Wrestling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
By WM25 it was just crazy to make the guy keep it, he was greedy, selfish, and had a ego. It went too long, it’s overrated because half the time he didn’t face many talented superstars!!! John Cena was another greedy fuck for being champion so damn much back in the day.
  • WM25 is an arbitrary date. By WM25, "The Streak" had only been acknowledged for 4 years - and if 'Taker had his way, would have ended at WM21 anyway.
  • :rolleyes: Talented? Beyond Giant Gonzalez, everybody he's faced at WM is either in the HoF, or will be (sans A-Train... but you never know). You could argue Sid and Diesel aren't particularly 'talented',but can't dispute they were big names at the time.
  • Random Cena insertion? If your employer wanted to pay you more, have you in a position of power for an extended period of time.... Can you honestly say you'd turn that down?
    • Cena's the mainstay of a generation - like Hogan, Bruno, Backlund before - although, for the majority of his time, there's been two belts. Ultimately, VM is the one who decides who's holding the belt.
    • Overall, Cena's spent about 1400 days as champ since debuting and his last win, a ~17 year period as a full time performer.
    • Lesnar, by contrast, has spent ~750 days as champion, with about a 10 years total... and the last ~8 as a complete part-timer. Not saying he's better or worse, but Cena's not the only one you can pick out as being champ "so damn much".

·
Premium Member
4,300 Posts
It is not like the streak was his call anyway, but it created a selling point for an event that no doubt led to money being created. That helps everyone on the card. Wrestling needs more of these things, not less.

·
Angry at refs
3,129 Posts
Yes and no.

He was greedy for getting to that point, but that's perfectly fine. Wrestling is one of the only businesses where I think a wrestler SHOULD be greedy (to an extent).
He wasn't greedy, because it was pointed out several times that he wanted it ended by multiple people. Vince said no until Lesnar.

·
Registered
7,315 Posts
God forbid someone be greedy in their job whatever that means.

I'm not like that at all - I got offered a promotion last week, but I turned it down as there was an up and comer who deserved it more and I was giving back to the business.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
By WM25 it was just crazy to make the guy keep it, he was greedy, selfish, and had a ego. It went too long, it’s overrated because half the time he didn’t face many talented superstars!!! John Cena was another greedy fuck for being champion so damn much back in the day.
You do realize guys like Randy Orton, HBK were supposedly offered to end the streak a couple of years before Lesnar? They both reportedly declined to end the streak. I don't understand the topic of your concern because it doesn't show greed nor selfishness since a streak is not linked to that....Clearly you have anger issues to spew a rant like that ignoring facts.

·
Fearless University Graduate
15,428 Posts
This is a slippery slope.

I mean is Becky Lynch selfish for not putting anyone over in over a year now?

Is Seth Rollins selfish for constantly needing to be in the Main Event?

I will say though Pro Wrestling needs more selfish people, it needs more people who only care about themselves and want to be as successful as possible. Part of why Pro Wrestling sucks so much today is everyone is just happy to be there and isn't ambitious enough.

Undertakers streak became too big in the end, there was only a tiny group of people who should and could have ended it. It had to be someone like Brock. I mean does anyone really think one of the underwhelming, untalented, lazy McMahon pets like Rollins or Reigns deserved to end the Undertakers WM streak? Have one of those charisma vacuum, ratings killers do that, hell no. And what if they had some other young guy do it and then they flamed out. It wasnt a win you could just piss away and hope it works out.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Are you for real? It's common knowledge that Undertaker hated the streak and wanted guys like Orton, Angle and fuck even Mark Henry to beat him.

The streak didn't 'officially' begin until WM18 anyway.

·
Registered
104 Posts
This is a slippery slope.

I mean is Becky Lynch selfish for not putting anyone over in over a year now?

Is Seth Rollins selfish for constantly needing to be in the Main Event?

I will say though Pro Wrestling needs more selfish people, it needs more people who only care about themselves and want to be as successful as possible. Part of why Pro Wrestling sucks so much today is everyone is just happy to be there and isn't ambitious enough.

Undertakers streak became too big in the end, there was only a tiny group of people who should and could have ended it. It had to be someone like Brock. I mean does anyone really think one of the underwhelming, untalented, lazy McMahon pets like Rollins or Reigns deserved to end the Undertakers WM streak? Have one of those charisma vacuum, ratings killers do that, hell no. And what if they had some other young guy do it and then they flamed out. It wasnt a win you could just piss away and hope it works out.
That toxic selfishness has cause the wrestling business to suffer more than uplift if you look in hindsight. The problem is that WWE is just mismanaged by a egomanianc who is past his prime and still running a WWE format based on overscripting then just being a realistic. Today's wrestlers also have college degrees and higher education and for most of them, they don't look at wrestling as their only extension to their life like past wrestlers who were often poor country boys with with no high school diploma. Today's wrestlers who have higher education are not as easy to exploit emotionally and they look at wrestling more as a business unlike past wrestlers who took wrestling as a lifestyle.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
In reality Undertaker is hard headed, he could've retired after Lesnar but he continued to go in and put his health at risk. His legacy is over, there is nothing to prove anymore. He is just a guy with a mid life crisis, Undertaker does not have that ability like Flair and Hogan to defy their age. The reason is Hogan and Flair had personality/charisma and it was easy for them to cover up their inability to go by making it up for great segments and promos. At least Hogan and Flair were able to help feed and build other younger talent through their charisma but Undertaker does not do that. It is all about him at this point in his life. He wants to come in squash another young guy and in hsi deluded mind think he can still go and has it for another year. Undertaker is just a walking hazard at this point in his career.
I think he should have been retired at Survivor Series 2015. He actually stepped up and had a couple of really good matches with Lesnar, but ultimately lost the feud even being as desperate as he was.

Wyatt came back & captured him after that HIAC match, and his ultimate revenge should have been finishing off Taker at his 25th anniversary. Instead Taker put another nail in the coffin of Bray, which eventually killed that character, and Taker hasn’t had a good match since.

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,227 Posts
Selfish isn't the word I would use for the streak. Streaks have always been a part of pro wrestling and sports. It just so happened to Undertaker's streak happened to occur a Wrestlemania so the period of time for the streak took longer by comparison to let's say Goldberg's streak which was a match by match winning streak. It's not really selfish when it only effected Wrestlemania. Undertaker was still able to lose matches on any other given time.

Plus, it ended up being a big part of Undertaker's career and legacy, it became bigger than even holding a World Championship. Not many wrestlers can boast of having a streak like that, even in the world were the matches are predetermined it was still a spectacle to see. Plus the streak also ended up being a big draw for Wrestlemania too.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
He approached Randy Orton about being the one to end it, but Orton declined out of respect for the Deadman.

I’m guessing that this may have happened a lot.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.