Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although he worked on both the 1998 and 1999 Summerslams I personally feel that the 1999 one was where Vince Russo's booking style was most noticeable.

Does anyone else agree with this, or did SS1998 have just as much of Russo's style as SS1999?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The swerves like Mark Henry turning on D-Lo, the Pepper stuff with Bossman and Al Snow, even the build up with the WWF Title seemed very much along the lines of Vince Russo to me.

·
Registered
597 Posts
That's not a bad thing, what did we get right after Russo left, Triple H wearing zombie makeup pretending he got bit by a snake, i'm still trying to wrap my head around that segment.

Inviato dal mio ASUS_X00PD utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
All the major PPV's in 1999 definitely felt more Russo-influenced and sadly, not for the better. I remember the shows feeling very convoluted and thrown together. The Rumble match was only focused on Austin and Vince and there was a similar problem with the Mania undercard. 1999 may be one of the only years where I preferred the B-show PPV's to the A-show ones (though 1997 actually had some very solid In Your House shows). 1999 WWF reminds me of 1998 WCW in that it was so hot, it was getting amazing ratings for mostly shit booking.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Regarding the most Russo-esque Summer Slam, the 1997 one might get the nod here but his booking was still new enough to where his trademarks didn't quite come off as noticeable. The fact that every Hart Foundation member's match on the card had a stipulation was an early sign of a Russo booking favorite but the fact that it was confined to the matches involving that group, at least, gave it some storyline consistency.

·
Registered
28,047 Posts
1999 as a whole felt like the most "Vince Russo" anything I've seen with the miscarriage angles, Mae Young giving birth to a hand, the build to WrestleMania, the show itself, the scattered booking, etc.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
1999 as a whole felt like the most "Vince Russo" anything I've seen with the miscarriage angles, Mae Young giving birth to a hand, the build to WrestleMania, the show itself, the scattered booking, etc.
I believe the Mae hand deal was 2000. One of those ideas that seemed shitty enough to be Russo but was actually somebody else.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts