Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WWE in the past few years has felt very much like 2015. The look and feel has felt very stale, with questionable booking and use of talent.

When the 2016 draft happened, everything felt fresh and new.

Both shows had their own identity. When Balor got injured, instead of putting the title on a new guy they gave it to KO, to signify a new era.

Smackdown felt very new, and different.

The 2017 Superstar Shakeup hits, Smackdown gets gutted and both brands just don’t feel the same anymore, to the point a year later brand exclusive ppvs stop - and Raw just begins to lose that edge it had. Gone is the Shinedown Enemies theme, to a pop culture theme. Gone are the gritty graphic nameplates for ESPN style overly polished graphic nameplates.

Smackdown is just in a cycle of Shane McMahon vs KO, and Jinders reign. The booking gets so bad, they think the wildcard can fix it by 2019.

By 2019, both shows are now the same in look and feel - unlike late 2016 where they feel different.

By 2019, we go back to Rollins and Brock as champions - unlike late 2016 with a fresh face like KO.

And just like that, the 2016 draft, and late 2016 WWE that felt very new and fresh, just feels stale again.

Was it a missed opportunity? And can Triple H redo 2016’s rebirth properly this time?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Because Brock and Roman feud were put on pause therefore others got to shined very well. AJ Styles was also a huge fresh breath air additional to the roster.
I agree, because when Balor got injured they could of easily panicked and put it on Roman. And they decided to do something fresh.

The biggest statement they made was having Balor go over Roman clean on the first night of the new era.

Roman was the guy for all of the past year or so, but to show something different they had Balor win. They even had Roman have a feud with Rusev to keep him out of the title picture at Summerslam. They could of easily had Roman in the match at Summerslam, but for them it was about optics. Keep Roman away to show we are doing something different.

I wonder if we get another Roman moment for this era? Not to derail this thread, but Kross beating Roman clean could be the Balor moment of this new era.

5,708 Posts
I agree, because when Balor got injured they could of easily panicked and put it on Roman. And they decided to do something fresh.

The biggest statement they made was having Balor go over Roman clean on the first night of the new era.

Roman was the guy for all of the past year or so, but to show something different they had Balor win. They even had Roman have a feud with Rusev to keep him out of the title picture at Summerslam. They could of easily had Roman in the match at Summerslam, but for them it was about optics. Keep Roman away to show we are doing something different.

I wonder if we get another Roman moment for this era? Not to derail this thread, but Kross beating Roman clean could be the Balor moment of this new era.
Roman also violated WWE's wellness policy at that time so they kinda had to put him down the card at that time.

·
Premium Member
4,547 Posts
I think it was. The emergence of NXT talent, the arrival of AJ Styles using his own name, Dean Ambrose getting a chance as Champion, Finn Balor going straight to the top, women getting the big gimmick matches etc. It felt like someone had finally got through to Vince about how shit everything had been on the weekly programming side for two years and we were seeing impactful changes.

Brandon Thurston did a great piece on it where he showed how WWE increased in almost every relevant social media metric that year when it came to engagement. Then Jinder Mahal became Champion the following year and it tanked.

Brock Lesnar beating Roman Reigns at WrestleMania in 2018 was the moment I realised nothing was ever going to change with Vince in charge of creative. I'd go as far as saying that if he had resigned in 2016 the worth of WWE would be a lot closer to UFC than it is now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts