Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I bought RAW's 15th Anniversary DVD 3 years ago and re-watched last night. On disc one (1993-1996) I noticed during 1-2-3 Kid and Bret Hart's match a lot of the crowd was not only made up of children but they were loud! Much like how they chant "Cena, Cena, Cena" today you could hear their squeaky voices chanting for Kid.

Now I wasn't even born back then, so was the product mainly for kids and are the years 93-96 worth checking out? I'm contemplating downloading all the RAWs.

Now this is where I may lose a few of you here but I also checked out British Bulldog vs Owen Hart and IMO they were better entertainers than Rock and Austin. Really they make Rock look like John Cena. Much like how we say today "John Cena can't lace The Rock's boots" I'm sure that when Rock and Austin became huge stars people were saying they ain't go nothing on Bulldog or Hart or Michaels.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
93-96 is a great Era. Just don't look 95, and if i was you i would not watch the Weeklys, most Matches are just Squash Matches, unless you watch for the Promos, who were there, and often great. 93 espcially Ludvig Borga Rules. The PPV's were moatly decent in the least.

·
Banned
4,120 Posts
You weren't born in the mid-90s? How old are you, son?

Anyway, yes, the New Generation was family-friendly. I loved the mid-90s, because you had Shawn, Bret, Diesel, Razor, 'Taker, Owen, Bulldog, Goldust, Jarrett, Kid, Hakushi (1995), etc., etc. Great roster.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
yes, the new generation was very PG..more so than even now. they didn't even have the lame jokes back then. the look on mean gene's face when someone would say BUTT was priceless. a lot of people seem to shit on that era as well and i really dont know why. yes, the attitude era was great and fun...but lets be honest..what was it? it was tits, swearing and blood. thats it. story lines, match quality sucked. it's funny because i remember how a lot of people used to complain about the attitude era because "all they do is talk"....and everyone touts the attitude era as the best ever. in a "boom for the business" aspect, yes it is. but i honestly think from say, 89-96 was a better period for wrestling overall. the thing about the attitude era that people need to remember is that it was basically 5 or 6 guys/factions. dx, rock, austin, mankind, undertaker, the divas showing their tits and shit. people say how great the mid card was...and it could have been however they were all thrown together in factions etc...no one separated themselves really. and if they did start to break out a little bit, it was still overpowered by the top tier guys at the time....and it wasnt even close. yes, there was a lot of talent, but it wasn't used any better than all the talented mid carders that everyone raves about now.
basically, vince said, ok, wcw is going to use my guys (nash, hall etc) to throw wcw's guys into production trucks and cause all kinds of carnage and mayhem...well, we'll start swearing and i'll let everyone kick my ass. which is basically exactly what happened.

...ok, this ended up being more about the attitude era than anything else...but yeah, that time period that the op talked about was def pg and it was even more so than now.

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You weren't born in the mid-90s? How old are you, son?

Anyway, yes, the New Generation was family-friendly. I loved the mid-90s, because you had Shawn, Bret, Diesel, Razor, 'Taker, Owen, Bulldog, Goldust, Jarrett, Kid, Hakushi (1995), etc., etc. Great roster.
Well I was born in the mid 90's (1994) but I didn't tart watching WWE till 99.

·
Banned
4,120 Posts
he was fucking awesome!
Yeah, he was. I keep forgetting to check out some of his stuff in Japan. I'm gonna hit the multimedia section now haha.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
What "The New Generation Era" was mainly about was building their new top stars up to carry WWE through until they had a roster of established stars again like they did in "The Golden Era" when they had Hulk Hogan, Andre, Randy Savage, The Ultimate Warrior, Ric Flair, The Undertaker, Ted DiBiase, The Hart Foundation, Demolition, The Road Warriors, Jake Roberts, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Mr Perfect and Sgt Slaughter just to name a few.

The problem was that in the space of around a year and a half WWE lost Hulk Hogan, The Ultimate Warrior, Ric Flair, Ted DiBiase, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Jake Roberts, Randy Savage in the ring and Mr Perfect so all of their established stars were gone and they needed to basically start all over. Because of Vince McMahon being involved in his trial for steroids WWE put their emphasis on making the talent they already had on the roster the new stars despite the majority of them being much smaller but which looked better for Vince McMahon's trial.

Because Bret Hart had already been given a WWE title run prior to Hulk Hogan briefly returning he was the man that started off as the main man in WWE whilst The Undertaker was always at the top of the card without being involved in the WWE title scene. At the same time they were building others up for the future like Shawn Michaels, Scott Hall as Razor Ramon, Owen Hart, Sean Waltman as The 123 Kid and then Kevin Nash as Diesel who was originally brought in as a bodyguard to Shawn Michaels to help build Shawn Michaels up as the top heel.

Because that group were now the main stars they had to then bring in a lot of talent from wherever the could to pack out the mid card and because of a lot of Vince McMahon's focus was on his trial a lot of people ended up with horrible gimmicks which meant people like Shawn Michaels, Scott Hall and Owen Hart would dominate the mid card to keep it looking stronger than it really was. There was a lot of people like Ludvig Borga, Adam Bomb, Doink and Max Moon who were not great but needed to pack out the roster in 1993 whilst in 1994 we saw veterans from the early to mid 80's like Bob Backlund, King Kong Bundy and Tom Pritchard return for prominent roles.

As an actual era it wasn't as bad as is often made out apart from parts of 1993 when Hulk Hogan basically destroyed all of the plans that year because he refused to put people over and then sat out the rest of his contract and virtually all of 1995 that didn't include Shawn Michaels and/or Scott Hall which saw those two more or less carry the company in the ring. I have always believed that the only reason 1996 did so bad in the ratings and with PPV buyrates was because of how bad 1995 was and then also because WCW then gave us The New World Order in the middle of the year but match quality wise 1996 was a very good year and was the platform for 1997 which for me was the best year in WWE history.

In 1996 we saw Bret Hart/Undertaker, Shawn Michaels/Owen Hart, Bret Hart/Diesel, Shawn Michaels/Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels/Mankind, Steve Austin/Savio Vega in their Carribean Strap match, Undertaker/Mankind in their Boiler Room Brawl and Bret Hart/Steve Austin as just some of the great feuds and matches that year. The only thing that WWE lacked in 1996 much like in 1994 was a major draw to help boost ratings and buyrates but 1994 and 1996 were both very good years in my opinion and despite what some people will say "The New Generation Era" as a whole was a good time to watch outside of 1995.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.