Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Usually the face of the company is the most popular star with biggest fanbase and charisma.

80's- Hogan was the face of WWF and transcended wrestling and became household name. Everyone knew who he was.

mid 00's- Cena became FOTC for 10 years and no one rivaled his popularity. He is now starring in movies and pretty mainstream.

AE- Stone Cold was face of the company and received the biggest pops. The biggest merch seller and made WWF millions of dollars. But Rock, who was less over (still popular though), became the bigger mainstream star.

Is Rock prime example of a wrestler becoming more popular than the FOTC/main star on the same roster?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes.

The Rock is far bigger than pro wrestling in general. I would even say he is above it.
I wonder if anyone saw it coming. Stone Cold was by far the biggest star during AE and got massive pops. Rock got big reactions too but not like Austin. Fans always preferred Austin over Rock (even though Rock was popular too). But it was Rock who became a massive maintream superstar. Imagine if Hogan was face of WWF in 80's but Piper or Flair became the Hollywood star.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I wonder if anyone saw it coming. Stone Cold was by far the biggest star during AE and got massive pops. Rock got big reactions too but not like Austin. Fans always preferred Austin over Rock (even though Rock was popular too). But it was Rock who became a massive maintream superstar. Imagine if Hogan was face of WWF in 80's but Piper or Flair became the Hollywood star.
I dunno.

By late 1999, I think Rock was slightly more popular.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Doubt it, if anything, putting him on the nation and giving him a mic was a last gasp situation. At best he was supposed to be that era's Randy Orton. But he exceeded all expectations.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My mother and father has no clue who "The Rock" is.

But my mother and father knows who Hulk Hogan is.

He's a megastar in Hollywood, but in todays celebrity world, he's one of many.

Hulk Hogan became a face on an entire sport industry. Just like Gretzky and Jordan.
I think you misunderstood my question. I am saying The Rock was the rare one who was bigger than the face of the company aka Stone Cold. Hogan was face during his time and no one was bigger than him. No one was bigger than Cena during his time. Some might say Batista is a bigger star with GOTG. But SCSA was more popular than Rock but Rock became bigger.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
AE- Stone Cold was face of the company and received the biggest pops. The biggest merch seller and made WWF millions of dollars. But Rock, who was less over (still popular though) became the bigger mainstream star.

I think by mid to late 1999 he did become more popular, and the year after he was definitely the FOTC, and if I'm not mistaken, that was the year that the company peaked financially.

From late 1999 till he left in 2004 he was their top star, but I think a lot of people don't see him as a FOTC type guy because he was never pushed as one. He had to overcome a lot of political crap to reach that spot. If you look up his AE WM record, he's 1-3, and his only win was by DQ against Shamrock, he basically lost ever world title main-event he's been in.

The Rock never won a world title at WM, let that sink in..

·
Registered
847 Posts
Perhaps you could argue Punk although I do think Cena still wins there. He can't come close to Cena in Hollywood but he did give him a run on who was bigger from 11-13 and did have some success drawing in MMA. Also if he were to comeback it would be huge for wrestling. Much bigger than any Cena match now.

But yeah Rock is the shining example.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Perhaps you could argue Punk although I do think Cena still wins there. He can't come close to Cena in Hollywood but he did give him a run on who was bigger from 11-13 and did have some success drawing in MMA. Also if he were to comeback it would be huge for wrestling. Much bigger than any Cena match now.

This is a bit of a myth.

Punk and Bryan were pushed hard between 2011-2014, but neither of them had any sustained success outdrawing Cena.

Cena's merchandise numbers in particular were consistently higher. And remember, this was in 2013 and 2014, at least 3 years after Cena's drawing power had peaked.

·
Registered
847 Posts

This is a bit of a myth.

Punk and Bryan were pushed hard between 2011-2014, but neither of them had any sustained success outdrawing Cena.

Cena's merchandise numbers in particular were consistently higher. And remember, this was in 2013 and 2014, at least 3 years after Cena's drawing power had peaked.
Cena hit that Kmart deal so yeah it doesn't surprise he'd retake over merch. The Rock feud really elevated his brand.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I think by mid to late 1999 he did become more popular, and the year after he was definitely the FOTC, and if I'm not mistaken, that was the year that the company peaked financially.

From late 1999 till he left in 2004 he was their top star, but I think a lot of people don't see him as a FOTC type guy because he was never pushed as one. He had to overcome a lot of political crap to reach that spot. If you look up his AE WM record, he's 1-3, and his only win was by DQ against Shamrock, he basically lost ever world title main-event he's been in.

The Rock never won a world title at WM, let that sink in..
Star power > booking

The Great One was never given a win streak, Superman booking or any of that crap. Yet, he remained OVER because of his IT factor. That's what the current roster lacks.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I don't know, it might be related to The Rock personality, most top wrestler during his time or before him willing to "kill" each other just to be on top of "food chain". He lost in main event of Wrestlemania for three times in row(99 - 01), put over a lot talents because he know they earn it, he also never have issue at backstage.

·
tombstone blues
14,293 Posts
The Rock wasn't bigger than Stone Cold until after Stone Cold wasn't the face of the company any more

People forget the initial reaction to The Rock in Hollywood. His cameo in The Mummy 2 didn't move the needle either way, but his very first leading role in The Scorpion King was panned. The movie sucked, he sucked, he was another musclebound meathead who wasn't going to cut it at the top level of Hollywood. A lot of people said he made a mistake leaving wrestling for acting. He proved them all wrong, but this whole narrative that he was bigger than Austin by 2000 and it was smooth sailing after that is a bit of airbrushing

Even in 2000 Austin was presented as the bigger deal. The Rock vs HHH constantly featured what is Austin going to do where is Austin whose side is Austin on etc.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
The Rock wasn't bigger than Stone Cold until after Stone Cold wasn't the face of the company any more

People forget the initial reaction to The Rock in Hollywood. His cameo in The Mummy 2 didn't move the needle either way, but his very first leading role in The Scorpion King was panned. The movie sucked, he sucked, he was another musclebound meathead who wasn't going to cut it at the top level of Hollywood. A lot of people said he made a mistake leaving wrestling for acting. He proved them all wrong, but this whole narrative that he was bigger than Austin by 2000 and it was smooth sailing after that is a bit of airbrushing

Even in 2000 Austin was presented as the bigger deal. The Rock vs HHH constantly featured what is Austin going to do where is Austin whose side is Austin on etc.
This. Austin was always more popular than Rock during their run in WWF. I watch back AE segments on Youtube and Austin got the loudest pops while Rock was always second. It's the best plot twist that Rock became the biggest actor in the world. The fact that he was always in SCSA's shadow and the lesser popular one but became one of the biggest stars on the planet is fucking awesome. I sort of see it with Becky Lynch and Sasha. Clearly Becky's presented as the biggest female star in WWE but Sasha's the one on Wild N Out and the face of beauty brands and doing talk shows. I was in Vegas and one store had cutouts of The Rock, Sasha, Chuck Norris and Bruce Lee. Not saying Sasha is in the league of those 3 but there's a reason why the company chose Sasha out of all the women.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Austin was turned for the Rock and those plans were laid out in late 99 he just got hurt pushing it back. If he wasn't equaling him in 99/00 the gap is so small it doesn't matter. What people miss is the torch was being passed it was just being done slowly due to how much Austin mattered to the company. The plan was Austin wins but turns at 17 then at 18 Rock beats him and takes over. Rock just kept getting movie offers so it never came to be. Austin then went back to face to avoid putting HHH over.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Bigger in the mainstream market, for sure. Ever since Rock hosted that episode of SNL in March 2000, his momentum skyrocketed in the public sphere. I don't know if I would say the same in wrestling, because Austin was there to challenge him the whole way except in 2000 and even that year had Triple H and the tag team division stepping up and stealing the show at times.

Austin had the benefit of being off almost a year too so when he returned he was more fresh than The Rock who was kind of flatlining by the fall of 2000 since there was really no one left for him to feud with that would draw big money. I think the wrestling fans always embraced Austin more due to him being more identifiable as a working-class guy and just a straight in your face WRESTLER. Rock was the guy who broke out and used his mainstream fame to bring in more of a starstruck audience (women especially lol.)

I guess it depends on how you look at it. Rock has gotten to the point now where a lot of people hardly see him as a former wrestler. He broke out of that bubble, whereas Austin was always confined to it. Yet Steve got a lot of people watching just by his wrestling angles and inherent badass charisma alone, so there's that to consider too.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts