Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's all a matter of opinion and most people say Savage, perhaps rightfully so, but imo I think Andre was,
a) Bigger name
b) Bigger draw (sept for post Mania 4)
and was booked ahead of Savage and just as strong as Hogan up till his heel turn, and after that he was booked incredibly strong, Savage was the guy along with Hogan from 1988-1989, but past that it was the Warrior, so simply in your opinion was Savage the really number 2 guy 1984-1991 (roughly).

·
Premium Member
6,456 Posts
In my opinion, Savage was the number 2 in the Hogan era, but I would consider him the number 1 of that era. Savage was far superior to Hogan in terms of Wrestling & on the Mic.

To me, Savage was the wrestler of the 80's/early 90's, not Hogan. My opinion. :)

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Interesting topic.I think he was number 2 guy between Feb 1988 and August 1989,after that the Warrior rose to fame.Andre was more special attraction than anything else after Wrestlemania 2,mainly because he was a part time performer who usually worked tag matches and put over Hogan and Warrior.

·
Registered
22,784 Posts
Given the fact the Hogan Era lasted quite a few years, I think there were a few guys who would have been the #2 guy during that time. Piper was definitely the #2 guy at one point (WM 1), as was Andre (WM 3), and so was Savage (WM 4+5).

·
Purebred Powerhouse
5,754 Posts
Andre certainly spent some time as the number two guy behind Hogan during the early expansion. When Andre was getting his head shaved and being tormented by Heenan, that was the case.

Following Andre's heel turn, Savage definately stepped up. From WM3 onward, Savage took the second place ribbon. Of course, you have Warrior's big rise around the time Savage was playing dress-up with crowns and capes, but even then - Savage felt like a top guy.

It's all just a matter of opinion anyhow. I'm pretty much on the same plane of thought as Mr. MJ on the subject.

Savage was so entertaining. To this day, people would recognize him by a sound byte alone. The same can't be said for flash guys like Warrior. That's just that.

And I still think it's almost criminal how Savage was under-utilized in the booking of the early nineties. With Hogan mostly out of the picture, and the New Generation being emphasized, Savage stuck around. He could've spent a lot of time in major angles, memorable moments, and meaningful events.

Instead, here was this dominant figure of the 80's, killing time behind a desk and a headset. As a big Macho fan, it sucked. I know he wasn't going to be a big part of things with the New Generation of Bret and Shawn taking over, but Savage never had any issues with putting over younger talent - so he could've easily been used to pass the torch to those guys. I just hate how, aside from a program with Crush, he was practically ignored for the last few years.

Seeing his work with Lawler in Memphis around that time (and even later with the New World Order) just goes to show he still had "it" by the truckload. They missed out.

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
Given the fact the Hogan Era lasted quite a few years, I think there were a few guys who would have been the #2 guy during that time. Piper was definitely the #2 guy at one point (WM 1), as was Andre (WM 3), and so was Savage (WM 4+5).
This.

P.S. @ Mr MJ: Your avatar is so fucking creepy!

·
Bowing down to the BEAST INCARNATE
4,567 Posts
I think that, if push had come to shove and if Hogan had suffered a dehabilitating injury and had to forfeit the WWF Title, Savage was the guy to from late 85 'till '90.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I must be in Quahog, cos all I see is a bunch of hicks!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Savage came i think 85 to WWF and it took him till 1989 to win the Title, but from then on till i think 92 he was always at least Number 2 and in 92 i would argue Number 1. Between 85 to 88, i would say there were many Number 2 Guys, or at least a Few, Piper 85, 86, Andre 87 and partly 88 with Dibiase.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
The thing with Andre is that he wasn't that active in the 'Hogan era'. Andre was winding down his career making a few appearances per year but not enough to sustain the title of the #2 guy.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The thing with Andre is that he wasn't that active in the 'Hogan era'. Andre was winding down his career making a few appearances per year but not enough to sustain the title of the #2 guy.
You could argue Taker has been the number 2 guy the last few years, having a few months off is common for him for the last 2 years or so, at least Andre for the majority of the time was there, but I guess it's which ever way you look at it.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
That is true, but in 87 and 88 he headlinet most PPV's

WM 3: Hogan vs Andre
Series 87: Team Andre vs Team Hogan
87 Headlining Both PPV's

SummerSlam 88: Megapowers vs Mega Bucks
And feuding with Hogan colliding at WM4 in the Tournament ending in a DQ and ending the Feud i think at Slam 88

And Andre was a attraction, but like i said you could argue Dibiase was with him Number 2 50/50

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
The number 2 guy doesn't change based on who faces Hogan. Just like the number 2 guy doesn't change based on who faces Austin or Cena.:rolleyes:

Savage was the number 2 guy. Andre was like Taker, an attraction. Piper was just like Barrett, a top heel with a major push. All this is fact.

/end thread.

Andre was a bigger draw than Savage, just like Taker is a bigger draw than Orton. Now tell me, who is the number 2 guy?

·
Resident Old Man
3,677 Posts
To me, Savage was definitely the #2 guy during the Hogan era. The majority of Hogan's career was made off monsters getting a push as indestructible so they could get a title match against him. It included guys like Andre, Bundy, Studd, Zeus, Earthquake, Taker. Hogan did have some feuds I'd consider legit. Warrior and Savage were the main ones.

In terms of talent, and always being in the title hunt or holding the IC title, Savage was there consistently. That's why I'd say for the entire time period, he would be the #2 guy.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Id say Warrior or Andre was number 2

·
Registered
29 Posts
Savage was awesome. Thought he was great Wrestlemania IV year, it helped having the gorgeous Miss Elizabeth with him. He was definately number 2 to Hogan, but in his own right number 1. Only guy with female manager which worked well, great finisher back in that era....He was brilliant. I would really like to see him back in the WWE, even if it was a cameo. I'll keep my fingers crossed but wont hold my breath.

·
Registered
802 Posts
depends on which era your talking about. if ur talking about wwf then yer probs andre or macho man. but if your talking wcw then it was stingif not sting was better should of made the jump to wwe when he had the chance

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
The number 2 guy doesn't change based on who faces Hogan. Just like the number 2 guy doesn't change based on who faces Austin or Cena.:rolleyes:

Savage was the number 2 guy. Andre was like Taker, an attraction. Piper was just like Barrett, a top heel with a major push. All this is fact.

/end thread.

Andre was a bigger draw than Savage, just like Taker is a bigger draw than Orton. Now tell me, who is the number 2 guy?
You're right, it doesn't change based on who they verse but rather on the time period, Hogan may have had more than one number 2 just like Cena had Batista at first and now Orton.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts