Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we’ve talked many times at just how god awful Rock was booked during 2000, but when talking about his run with the title itself, do you feel like it just fell flat? I think his win at Backlash 2000 was really cool and is what should have been the start of a reign until Angle would beat him later that year. But then out of the blue he lost the title back to HHH after only 20 freaking days, and of course Rock got it back not long after, but that stupid break with HHH really seemed to ruin his momentum for the rest of his reign. The crowd just didn’t seem into him the same way they were before losing to HHH at Judgment Day. Also Undertaker’s return and the HHH/Angle/Stephanie triangle really overshadowed Rock during his reign. Was any of this Rock’s fault, was he just simply a boring champion at times, or was this all the bookings fault? I know a lot of marks starting turning on him like crazy during this time period, and I think a lot of it had to do with his reign as champion just not working like it should have.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
2000 is my all time favorite year and the better storylines came from The Rock chasing the title. But he was sooooo over with or without it. He was good in 2000 and it was that period which has propelled him to the position he is in today.

·
Waiting for Kawato
1,760 Posts
It is pretty baffling that a star as big as The Rock has no major defining title reign the way that most of the greats do. Business was good, so there’s no REAL reason to complain, but yeah, that the longest run he ever had involved him pinning Vince for the title, lasted like 4 months, and I can’t really remember one single match from it where as I could still tell you most of the feuds from Bret’s 94 run, Shawn’s 96 run, Austin’s 97 one, even Cena’s 06/07 one is pretty sad. How did it even end? :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
all of his title reigns have been disappointing, he wasn't stone cold so he played hot potato with the belt like he was Bret Hart, he shouldn't have dropped it to Kurt Angle that year, Kurt wasn't ready

·
Registered
426 Posts
I didnt like him dropping it at Judgement day and then winning it back from Vince. That said we got some great matches and feuds, i personally think the Fully Loaded program with Benoit and match were fantastic, a step up from what he had been doing with HHH post judgement day. The SS main event he was kinda the 3rd wheel in the Kurt/HHH i wanna bang steph storyline but the matches were great.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I once made a thread where I compared the average title reign length of most WWE superstars, it was quite shocking how low on the list Rock was. He only had one reign that lasted more than 2 months in his prime. His 2013 title win over Punk is the second longest reign of his career, and that was only 70 days from the Rumble until Wrestlemania!

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Rock doesn't really need the title. He's also better at chasing it then holding it imo. Triple H and Kurt Angle needed the title in 2000.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
As a Rock fan, even back then as I watched it in real time, I was mad at how bad his booking was...especially compared to Triple H. However, there is no denying that he was the undisputed top star in 2000. Also, even before their WM 17 showdown and after the joy of Austin's return wore off, you can even say Rock was a tad more popular tham Stone Cold (before anyone tries to refute that with the crowd responses at WM 17, that event was in TEXAS...Austin country).

Austin's heel turn changed the tide in who was more popular as Austin never recovered his top babyface spot even after turning back face at the end of 2001.

Rock may have never had that signature title run, but he had what the Triple H's and others dreamed of: the top spot on the card and being able to make it to equal footing and even surpass the company's mega star!!!

·
Registered
13,274 Posts
Angle winning title was stupid considering they had no long term plan for him. Once he dropped it they didn't even build up for his match at Wrestlemania 17. Match was only put together last minute

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
It really didn't have a direction. Austin's run was great because you had the big storylines with Taker, Vince and then he loses the belt and regains it against the corporate champ.

Rock just kind of feuded with Angle and Benoit with HHH and Taker in the mix. The product was still on fire it just didn't have much of a story to it on Rock's end. The big story was HHH, Steph and Angle.

·
Registered
783 Posts
He had great feuds with Benoit, Angle and Undertaker.. so no. The crowd popped like crazy when he won at KOTR and was throwing trash in the ring after he lost it at Judgment Day
My only gripe is we never got the babyface match between Undertaker and The Rock on PPV, would've been perfect for a Summerslam main event

Fun piece of trivia: Rock's 2000 title reign was longer than any of Austin's title reigns (as a babyface). Which suggests that babyfaces are at their best character-wise when they are chasing the title, as opposed to their characters saturating when holding it especially for a long while.

It still remains one of the greatest years in WWE history (I put it the second of all time behind 1998) and that's mostly due to The Rock.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Beside, the Fully Loaded build up with Benoit(and the match itself), Rock's reign was mediocre at best, and mainly because of the creative. Instead of giving us Rock/Taker at summerslam, they threw Rock into the HHH/Steph/Kurt love triangle storyline for no logical reason, and he became an afterthought.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Beside, the Fully Loaded build up with Benoit(and the match itself), Rock's reign was mediocre at best, and mainly because of the creative. Instead of giving us Rock/Taker at summerslam, they threw Rock into the HHH/Steph/Kurt love triangle storyline for no logical reason, and he became an afterthought.
I agree 100% that it was supposed to be Rock/Taker. It would've been much bigger, and the fact that the triple threat didn't add nearly as much to Rock's reign as a Taker babyface feud would've, even if he went over the company's two biggest heels at the same time.

However, an afterthought wouldn't get the loudest pop and the biggest ovation of the night. He is Rock, He was THE thought. Take him out of the match and the feud wouldn't get that buzz. He's a main reason why the HHH/Angle feud was pretty lame after Summerslam ended and that Unforgiven build up they had as well as the match wasn't anything special.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
However, an afterthought wouldn't get the loudest pop and the biggest ovation of the night. He is Rock, He was THE thought. Take him out of the match and the feud wouldn't get that buzz. He's a main reason why the HHH/Angle feud was pretty lame after Summerslam ended and that Unforgiven build up they had as well as the match wasn't anything special.
I agree, but let's be honest here, the main focus was on HHH and Angle fighting over Stephanie. Rock wasn't needed in that feud.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Rock, and to a lesser extent Ric Flair, are the two biggest stars business has ever seen that you can book less than optimal and still be just as over. Austin would have be dead with a month of Rocks booking. Look how much he floundered in 02 with Rock-esque booking

·
Registered
Charisma is when people look at you and start shivering.
625 Posts
The Rock's title reigns in 2000 were decent if you look at them by match quality,title defenses. There were some negative points too like guys have mentioned:
1. The title switch at judgment day wasn't really needed. And about the match, The Rock looked less dominating compared to Triple H( two of his five falls didn't occur by pinfall or submission).
2. As the wwe champion, The Rock shouldn't have lost to The Undertaker in under 5 minutes- that too clean.
Sometimes I do wonder what if The Rock also had a dominant booking like Steve Austin,Hulk Hogan,John Cena or even Drew Mcintyre?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I’d have much preferred a Rock win at Wrestlemania 2000 followed by a few months as champion, but as people have already said, Rock didn’t really need the title at that point - he was already pretty damn huge.

·
The Babyface of WF
"What I've always wanted...A better world"
17,765 Posts
The Rock is one of those guys who feels above a Title anyway but he did deserve much better he's never Champion for an extensive period either not even as a Heel but he doesn't need to be.

2000 was a year for a guy like Hunter despite Rock far outclassing him in star power yet at the end of the day Star Power>Selfish booking.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts