Wrestling Forum banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
Once he turned babyface in 1999 he no longer needed the title. He was never a really great as champion either. He's a guy who was more fun to watch chase the belt.

·
Registered
211 Posts
He was booked weak, he only won the title due to Austin, lost it the next month, got it back by beating Vince, not HHH, didn't get to beat Taker at Summerslam 2000, lost to him in under 5 minutes clean in Sept of 2000. Was overshadowed by HHH and Kurt fued over Steph. HaD Austin never hurt his neck you would have had Austin vs HHH iron man match for the title at WM 2000.

·
Registered
Charisma is when people look at you and start shivering.
625 Posts
HaD Austin never hurt his neck you would have had Austin vs HHH iron man match for the title at WM 2000.
The match which was going to take place at wrestlemania had Austin not hurt his neck was The Rock(as a face) vs Steve Austin(as a heel), with Austin dropping the title to The Rock.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
The match which was going to take place at wrestlemania had Austin not hurt his neck was The Rock(as a face) vs Steve Austin(as a heel), with Austin dropping the title to The Rock.
Lol, where is this HHH vs Austin thing coming from. Even almighty Dave Meltzer reported way back in April, 2000 that:

Wrestling Observer Newsletter April 3, 2000:
"The company had been building for the coronation of Rock as the face of the company for months, even before Austin went down with a career threatening neck injury. The plans for Mania, formerly locked in stone nearly one year ahead of time, seemingly were changing every few weeks. Austin suffered a career threatening injury. But Rock reached popularity heights that probably surpass Austin at his peak. The company has never been hotter."

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Lol, where is this HHH vs Austin thing coming from. Even almighty Dave Meltzer reported way back in April, 2000 that:

"The company had been building for the coronation of Rock as the face of the company for months, even before Austin went down with a career threatening neck injury. The plans for Mania, formerly locked in stone nearly one year ahead of time, seemingly were changing every few weeks. Austin suffered a career threatening injury. But Rock reached popularity heights that probably surpass Austin at his peak. The company has never been hotter."
lol. I've never heard any rumor about HHH and Austin facing each other at WM 16.

From my understanding, they were gonna turn Austin heel and put him in a WM program with Rock, in which will end up with Rock coming out on top and Austin taking time off to do the surgery. All of that was canceled due to Austin's condition. A year went by, Austin made his return, and within months, he turned heel, which means that the WM 16 rumors were actually true.

·
Registered
338 Posts

It bugs me far more that it should that this piece from the Observer was never once mentioned in the Grilling JR podcast which has covered from late 99 to Judgement Day 01 (so far).

After listening to most of Conrad's podcasts over the years, he really hammers down those points when they look favourably on Hogan, Austin and Cena.

I'd genuinely love to hear JR's perspective when that evidence is brought up but it's like they just totally bypass it.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
It bugs me far more that it should that this piece from the Observer was never once mentioned in the Grilling JR podcast which has covered from late 99 to Judgement Day 01 (so far).

After listening to most of Conrad's podcasts over the years, he really hammers down those points when they look favourably on Hogan, Austin and Cena.

I'd genuinely love to hear JR's perspective when that evidence is brought up but it's like they just totally bypass it.
Why do you care about their opinion so much? I take numbers from them and then do my own analysis, rather than just rely on opinion of certain people. Lol.

·
Registered
Charisma is when people look at you and start shivering.
625 Posts

And that's where from " The Rock only got big when Austin was out " misconception arises. Some of these types of people are hilarious lol and all over the Internet (mostly Facebook).

You won't believe when I shared my thoughts on Rock vs Hogan in a FB group, most of the replies were should have been Hogan vs Austin. And Rock only got the match because Austin declined it first!

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
And that's where from " The Rock only got big when Austin was out " misconception arises. Some of these types of people are hilarious lol and all over the Internet (mostly Facebook).

You won't believe when I shared my thoughts on Rock vs Hogan in a FB group, most of the replies were should have been Hogan vs Austin. And Rock only got the match because Austin declined it first!
They still can't believe that their hero was surpassed by The Rock way back in 1999. Even someone like Dave Meltzer also reported that as seen in the quote I posted.

So, let them keep crying and just smack them down with all the stats/videos we've got. In reply let them bring opinion of few people, cause that's all they got now😎

Reactions: Mr Charismatic

·
Registered
211 Posts
Rock caught Austin in the fall of 99 because Austin's neck acted up and his knee's were shot, had he made it to WM 2000 he would have lost to the Rock but without the neck injury he never takes time off, which allowed Rock to catch him, Rock was programed with Foley while Austin was out of action dealing with injuries, they were even in the fall of 99. The WWF was hot in 2000 because of the overal roster was much deeper than 98 and 99 while WCW was dead by then due to he poor booking in early 99. WM 2000 was supposed to be Rock's crowning moment but Vince still saw Austin as his number one guy which is why HHH retained at WM 2000 and only lost when Austin came back. Also Vince McMahon himself said Rock was never as big as Austin as has Chris Jericho. Rock;s character wasn't the same in 2000 as it was in 99.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Rock caught Austin in the fall of 99 because Austin's neck acted up and his knee's were shot, had he made it to WM 2000 he would have lost to the Rock but without the neck injury he never takes time off, which allowed Rock to catch him, Rock was programed with Foley while Austin was out of action dealing with injuries, they were even in the fall of 99. The WWF was hot in 2000 because of the overal roster was much deeper than 98 and 99 while WCW was dead by then due to he poor booking in early 99. WM 2000 was supposed to be Rock's crowning moment but Vince still saw Austin as his number one guy which is why HHH retained at WM 2000 and only lost when Austin came back. Also Vince McMahon himself said Rock was never as big as Austin as has Chris Jericho. Rock;s character wasn't the same in 2000 as it was in 99.
Would have, could have....who cares? As the saying goes, " If ifs and ands were pots and pans, there would be no work for tinker's hands."
Fact is Rock surpassed Austin in popularity by the fall of 1999. Nothing can be done now. It's all set.
People can opine all they want, but they can't counter the fact that Rock's segments drew bigger ratings than Austin, Rock headlined lot more PPVs that had over 500k buys than Austin, Rock headlined a record 100 houses with over 10k attendance on top and broke Austin's record.
I would rather take all these accomplishments than anyone's opinion, to be honest.

·
Registered
GOATS
548 Posts
WM 2000 was supposed to be Rock's crowning moment but Vince still saw Austin as his number one guy which is why HHH retained at WM 2000 and only lost when Austin came back.
Even before Austin went out, the plan was for Rock (face) vs Austin (heel) at WM2000, but didn’t happen after Austin injury, Rock was booked weak regardless that year anyway, from royal Rumble to his title reign.

·
it's a tarp!
6,747 Posts
That would be the case, it’s actually funny when you look at the fact that he was at the forefront of most major storylines in big PPVs that year, from the Rumble to WM to SS to Survivor Series…
It still bugs me just a little that Triple H was going to get The Rocks spot in 1998, but was injured going into their Ladder match so Rock got the call instead.

Clearly WWE just saw Rock as a good hand, but viewed Hunter as the endgame.

·
Registered
GOATS
548 Posts
It still bugs me just a little that Triple H was going to get The Rocks spot in 1998, but was injured going into their Ladder match so Rock got the call instead.

Clearly WWE just saw Rock as a good hand, but viewed Hunter as the endgame.
+ the crowd reactions for The Rock helped that, which was even more proofed when he blew the roof off the arena at IYH: Breakdown.
But I don’t think it’ll worked, he was still felt like HBK lackey. But I think his booking over Rock in 2000 was ridiculous, not only their matches but from the start to the finish of the year.

·
it's a tarp!
6,747 Posts
+ the crowd reactions for The Rock helped that, which was even more proofed when he blew the roof off the arena at IYH: Breakdown.
But I don’t think it’ll worked, he was still felt like HBK lackey. But I think his booking over Rock in 2000 was ridiculous, not only their matches but from the start to the finish of the year.
For me I am ambivalent.

Rock was clearly a megastar, but without any of the solid booking that usually goes with it. But, and it's a big but. 2000 was Triple H's year, he was truly great, and as much as I would have loved to have seen Rock finally get pushed to the level he deserved, Triple H delivered, fully.

Indeed, Triple H over delivered.

·
Registered
GOATS
548 Posts
He did, i do think the entire feud with Foley and winning at WM was needed to solidify him as a main event wrestler and the top heel but after Rock won the title, the show should’ve been focused on him, from Backlash till Summerslam when he gets a little big win against Taker while beating HHH to end the feud in a match kinda like Summerslam ‘98

·
it's a tarp!
6,747 Posts
He did, i do think the entire feud with Foley and winning at WM was needed to solidify him as a main event wrestler and the top heel but after Rock won the title, the show should’ve been focused on him, from Backlash till Summerslam when he gets a little big win against Taker while beating HHH to end the feud in a match kinda like Summerslam ‘98
In the timeframe as I saw it, The Rock as a heel had supplanted Austin as a babyface.

When Steve was gone, and potentially gone for good as no-one really knew. The Rock seemed like the clear choice to become the company'e number one guy.

My anticipation of this was huge, it seemed like a no-brainer. Heel Rock outshine's Austin, so as the number one guy, and a babyface, the WWF is going to go stratospheric.

They went a different way.

Rock became mostly background noise, but still the most over guy there. And Hunter delivered in his new role.

Would I have made that choice? Hell no. But I cannot say that I did not enjoy the content at that time, and it holds up against (almost) every year the WWE has been going.

Then Steph became head writer and WWE's decline followed.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts