21, and Triple H's one year as the company's top guy was over.

·
Registered
188 Posts
You cant have a Heel as ur biggest star.

·
Banned
4,312 Posts
Erm the Mcmahon- Helmsley era?
During that run, he just a nemesis to the Rock. They put Benoit across the ring from the Rock at Fully Loaded 2000 and that got big buyrates. Think about it.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
I would say that Triple H was certainly the biggest heel in WWE in between mid 1999 and mid 2003 when Brock Lesnar had turned back heel and began his feud with Kurt Angle but as far as being the actual biggest star then i would say no. The biggest time of Triple H's career was in between late 1999 and mid 2001 but he was way behind Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock and The Undertaker and then even after Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock had gone in early 2003 there was still The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar.

From WrestleMania 20 when Brock Lesnar and Goldberg had left the company WWE pushed Chris Benoit as their top star on Raw and Eddie Guerrero was on SmackDown still at the same time and for me The Undertaker was the main man in the company at that point. Going into WrestleMania 21 it was clear that WWE were about to push a new generation in John Cena, Batista and Randy Orton to be their new top star's and whilst it didn't work out for Randy Orton there is no doubting that John Cena in particular and also Batista had become the main men in WWE.

To say that John Cena didn't really take off until 2007 would be wrong as well because in 2004 he was arguably the most popular star on the roster which is why Vince McMahon began his push to be the top guy and there is a reason why Vince McMahon traded John Cena for Batista in the 2005 draft. John Cena took off big time in mid 2005 and going over Triple H at WrestleMania 22 was for me the exact point that John Cena became the undisputed top guy in the company after sharing that billing with Batista throughout 2005 up until Batista got injured and had to take time off.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts