Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I heard that there was suppose to be a rematch between HBK and Bret Hart at Wrestlemania 13 and it was booked. This did not happen. Why is that?

·
Banned
12,539 Posts
Shawn Michaels didn't wrestle at all during Wrestlemania 13.

Plus if true, I'm glad there was no re-match otherwise we would not of got the match between Stone Cold Steve Austin and Bret Hart which is one of the greatest matches of all time.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
HBK needed knee surgery, and probably didn't want to put Bret over. In Your House: Final Four was meant to be a fatal 4 way number one contenders match to fight HBK at WM 13. It was changed so that the winner won the title.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
In Your House Final Four is such an amazing match. Bret, Austin, Taker and Vader......boiiiiiiiing

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
HBK really screwed himself over gives Austin opportunity to shine with bret and became it factor..if HBK goes along wrestle with Bret Austin could never have that chance. YES! WM13 supposed to be Bret/Shawn...

·
Banned
1,787 Posts
13 is a supposedly, I honestly feel that Bret and Shawn were being setup like Rock and Austin were later though(with a break between manias). So 13 was probably always going to be Austin or at least Triple H versus Bret. But 14 was the definite rematch where Shawn supposedly was going to put Bret over until Vince couldn't pay Bret.

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
The rumor for years is that HBK faked a knee injury because he didn't want to give Bret his win back at WM13. They tried to convince everyone for a year that there's real heat between them to build the match and draw big at WM but Shawn did what he did and it turned to real heat. Besides all that, Shawn came back after a few months and put on an awesome performance in a RAW tag match with Austin vs Bulldog and Owen and bumped like crazy which caused even more doubts on his "injury".

·
Premium Member
19,306 Posts
Apparently so, according to how the story is told. Shawn was my favorite wrestler from the time I was six years old (1994) until he retired... I'm a big mark for him, but I still believe that he faked the injury to get out of putting Bret over.

What surprises me is that they had planned the heat between them as a buildup for Bret's return, according to the DVD. I thought Bret was legitimately pissed after Wrestlemania 12, because of how he acted... Great acting on their part. But it's a shame that Shawn really turned into an asshole and really started to cause what eventually became a huge problem.

·
Banned
1,787 Posts
Bret said if he still stick around WM14 could have been Austin vs Bret but for WM13 Shawn suppose to put Bret Over...
The official story is...

Wrestlemania 12 happens. Everyone speculates that Shawn and Bret really hate each other because of the end. At this point though both guys are adding fuel to a future rematch. Bret takes time off for the summer of 96' shooting a television show. Shawn carries the title until Sid beats him at Survivor Series. At this point Bret returned and fought Austin after a year of Stone Cold taunting him. This is where the Wrestlemania 13 match though versus Austin starts. This was a huge match.

Shawn comes back in Jan and wins the title from Sid after Bret loses to Sid in December. Then Shawn vacates the title because of a knee injury or supposedly he doesn't want to lose to Bret. At Feb ppv a four corners elimination match for the title occurs where Bret wins over Austin, Taker and Sid. Bret lose the title at a Raw and fights Austin at mania, and Undertaker and Sid battle for the title. This all looks so random that people accuse HBK of not wanting to fight Bret, but there were 3 other options that were just as good. So I don't buy that theory. I think that WWE played it that way so the same match didn't happen consecutively as with later Rock vs. Austin matches. HBK legitimately hurt his leg and Bret used that to get him heel heat.

When Bret ripped on Shawn pretty hard, Shawn gave it back in the summer. Bret called Shawn gay and Shawn accused Bret of having an affair with Sunny. Some time during all this they legit tried to sit down and talk this out and toned it down. Around or after Summerslam though when Bret won the title from Undertaker because of Shawn, Bret told Shawn he had heard that they were going to be the main event at Wrestlemania 14 for the title. Bret told Shawn that he would be willing to put him over and Shawn said he wouldn't be willing to do the same.

Bret was upset. At around this same time Vince sat him down and told him that he would be unable to honor his 25 year contract. Bret fished up a contract with WCW somewhere from August to November. Bret always assumed though that he would be jobbing to Shawn at Wrestlemania 14 as the contract allowed him to complete his WWE tenure however he wished. When Survivor Series rolled around Vince was paranoid that Bret would pull what Sunny had done with the title. Vince asked Bret if he would be willing to give the title to Shawn in Montreal. Bret told him that he wasn't willing and told Vince what Shawn had said. Vince said he wanted Bret to repeat that in a meeting with Shawn. So they all sat down and Vince never addressed it and told Shawn he was getting the title at Survivor Series.

Of course we can only speculate about Wrestlemania 13 and 14 intentions but I think the evidence is pretty obvious that WWE acted sporadically with 13 because Shawn was legit hurt and played it off like he was a crybaby about losing to Bret, giving him the blame for the sporadic Road to Mania. However, I think another additive to the lore is they were testing Austin's credibility and in the last few weeks decided to give the nod to the vets and have Bret and Austin do what they did at Survivor Series, a safe business decision after a legit HBK injury.

As far as Wrestlemania 14, the fact that Tyson was brought in to add to the HBK vs. Austin feud suggests one or both of two things. Shawn's back injury needed a just in case factor or this match was suppose to be Bret vs. Shawn. Either or both ways Tyson compensated nicely.

As far as I am concerned though, I am pretty sure that all of HBK's injuries were coddled to cover up his rehab trips and the Kliq politic angle was an excuse for this as well. I also think that all the cover-ups backfired on WWE and Shawn became the biggest face of all time by being a bad good guy. Bret was so squeaky clean and traditional that WWE had to replace him with Austin though and send him to WCW, because what if Shawn or Austin left instead? They were exactly the kind of guys that WCW were destroying WWE with. Austin replaced Shawn then when he finally was really hurt and doped out of his mind, as the bad good guy, in a more on his own face manner and the rest is history.

I personally think that 14 was intended to be HBK vs. Bret again though but 13 was not. The fact that HBK lost the title when Bret became the no. 1 contender upon his return in November 1996 is why. They were purposely putting these guys opposite to let the fans beg for awhile.

·
Banned
882 Posts
Shawn never needed knee surgery, he lied about that and lost his smile. Just didn't wanna put Bret over, so he backed out like a pussy. No shock there, he did the same thing over a year earlier with Shane Douglas and the IC title. Bret was known for putting people over, HBK was not, at least not back then.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When Survivor Series rolled around Vince was paranoid that Bret would pull what Sunny had done with the title.

You got it all wrong. It was Alundra Blaze aka known in WCW as Madusa that actually did that. She brought the WWF women's title with her on WCW Nitro live and dumped it on the trash.

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
You got it all wrong. It was Alundra Blaze aka known in WCW as Madusa that actually did that. She brought the WWF women's title with her on WCW Nitro live and dumped it on the trash.
No wonder so many rumors starts LOL

Can someone please go read both Bret Hards and Sean Michaels books, and rewrite here what they said, both bokks describe what the plan was all along.

But hten again it is wrestlers book, so they are just filled woith lies anyways so why believe that stuff. Rather believe the specualtions of the IWC than from the guys who were actually there LOL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts