Wrestling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Banned
191 Posts
Yeah it was he got overshadowed by austin return at backlash after winning the title as a babyface for the first time in over 13 months then lost the title at the next ppv at judgement day then won the title back at king of the ring by pinning vince instead of hhh got overshadowed in summerslam by the love triangle then lost to rookie kurt at no mercy

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Yeah it was he got overshadowed by austin return at backlash after winning the title as a babyface for the first time in over 13 months then lost the title at the next ppv at judgement day then won the title back at king of the ring by pinning vince instead of hhh got overshadowed in summerslam by the love triangle then lost to rookie kurt at no mercy
They didn't start treating him like the star he was until his return in 2001.

·
Registered
8,326 Posts
WWF should have kept Rock as he was in 1999, a face who acted like a heel and have him run against the real heels like Triple H. The fans cheered corporate rock anyway, so let him be THAT character. Instead of the “finally”, and “it doesn’t matter” nonsense. Rock of 1999 was a real kayfabe character who acted in storylines as said character. Rock in 2000 was an attraction who repeated the greatest hits to live crowds. And that direction eventually got him booed.

·
Banned
191 Posts
Admittedly this comes from a fan of The Rock, but I always felt babyface Rock was booed because people were disappointed he wasn't HEEL Rock, and they wanted to turn him to get some HEEL Rock.

Everybody wanted to see HEEL Rock.
He was stale in 2002 as a babyface but so was austin

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
WWF should have kept Rock as he was in 1999, a face who acted like a heel and have him run against the real heels like Triple H. The fans cheered corporate rock anyway, so let him be THAT character. Instead of the “finally”, and “it doesn’t matter” nonsense. Rock of 1999 was a real kayfabe character who acted in storylines as said character. Rock in 2000 was an attraction who repeated the greatest hits to live crowds. And that direction eventually got him booed.
Admittedly this comes from a fan of The Rock, but I always felt babyface Rock was booed because people were disappointed he wasn't HEEL Rock, and they wanted to turn him to get some HEEL Rock.

Agree with these so much. This is what I’ve been thinking for such a long time. Rock from 2000 onwards just wasn’t the same. I think people tend to forget how goofy and just too babyface like he started to become that year.

·
The Babyface of WF
"What I've always wanted...A better world"
17,765 Posts
Agree with these so much. This is what I’ve been thinking for such a long time. Rock from 2000 onwards just wasn’t the same. I think people tend to forget how goofy and just too babyface like he started to become that year.
Rock slowly lost his more authentic Character nature by his return for SummerSlam 2001, More comedic but reliant with the unorthodox disposition he had years prior that made him different from the rest of the roster in a better light.

I can understand why some fans say this Rock was just Dwayne playing the Character rather than actually being the Character.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts

Honestly I prefer Heel Rock. Heel Rock is such a cool arrogant cocky character. Had lots of suave in him. It’s why despite at first the fans hating him that he left to make movies, eventually they loved Hollywood Rock.

·
Registered
11,333 Posts
I don't actually remember any of Austin or Rock's title runs specifically as a memorable "reign" except that they happened a few times.

Actually in general most WWE/WWF reigns since the early 90s are fairly unmemorable. They are either too long with nothing happening or too short that you forgot they happened.

·
Registered
GOATS
548 Posts
Pretty much this, he also wasn’t going off on his opponent and owning them on the mic like he would in 99 but rather do some dumb jokes here and there which you could see the decrease of his overness in that year compared to 99.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I feel Rock is better on the mic when freestyling. The more loaded up on catchphrases he is (like he was from 2000 onwards) the less enjoyable it is to listen to him talk.

Then again, as the FOTC I can see how important it was to give the crowd some lines to chant along with.

·
Registered
GOATS
548 Posts
The title was booked like shit and the two reign killed off the heat, adding the fact that he was the third wheel in the second biggest event of the year at Summerslam and his promos were pretty much average and worse compared to 99. His character felt watered down and they took a lot of what made him cool to begin with, also I personally never liked the music theme he used that year.

·
Registered
9,174 Posts
Rock was awesome in 2000. Drawing big, rating big and selling merch by the truckload to everyone and their dead grandmas. He looked great with the title and great chasing it as well. I don't see the problem.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Rock was awesome in 2000. Drawing big, rating big and selling merch by the truckload to everyone and their dead grandmas. He looked great with the title and great chasing it as well. I don't see the problem.
It was awesome at the time and I loved it as a kid. But I can see watching back now how much more cool and interesting Corporate Rock seems to 2000 Rock. I always pop big when he mentions how much his shirt cost. But it's still revisionism to say it was stale at the time. Because he clearly wasn't until much later.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Loss at Judgment Day was totally unwarranted. But 5th reign was quite good. Also Rock chasing title drew bigger PPV buys. King of The Ring 2000 is the highest drawing KOTR PPV of all time with nearly 480k buys. Without Rock chasing the belt, it would have definitely got less buys. So booking wise bad, but business wise quite good.

Reactions: Mr Charismatic

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I have read somewhere i dont remeber but wasn't his 5th reign supposed to be longer?
I think he should've kept it till Mania 17. Dropping the belt to Angle at No Mercy made no sense to me whatsoever. But then again Rock chasing the belt drew record PPV buys at No Way Out 2001. That event is the biggest drawing No Way Out in WWF/E history. Without Rock chasing, it wouldnt get anywhere close to 590k buys as they did, since Austin vs HHH failed to draw huge buys for their first encounter, so second had even lesser chance.

·
Registered
Charisma is when people look at you and start shivering.
625 Posts
I think he should've kept it till Mania 17. Dropping the belt to Angle at No Mercy made no sense to me whatsoever. But then again Rock chasing the belt drew record PPV buys at No Way Out 2001. That event is the biggest drawing No Wat Out in WWF/E history. Without Rock chasing, it wouldnt get anywhere close to 590k buys as they did, since Austin vs HHH failed to draw huge buys for their first encounter, so second had even lesser chance.
Rock must have lobbied for Kurt to win. I doubt without his words it would have happened. And I agree he should have hold the belt up to wrestlemania 17. Matter of fact, after losing the title to The Rock at No Way Out, they had no one ready for Angle to feud with🤔

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Rock must have lobbied for Kurt to win. I doubt without his words it would have happened. And I agree he should have hold the belt up to wrestlemania 17. Matter of fact, after losing the title to The Rock at No Way Out, they had no one ready for Angle to feud with🤔
Absolutely. Late 2000 and early 2001 booking was really strange for all parties involved. Be it Rock, Angle, HHH and even Austin.
May be WWF thought that revealing Rock as the man to run down Austin would cool him off or may be because of him leaving for shooting post WM 17, they tried to create another big superstar in Kurt Angle. What better way than to make him WWF champion!
But of course, we all knew what happened when Rock left.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Listening to Angle's podcast, it's quite funny to think he believed Mania 17 was going to be him vs Austin right up until the days before No Way Out.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts