Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, it happened yonks ago. Yes, it was probably just an obvious visual change that could remind everyone they were living through a New Historic Era of TNA.

But was there any practical reason to change from 6 sides to 4? Did it make matches more difficult to work, did the wrestlers not like it or something?

I used to like 6 sides, that's all.

Also, general stupid/cool alternative ring thread, if you fancy it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I read somewhere that there is less give when a wrestler hit the ropes on a 6 sided ring than a 4 sided ring and some wrestlers feel the strain bouncing into and off those ropes more than others.

Personally, I liked the 6 sided ring. It made TNA unique.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I also believe it keeps the cost of transportation of a ring easier cause it isn't hard to find a local promotion with a four sided ring as opposed to a six sided one. I personally felt the ring looked to busy with all the posts and turn buckles.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
The fans at this past Impact chanted " We want 6 sides " right when AJ did his incredible promo againt Immortal. Hopefully Dixie was listening to them.

·
Registered
106 Posts
AJ mentioned in an interview in mid of 2010 that he feels he will survive longer in a 4-sided ring compared to a 6-sided ring because the 6-sided ring is harder.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
AJ mentioned in an interview in mid of 2010 that he feels he will survive longer in a 4-sided ring compared to a 6-sided ring because the 6-sided ring is harder.
I think I recall someone mentioning (I think a TNA original) how he was injured because in the middle of the 6 sided ring is a really hard area that is needed to properly support the ring, I want to say it's metal.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Basically, Hogan said in an interview after he signed with TNA that he felt the 6 sided ring looked stupid and bush league.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hogan and Bischoff were the people who wanted the 4 sides as part of the move to Monday nights (apparently "pro wrestling fans" believe that it should be a 4 sided ring....)

You also had the fact that TNA wrestlers had to "learn" how to work inside a 6 sided ring, almost like learning to work from scratch! It's different - if you whip someone into the ropes or a corner, you need to orientate yourself into where you need to be for the follow-up move. With a 4 sided ring, you've got more "space" in the middle, but also it's a shape everyone remembers easily. With 6 sides, if you whip someone into the corner you have to make your move to the opposite side and almost re-orientate yourself into getting the right one (or else you make a mistake and look like an idiot in front of the live crowd!)

I think 6 sides made TNA look unique - if TNA had gone down a more realistic style instead of being more cartoony like they went at the beginning of the year with Abyss, I think that they could have kept the 6 sides for Monday night and showcased a unique mix of MMA/pro wrestling but this isn't what Hogan/Bischoff know - they know "sports entertainment"... not pro wrestling!

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
actually they changed because hogan didn't like it (the rest are excuses, this was the first main reason)

and because hogan's buddies didn't want to train to get used to the 6 sided ring

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Hogan and his old buddies didn't want to work with the six-sided ring, so they got rid of it. Then they had that stupid wheelchair ramp which took too long to get removed.

Maybe the six sides might come back for a PPV or something.

·
Banned
10,007 Posts
Six-sides looked corny and just generally really tacky. Back in 05/06 it didn't matter because the product was so great, but in the years that followed the product sucked which made the ring seem goofier. I hope it never returns.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
6-sided ring was a gimmick. TNA wanted to be taken more seriously.
As is an Octagon....it worked though.

Gimmicks aren't a bad thing if it sets you apart and gives you an identity. I mean, I'm not against 4 sides..it's just I don't believe it needed to be changed at all.

I kinda hope there's like at least one PPV where we get it. Just one. Rest of the year it's whatever, but something just going back to their roots. ANd I'm aware they had 4 sides at the start, but they are pretty much known as the company that had a 6 sided ring.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts