Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's hard to believe it was produced by the same person after these last two years. It was built on lots of promos and quick matches. Although I could do without seeing a jobber tag team like 2.0 get prominence in the main event, but aside from that, I think they knocked it out of the park. Great show!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I don't think it was their best ever. I'm reminded of some really strong gems like Brodie squashing Cody for the TNT belt, Kenny beating Moxley for the title, the Wargames match, etc. A very strong episode overall, though.

·
Registered
11,536 Posts
I've gotta say, I love the format the last couple weeks. Just sending out MJF to talk shit for 5 minutes is guaranteed to be a great segment.

They spent the whole episode building next week's card - definately not the best Dynamite ever.
IMO a weekly show should always be setting up the next thing, so I see this as a positive.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
The last weeks have been really good. I'm loving that on both dynamite and rampage you have matches with backstories. In wwe its usually just a random OH tonight on raw Cesaro vs whoever.

Plus something always happends that leads to the next show. And you get good promos and storyline progression while building people up.

I just cant get over how good dynamite is😍 its fun again

·
Registered
8,889 Posts
It's up there. Probably in the top 20.

Last week's was excellent too.

I hope Tony learned from how well these shows did and this is the format going forward.

1. You focus on the top 20 or so talents for the men and 15 or so for the women.

2. Keep geeks to a minimum instead of giving them their own segments.

3. Plenty of short promos, vignettes, and interviews to build characters and make us care about why these people are in the ring. That MJF promo which segued into the Pillman interview and the Black/Cody impromptu are great examples.

4. Matches are compact and get the job done of telling a story. You don't need 20 minute finisher kickout spamfests on weekly TV. Save that stuff for the biggest matches only.

If Tony keeps this formula, with the roster he has, the sky's the limit.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
It's up there. Probably in the top 20.

Last week's was excellent too.

I hope Tony learned from how well these shows did and this is the format going forward.

1. You focus on the top 20 or so talents for the men and 15 or so for the women.

2. Keep geeks to a minimum instead of giving them their own segments.

3. Plenty of short promos, vignettes, and interviews to build characters and make us care about why these people are in the ring. That MJF promo which segued into the Pillman interview and the Black/Cody impromptu are great examples.

4. Matches are compact and get the job done of telling a story. You don't need 20 minute finisher kickout spamfests on weekly TV. Save that stuff for the biggest matches only.

If Tony keeps this formula, with the roster he has, the sky's the limit.
Agreed this felt exactly how a weekly TV wrestling show should be

Short matches with more promos and pretaped videos to build to the next PPV/big event and the next weeks show

Save the spot heavy crazy matches for PPVs

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm not sure if I'd say the best, it really needed a killer main event and as much as I like Moxley and Kingston, throwing them against 2.0 ain't it. But overall the show was really great, with no random matches from someone nobody cares about thrown in the middle. I remember looking at the clock and seeing it was about 9:40 last night and thinking "damn, that was a quick almost two hours" which is possibly the best thing I can say about a show. It means I'm paying attention, it's engrossing and enjoyable.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
It flowed very smoothly and was two hours of great entertainment. Certainly one of the best produced and presented shows I can remember.

HOWEVER...

For match quality, I'm not sure it beats the Atlanta show just before the pandemic with...

• Cody beating Wardlow in the cage with a moonsault off the top. An awesome, textbook babyface vs. heel monster match. This is when Cody really felt like the hottest babyface in the industry, before the self-indulgence crept in too much.
  • Hangman & Kenny having an absolute barnbuster with the Lucha Brothers for the world tag belts.
  • Moxley and the IC's assassin Jeff Cobb having a really good match.
  • A surprisingly good women's match between Statlander and Shanna (better than Jade vs. Leyla)
  • A rare decent battle royal that made Bucks number one contenders for the tag belts.

Couple of other rivals that spring to mind:

• Best Friends vs. Ortiz/Santana parking lot brawl show with two strong undercard matches (FTR vs. Jurassics, Hangman vs. Kazarian)
  • Brodie Lee memorial show

Some would say Winter is Coming for the Mox vs. Kenny main event and Sting's debut, but I don't recall much else underneath that and AEW has upped the ante with surprises since then so it probably wouldn't feel as special anymore.

Weekly TV is hard to judge because a great weekly show gives you a buzz in the days after, but in a few weeks time it can be easily forgotten. Pro wrestling is a 52-week product and episodic, so it's so hard for the TV show to stand out compared to PPVs or specials. There were episodes of Dynamite early this year that people said were some of the best TV in 20 years, but would now struggle to recall in full.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
No, but it was pretty good. It was kind like a go home show before a big PPV.

A lot of characters being worked on and feuds progressing. The matches were shorter but there was nothing offensive with them quality-wise.

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
I've gotta say, I love the format the last couple weeks. Just sending out MJF to talk shit for 5 minutes is guaranteed to be a great segment.

IMO a weekly show should always be setting up the next thing, so I see this as a positive.
They left everything up in the air. Like I mentioned about Adam West’s Batman, you have to always leave the audience wanting to come back for next week to see the payoff of their emotional investment this week. Great professional wrestling ties ip enough loose ends while leaving a cliffhanger all on one show, so that the audience just keeps coming back.

The main event was a joke, so I turned it off. Then I find out that I fucking missed continuation of the Moxley/Suzuki story, so now I, and anyone else that turned off the main event this week, will know better than to switch the channel next week, because we may miss part of the story.

Adam West’s Batman. I preached this for a few weeks a month or so ago, and I’m glad to see that TK, Cutler, The Bucks, or whichever one of you is on here listened and enjoyed the idea enough to follow through.

Great episodic television at just the right time, too.

·
Registered
6,970 Posts
It was a great show but I think the Grand Slam one might be better.

Adam Cole is awesome to watch. It's a serious challenge for him to be a heel given that charisma he has and how much people adore him.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
It was one of the best for 3 main reasons:

#1. Outstanding promo segments (Cole, MJF, Jericho, Lambert, Callis are all great mic workers)

#2. Gave very little or no TV time to mid-low card acts like HFO, Dark Order, Nightmare Factory

#3. The stars (MJF, Bryan, Omega, Jericho, Darby, Mox) were all heavily featured and built for next weeks show

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
It was one of their better shows, but that's not saying much because it seems like every since they had crowds back pretty much every episode delivers and adds something new consistently. There's always a few things that are built up and leave you wanting more and intrigued to see what happens next. You watch WWE and it's the same shit just about every week with no real cliff hanger or anything to have you wanting more.

Just goes to show which is the more superior product.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I was thinking the same myself toward the end of the show (before the main event began and I turned off the tv like others did). This felt like the best all around episode other than the main event. I don't know why they booked that main event other than to make a joke about NXT 2.0. It was a waste.

The rest of the show had a good energy. The opener was hot. Jade was hot. You had FTR and Tully appear and later return to create some continuity in the show. You had Punk on commentary. They set up a new program for Punk with Team Taz. They booked some killer matches for next week. They had a lengthy segment with Bryan and Omega. They had Rosario Dawson get physical with Black. We got hints of Christian turning villain when he interrupted Jungle Boy. They got everyone on tv that needed to be on tv, even if just for a video package (Hardy, OC, Miro, Andrade, etc).

·
Registered
184 Posts
The fact that you made this post with all the jobbers that got major tv time means things are going pretty fucking well right now.

it was a good show. Having punk and Danielson take up 45mins-hour of tv time is a good move.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts