Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
turning heel now?

there is no way, shape or form, I can see WWE turning their biggest money maker, merchandise seller, into a heel, especially after the way he portrayed himself for nearly a decade now, all about hustly, loyalty, respect, honor, never back down, take on all comers, never cheat..ect

No matter how much we talk about it, I just can't see it happening, I was wondering, if thinking Hogan could turn heel 20 years ago, was as unpredictable, unimaginable as it is for Cena day?

·
Asuka
96,569 Posts
Re: Was thinking that Hogan could turn heel (before BATB) as "unimaginable" as Cena .

Maybe back then you'd think that, but if you really think about it, it's much harder to imagine Cena turning. WCW was a different company than WWE, had different people in charge, different ideas, etc, plus the fact that they had to do something to shock people to really kick off the Monday Night Wars. WWE can keep Cena a babyface for the rest of his life, they have no urgency, they don't need new fans to be successful, they don't need to do anything except what they are doing, which is a shame because it's the fans that get fucked by it when they can get away with the shit they do.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,587 Posts
Re: Was thinking that Hogan could turn heel (before BATB) as "unimaginable" as Cena .

Vince and Eric both pushed for it for years

only reason it didnt happen was Hogan refused

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts

Hogan's heel turn was the biggest shock in wrestling history, imo. No matter how long WWE waits and builds, they will not be able to equal it with Cena, though I think it will get close it they do it right.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts

Vince and Eric both pushed for it for years

only reason it didnt happen was Hogan refused
That's not true. Vince was against the idea of Hogan turning heel, full stop.

Hogan himself is on record as saying he wanted to be a heel in his feud with the Ultimate Warrior but Vince refused because he though it would end up costing him $$$ in merch, sponsorship deals etc.

·
Registered
133 Posts

Wcw teased a Hogan heel turn in 1995, Hogan was getting booed to shit in late 1995-early 1996, people were sick of him.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts

Wcw teased a Hogan heel turn in 1995, Hogan was getting booed to shit in late 1995-early 1996, people were sick of him.
How did they tease it?

·
Registered
6,246 Posts

Some of us were sick of Hogan in like 1989. It makes me laugh when people complain about super Cena. I don't recall Cena ever being champion for four years and screwing legends over from runs with the winged eagle. He never put Savage over. He never put Bret Hart over. He never put DiBiase over. He never put Perfect over. He didn't put HBK over. Nice ego, brother.

I wanted Hogan to turn heel in WWF in 1993. Align himself with DiBiase and IRS. Feud with Bret Hart, Savage, Taker, Perfect, etc. But it wasn't to be.

Reactions: Brock

·
Registered
5,030 Posts

i just feel like that was such a different time in wrestling and, albeit an insanely unexpected turn in my opinion, it always felt like anything could happen. these days there's really no point in turning cena heel. i mean, they would alienate the younger audience that he appeals to/that buys a ton of his merch and probably wouldn't make up for it in revenue from the older crowd. people are set in their ways with cena, and a heel turn isn't going to have the older crowd start jumping on his bandwagon (although, wrestling fans are often times fickle and hypocritical, so maybe).

maybe if wwe still had competition and they needed something new and different, but there's really no point right now. plus, it would probably be one of those "cool moments" and then he'd turn face again by late 2014. i think they need to get the programming back to where people actually want to watch, and save such a turn for a period where wrestling is popular (if that were to actually happen by the time cena retires).

hogan's turn was unexpected to say the least, but back then the companies and the performers were hungry and were willing to take risks and try new things. now wwe is complacent and really has no reason to turn cena heel as it would just alienate his fan base and probably draw very few new fans. and i'm sure i'm going to catch heat for this, but in 2013, who, exactly, would be the face of wwe? it's not going to be daniel bryan, and cm punk is WAYYY better as a heel than a face, much less THE face (just my opinion). back then talent was way thicker, plus it was the perfect opportunity (hogan made being heel cool, so it all worked out for them with regards to merchandise sales, viewership, etc).

·
Registered
744 Posts

Yes, it was, to me at least.

When I was a kid trying to figure out who the third man was going to be, I remember running through the list of potential names and thinking Hulk Hogan. Then I thought "Nah, never would happen." I was pretty convinced it was going to be another outsider like Hall and Nash.

Whoops, wrong.

·
The human torch was denied a bank loan.
7,576 Posts

It was pretty similar to Cena right now but a little less unimaginable because Hogan as a face in WCW just felt flat. Cena still gets immense reactions, Hogan didn't as much. WCW also had more "big names" than the WWE does right now so maybe they weren't as afraid to turn Hogan heel. It still took a lot of balls though and it happened in WCW, one has to wonder if it would had ever happened in the WWF considering Vince refused to turn Hogan heel earlier on.

Some of us were sick of Hogan in like 1989. It makes me laugh when people complain about super Cena. I don't recall Cena ever being champion for four years and screwing legends over from runs with the winged eagle. He never put Savage over. He never put Bret Hart over. He never put DiBiase over. He never put Perfect over. He didn't put HBK over. Nice ego, brother.

I wanted Hogan to turn heel in WWF in 1993. Align himself with DiBiase and IRS. Feud with Bret Hart, Savage, Taker, Perfect, etc. But it wasn't to be.
Well yeah, Hogan is the biggest politician in the wrestling business ever. He's lucky that internet wasn't around or as prominent as it is now.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts

For some reason I do not believe a word you are saying. Maybe, it's my intuition, I don't know. Plus, four year runs like that was the norm back then. The average length of title reign gets shorter as time goes on.

As far as "putting over" (it seems that no one here knows what that means) is concerned, fans did not think like that back then. Things were still black and white at the time. Savage got over during his feud with Hogan, Perfect got over during his feud with Hogan, Dibiase was VERY OVER during his feud with Hogan. Bret was more of a tag team guy during Hogan's run and by the time he started his singles competition Hogan wasn't around as much, and they just never crossed paths. Same with HBK, he was nowhere near Hogan at the time.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts

That's not true. Vince was against the idea of Hogan turning heel, full stop.

Hogan himself is on record as saying he wanted to be a heel in his feud with the Ultimate Warrior but Vince refused because he though it would end up costing him $$$ in merch, sponsorship deals etc.
Yup.

I think it won't work as well now because this was back in the mid-90's where there wasn't 24/7 coverage like there is now. You'd more than likely hear about a Cena turn before it happens. They could always pull a fast one and only let a handful of people know but I doubt it.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts

This was during the shitty feud with Dungeon of Doom. Man, that was bullshit. I remember Hogan dressing in black and 'embracing the dark side' during that era.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts

Hogan's heel turn was the biggest shock in wrestling history, imo. No matter how long WWE waits and builds, they will not be able to equal it with Cena, though I think it will get close it they do it right.
If done right, I think it could be bigger. Not drawing power, but initial shock. Imagine all those little kids crying when Cena does turn heel? But wwe will probably mess it up.

But, for the first time in years I truly have this feeling Cena will turn soon. The last few years when its been set up for one, I didnt truly think it would happen(Nexus,vs punk, vs rock) but now I have some feeling it could actually happen. There is nothing left for Cena...unless Cena is retiring in the next two years, then if thats the case they could just keep him doing what hes doing. BUt that is obviously not happening, so they need to turn him in the next year to give him something new.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts

It was unreal.

They talked about it backstaged.

But it never hit the casual fan that Hogan ever could be heel.

Now people turn heel like every six months.

Back then it was not like that. And to have the biggest babyface in history turn heel, it was just crazy. Just look at the crowd. The stock market went down to lol.

·
Registered
560 Posts

From Buddy Rogers in 1963 thru Hulk Hogan in 1993 the championship was held by a face for 11,816 days and a heel for 564 days (and 296 of that was Billy Graham's reign). That's 95% face, 5% heel. So tell us again how Hogan screwed everyone out of a run with the title. The fact is that in those days the WWF always wanted a positive role model as champion. Pretty much the only way a bad guy ever got the title was so it could be moved to another good guy. No one beat Hogan because VINCE McMAHON didn't want Hogan beat.

·
Registered
844 Posts

I'd say it's about the same. The only difference is Hogan was a bigger deal than Cena is. Myself and a whole room of fans marked out when Hogan turned in 1996. I'll probably mark out in a similar way when Cena finally turns. It's just been so long in the making.

·
Registered
595 Posts

Kayfabe-wise, it was more unimaginable. Hogan was THE face. As babyface as Cena is, multiply it by 5 and you have Hogan. When most people think babyface nowadays, they think of Hogan in the late 80s

1 - 20 of 36 Posts