Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

· Banned
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems to me looking back that, though The Rock was unquestionably hilarious and extremely charismatic, one of his weaker areas was in terms of cutting a straight, deadly serious promo. I mean the kind of serious promo where you sat forward on your chair because you felt that a real issue was taking place in the ring. He always seemed to be making tongue in cheek comments no matter who he was faced with, whether it was The Undertaker or Billy Gunn, Ric Flair or the Hurricane and I feel his promo style undercut the effectiveness of his feuds. Obviously he was still effective in terms of ticket sales and ppv buys, but I mean artistically, I think he failed to get you absolutely invested on a serious level, to the extent that some of the other great promo men in wrestling have been able to do. At the end of a Rock promo I was usually left chuckling in that "Man, Rock sure is funny", kind of way, rather than the "Holy sh*t, its on!", kind of way. Part of his problem may have been the structure of his gimmick. Even when he did his "serious" wide-eyed face, he never made you forget that he was playing a role. His whole constant third person thing almost made it seem like he was trying to be some kind of ironic parody, and certainly he never came across like a real person. Mick Foley showed him up on Raw in 1999 to an almost shocking extent when he thought Rock had thrown his book in the trash, the Rock tilted his head at Mankind and was about to go off on one, but Foley shouted him down furiously, and spoke in a serious manner about sacrifices and ended by telling Rock to "Grow up". The Rock was left speechless because if he had started spewing something like "Know your role", or "Stick it up your candy-ass", he would have looked ridiculous after Foley's serious comments.

I am struggling to even think of some absolutely serious Rock promo where he wasn't talking about turning it sideways or rudy-poos or mickey mouse tattoos or jabroni beating and pie -eating, and all I can think of are a couple of pre-records in the buildup to Brock at Summerslam '02 and the sitdown with Steve Austin and Jim Ross before Wrestlemania 17. But even those weren't the kind of money promo I mean.

This is just one of the areas that I felt Stone Cold far surpassed the Great One. Austin had an ability to make you think he legitimately believed what he was saying and made you forget it was an entertainment show. It was easy to totally believe in Austin as a real person. There was no winking at the audience or breaking of the tone with Austin when he was really at his peak between '97 and '99 and as a result he got you really psyched for his matches in a way that I don't think the Rock delivered. Anyone agree/disagree or who are some of your favourite "serious promo" men?

· Registered
4,644 Posts
"I am struggling to even think of some absolutely serious Rock promo where he wasn't talking about turning it sideways or rudy-poos or mickey mouse tattoos or jabroni beating and pie -eating"

oh god, daily thread of rock and austin...we really live in a sad state unable to forget the pass. WWE and the PG product really really suck. from what i know, rock only use few times catchprase on Steve Austin in early 99 but Austin came out totally own the rock and kill his catchphrases. afterward i believe rock never use it again on Austin.. "some punk kid spittin' out nursery rhymes" >>>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhvwkE_uV1w

· Banned
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fair enough, I can see how somebody wouldn't find him that funny. Personally, i preferred the promo style of Austin, Foley, Flair, Michaels, Taker, Bret and others. Who did you think was able to cut a great serious promo?

· Banned
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I had asked "Was Rock let down by poor technical skills? Obviously he still sold tickets...", it wouldn't stop us discussing his wrestling ability just because he was a draw. Why can't a question be asked about his mic skills in the same way?

· Asuka
^Take this off
126,684 Posts
Why close thread? My question isn't about selling tickets or PPVs.
He's basically saying the point of wrestling is to sell tickets, and since Rock did that, he didn't need to change anything about his routine which makes the point of the thread moot. And he certainly didn't need to change anything about his routine, because there was no demand for it, because...wrestling fans are crazy.

Doesn't mean his mic skills still can't be discussed, but not in a way where it's made to look like his material was a detriment because it certainly wasn't. People ate it up just like they did the crap Hogan spewed out and just like the crap Cena is spewing out now.

· Registered
4,644 Posts
if you asking about serious promo then why don't you have that question for your title? best serious promo have goes to Jake the snake of 80's era and Austin of 90's era...you can't beat those you. Rock,Shawn,Taker,Kurt all failed to beat austin on mic but one guy i seen able to that but his from 80's is Piper who totally own the crowd with what chant http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evTe_Gqe75k

· I must away and tend to my ravens
12,225 Posts
Why close thread? My question isn't about selling tickets or PPVs.
If I had asked "Was Rock let down by poor technical skills? Obviously he still sold tickets...", it wouldn't stop us discussing his wrestling ability just because he was a draw. Why can't a question be asked about his mic skills in the same way?
Because it's WWE, ticket sales and PPV buys are the only measuring stick that matter when judging a main-eventer. With mid-carders wrestling ability can matter since they're matches are best used for that purpose but that's not what you're talking about is it.

Rock gave 'The People' what they wanted and 'It Doesn't Matter' whether he was as well rounded as a Stone Cold Steve Austin (sorry, had to do it)

· Banned
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know the point of wrestling is to sell tickets but that shouldn't stop us being able to discuss the merits of different wrestlers through history. That's like saying we can't ever question anything Austin, Hogan, Flair, Rock, DX, NWO etc ever did because they were all massive draws. Some of the above are better technical wrestlers, some are better on the mic, some have more charisma... whats wrong with discussing that? Just because someone was a draw doesn't mean every facet of their game was perfect. For example, Hogan wasn't a great technical wrestler. That point isn't invalid just because he drew money

· I must away and tend to my ravens
12,225 Posts
I know the point of wrestling is to sell tickets but that shouldn't stop us being able to discuss the merits of different wrestlers through history. That's like saying we can't ever question anything Austin, Hogan, Flair, Rock, DX, NWO etc ever did because they were all massive draws. Some of the above are better technical wrestlers, some are better on the mic, some have more charisma... whats wrong with discussing that? Just because someone was a draw doesn't mean every facet of their game was perfect. For example, Hogan wasn't a great technical wrestler. That point isn't invalid just because he drew money
The problem is that you picked a terrible example. You're asking whether The Rock being funny was detrimental, the fact that he was one of the two biggest stars in wrestling when he was active disproves it. I'd actually go the other way, had he been more serious his in-ring ability would have been the subject of greater focus and that would've been detrimental.

· Banned
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No, I'm asking you too forget about ticket sales and ppv buys. On a fan level, I found that I engaged more with certain other wrestlers because I could believe more in them. I found The Rock to be too tongue in cheek for my tastes. Basically I am asking if anyone else found that too? And if so, what wrestlers did you find that with?

· Banned
4,461 Posts
It seems to me looking back that, though The Rock was unquestionably hilarious and extremely charismatic, one of his weaker areas was in terms of cutting a straight, deadly serious promo.
I only got one thing to say on this...when it came down to it, the fans listened to what the Rock and Austin said more than anyone during that era and he was damn serious when it came down to the WWF title and putting it over. That's why he's great. He was the one who hit money promos when it mattered.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.