Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 436 Posts

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the attitude Era is always discussed in Wrestling topics but I had to discuss and post this thread. I started watching and concentrating on Wrestling in 2002 meaning I just missed out on the attitude era. I hear it's the most successful and most entertaining era but I've recently read a couple of posts on here and most seem to suggest that Attitude Era wasn't that special.

I have read that some storylines/segments/moments sucked like Big Bossman - Al Snow, Mae young giving birth to hand, Chyna beating Y2J, Celebrities entering RR and inducted in HOF, DDP the pervert storyling the Invasion angle (I still don't know why people say this failed) and more. I have also read on here that attitude era was just known for it's entertainment and storylines, not the wrestling.

So my question is, was the attitude era really that good as people say or is it just over rated?

·
Premium Member
15,036 Posts
To me, it wasn't as good as people are making it out to be. I was more into ECW and WCW at that time but the AE did have epic moments. But some people on here are making it out to be the biggest thing to hit wrestling, likely because thats when they began watching.

I think the AE has spoiled many fans and they want the AE to return. It has ran it's course and wouldn't be as noteworthy if it happens today.

·
Registered
8,320 Posts
The attitude era had it's great moments, but had some of it's shittiest moments in history too. The era was defined by Austin and the Rock and it was all pushing the envelope and acts topping one another every week for 4 years

Reactions: Alex DeLarge

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The attitude era had it's great moments, but had some of it's shittiest moments in history too. The era was defined by Austin and the Rock and it was all pushing the envelope and acts topping one another every week for 4 years
Then why do people define it as the best era in wrestling history? Was it the best in case of financially?

I have heard that Attitude Era did almost kill WWE so maybe that proves it wasn't that good after all.

·
Is a Becky Lynch Guy
2,098 Posts
Pretty much this. It had its hits and misses.

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
Look at the roster and the majority of the midcarders back then could be main eventers now, this made the whole show so much more interesting when you gave a shit about the whole card rather than just a few feuds like I do at the moment.

The card was stacked from top to bottom of great matches you know its good when the mid card is edge & christian vs hardy boyz vs dudley boyz in a tlc match.
Each PPV match would be a main event today.

That is why

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Look at the roster and the majority of the midcarders back then could be main eventers now, this made the whole show so much more interesting when you gave a shit about the whole card rather than just a few feuds like I do at the moment.

The card was stacked from top to bottom of great matches you know its good when the mid card is edge & christian vs hardy boyz vs dudley boyz in a tlc match.
Each PPV match would be a main event today.

That is why
Have you watched an video on youtube called "10 reasons why Attitude Era killed the product today" or something along those lines?

Also how do you explain that Attitude era almost ended WWE as a company.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well in my opinion its the best in the 5 eras ( Golden, Pre Attitude, Attitude, Post Attitude, Pg Eras)

Rock, Austin, Kane, Undertaker and HHH were the guys that holded it on their back.

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
Have you watched an video on youtube called "10 reasons why Attitude Era killed the product today" or something along those lines?

Also how do you explain that Attitude era almost ended WWE as a company.
It may have almost ended it, but WWE would be here today without it nor would any of the stars made in that era and there would have been no Rock vs Cena this year.

·
Banned
914 Posts
Every era had their epic and shitty moments.

But comparing the other eras with the Attitude Era makes it average in comparison.

Only other periods in wrestling history that I thought was almost on par with it was the late 80's Rock n Wrestling era and ECW in the mid 90's.

Attitude Era >>>>>>> WCW during the MNW, WWF late 80's, WCW/NWA late80's/early 90's, WWF New generation Era, WCW Vince Russo Era, WWE Ruthless Aggression Era, WWE PG Era

Simple. It's not because everything in the AE was perfect. Simply because it was better than the rest of those other eras, especially storyline and character wise.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
It was fucking amazing if you watched it WHILE it happened.. but if you try to go back and re-live the AE, without actually seeing live it's just not the same. It is a little overrated at times because people tend to forget how shitty some of the storylines were (Mae Young Hand, Terri Runnels miscarriage, Big Show/Bossman funeral, Al Snow eats his dog, the oddities, ect)

I love the AE, but people do tend to forget that it was far from the perfect picture many paint it to be.

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
It was fucking amazing if you watched it WHILE it happened.. but if you try to go back and re-live the AE, without actually seeing live it's just not the same. It is a little overrated at times because people tend to forget how shitty some of the storylines were (Mae Young Hand, Terri Runnels miscarriage, Big Show/Bossman funeral, Al Snow eats his dog, the oddities, ect)

I love the AE, but people do tend to forget that it was far from the perfect picture many paint it to be.
agreed if you watched it first time, you filter out all the shit and usually only remember the epic moments like mankind vs the undertaker hell in a cell etc.

You also remember just how fucked up it was looking back at it now as an adult rather than as a kid.

·
Premium Member
15,036 Posts
Aside from Austin, Rock and DX, AE was completely overrated. When people point out everything wrong with the business today, they compare it to the AE, which is why I say the AE has spoiled many fans.

The AE only worked thanks to the rivalry with WCW and the constant borrowing of ECW angles and performers. Big reason why AE wouldn't have worked after 2001.

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I am planning to watch Attidude Era episodes soon but I think it still would be awesome because if you try to compare it to today's wrestling then AE was great.

I have watched matches/segments on youtube and it does look different compared to today. I know youtube isn't the best way to judge an era but atleast it gives you an idea about it.

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also why does everyone hate the invasion storyline when mentioned how over rated the AE was?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
The A.E really was that good. Yes, it had some bad moments, but every era will, nothing is perfect. The A.E had many fantastic feuds and amazing matches to go with them. They had the whole crowd on their feet cheering and yelling. Wrestlers promos weren't 100% scripted like todays so not only did the matches feel raw, the characters felt raw/legit when they spoke and it made people listen (it also made some bad mic users a laughing stock at times. Look for Steve Blackman's promos where he doesn't even look at the camera when speaking. Too funny. Great in ring though!)

Then you had gimmicks that the fans cheered or booed. Right to Censor used to make me so angry. I used to fear that my favourite wrestlers would join them. I was so pissed when Godfather became Goodfather.

A.E had great moments, good moments and bad moments and stupid moments but NEVER boring moments. If the main event wasn't to your liking then the mid card feuds or gimmicks kept you entertained and that's what mattered.

Think of everything good about WWE today. A.E was that times ten.

The ONLY thing that the A.E was lacking with a few wrestlers was oddly...wrestling. At least till a little over mid way through the A.E before Benoit, Angle etc. joined or started getting noticed. Before that, the focus was more on kicking someones ass, splitting their heads open, bad mouthing them and walking back up the ram while they lay in a pool of their own blood. Punching, stomping, lots of weapon useage etc. was seen more than actual "wrestling".

Plus WWF was at it's most popular. People had a lot of friends that were all just as hyped up about it as you were which just made everything that more enjoyable.

The invasion storyline was after the A.E ended. A.E ended at WM17. Though some fans do like to think it ended at S.S 2001.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I am planning to watch Attidude Era episodes soon but I think it still would be awesome because if you try to compare it to today's wrestling then AE was great.

I have watched matches/segments on youtube and it does look different compared to today. I know youtube isn't the best way to judge an era but atleast it gives you an idea about it.
Yeah don't let what I said stop you from watching AE if you have never seen it. Still a bunch or great matches/moments/characters that are worth watching for almost any wrestling fan. Hope you enjoy it!

·
Registered
873 Posts
Then why do people define it as the best era in wrestling history? Was it the best in case of financially?

I have heard that Attitude Era did almost kill WWE so maybe that proves it wasn't that good after all.
Attitude is remembered fondly because:

A) Huuuuge ratings. ratings in the 7s if I remember correctly.

B ) crossover success. Rock, Stone Cold, and Vince himself became mainstream celebrities, or at least forces to be reckoned with. As a result, it was ok to be a wrestling fan again. Mainstream publications like Newsweek wrote stories about how wrestling was no longer "fake fighting" but a semi-legit fictional medium. You could wear your Stone Cold or Rock t-shirt out in public, without having to cut the tag off.

C) The evolution of the main event style. Austin v Dude Love at Over the Edge 97 established the kitchen sink, overbooked, story driven main event style that moved feuds such as Austin v McMahon, and Rock v HHH. It's not everybody's cup of tea, but it made sure that, good or bad, something was always happening.

D) Fantastic wrestling. Yes, fantstic. There was terrible wrestling for a good portion, but that changed with the arrival of Jericho, the Radicalz, and Kurt Angle. So you had to put up with Viscera, Mideon, and Test, but you also had surprisingly excellent matches coming from Rock, HHH, and Stone Cold (those guys could wrestle, despite what anyone tells you. Especially Austin.) Wrestlemania X-7 which is one of the most complete cards from top to bottom featured the best blend of booking, pure wrestling, and general entertainment I've ever seen.

E) Insane spotfests. The tag division with Edge & Christian, Hardyz, and Dudlyz was putting on TLC matches, that were as exciting as they were life shortening.

Basically, to get your answer, you have to better define what you mean by Attitude Era. 1997 featured pretty poor wrestling but you had Austin vs the Hart Foundation which gave us one of the greatest tag matches ever in Austin/Michaels vs Pillman/Hart, and the insane Canadian Stampede 10 man tag.

98 is what most people think of when they say the wrestling sucked, but 99 and 2000 brought Rock vs HHH, and 2001 gave us Benoit vs Jericho and the debut of Kurt Angle. The era was a mixed bag, but it made wrestling relevant again, which is something that hadn't happened for a long time.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
Most AE marks today are either people living it through youtube or nostalgic as hell.

There was plenty of garbage but the product was more fun, aggressive and loose which is the biggest difference.

People complain about today but let's be real:
AE ERA/TODAY--
Rikishi/Funasaurus
Scotty 2 Hotty/Zack Ryder
Billy Gunn/Dolph Ziggler
Chris Jericho/The Miz
Undertaker/Undertaker
Kane/Kane
Triple H/Triple H
D'Lo Brown/R-Truth

Test/Sheamus
Kurt Angle/ Daniel Bryan
Socko/Cobra

Pretty much the same shit with some exceptions

The biggest differences:
1--Lack of tag team division
2--Lack of significant star power
3--Aggression
4--fan interaction

The AE boasts having Rock & Austin, who are irreplaceable, and that's why people say its better but in reality the rest of the roster equals up pretty well. The booking was nonsense at times as well.

Most people are biased, but I'm not.

·
Premium Member
19,291 Posts
I think the Golden Era was better overall, but the Attitude Era had so much consistently crazy and unpredictable shit, that at the time, it was pretty amazing.

1 - 20 of 436 Posts