Wrestling Forum banner

Was Nitro better than Raw in 1997

• Yes

Votes: 56 60.9%
  • No

Votes: 36 39.1%

Was Nitro really better than Raw in 1997?

10967 Views 66 Replies 52 Participants Last post by  Damage Case
While I think Nitro had the better storyline of the two companies with Sting vs. NWO, I cant help but think WWE Raw was just as good, great storylines that were just as compelling. Imagine a roster now with Shawn, Bret, Austin, Taker, Mankind, and Owen. I think midcard in WCW was better but the main events in WWE were leagues ahead of Nitro.
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

· Banned
2,118 Posts
While I think Nitro had the better storyline of the two companies with Sting vs. NWO, I cant help but think WWE Raw was just as good, great storylines that were just as compelling. Imagine a roster now with Shawn, Bret, Austin, Taker, Mankind, and Owen. I think midcard in WCW was better but the main events in WWE were leagues ahead of Nitro.
TBH I thought WCW always sucked & wasn't sad in the slightest it went off the air.

· Registered
279 Posts
No. Sting hanging out in the rafters for a year wasn't better. The NWO was great, but Raw was a better show all around. WCW's highs may have been better, but it was uneven and mostly boring and filled with bad ideas. It had really classic matches, a ton of mediocrity and some inspired soap opera thrown in once in a while.

· El Ingobernable
950 Posts
I liked WCW more from late 96 - early 97. Even though Nitro was the newer show, RAW hadn't really taken off yet, in my opinion and wasn't even two hours at the beginning of 1997. But once it went to two hours, and became RAW is WAR it gradually became better than WCW and never looked back.

· Super Moderator Going Backwards With WF
36,342 Posts
Both shows had its strengths and weaknesses, and I think Raw from that year underrated.

Esp with the rise of Austin, Hart Foundation, DX, but imo Nitro was still very strong and I couldn't really choose which one was better tbh.

Both great viewing.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

· El Ingobernable
950 Posts
Both shows had its strengths and weaknesses, and I think Raw from that year underrated.

Esp with the rise of Austin, Hart Foundation, DX, but imo Nitro was still very strong and I couldn't really choose which one was better tbh.

Both great viewing.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
It was definitely a great time to be a wrestling fan.

Reactions: N2mjusschillin

· Registered
18,863 Posts
I've rewatched some of Raw in 97 and while I've never seen Nitro,I think first half of 97 wasn't entirely great for WWF. They had several great characters,but everything else sucked. The original nation wasn't good at all. Savio,Crush and stuff were boring. Ahmed Johnson was boring. Sid wasn't that good. But the great stuff like Austin,Bret,HBK,Taker,Goldust,Mankind,HHH were good.

· Registered
19,744 Posts
Shawn Michaels > anything on both shows

Reactions: N2mjusschillin

· Registered
9,028 Posts
WWE: Horrible mid-card, awesome main events
WCW: Awesome mid-card, horrible main events
Pretty much, but WCW had much more drama and intrigue with Hogan/Sting than RAW esepecially before SummerSlam's build where I believe things started to pick up in the main events for WWE.

I've rewatched some of Raw in 97 and while I've never seen Nitro,I think first half of 97 wasn't entirely great for WWF. They had several great characters,but everything else sucked. The original nation wasn't good at all. Savio,Crush and stuff were boring. Ahmed Johnson was boring. Sid wasn't that good. But the great stuff like Austin,Bret,HBK,Taker,Goldust,Mankind,HHH were good.
Agree.

Both were highly entertaining. Neither was perfect, but both had a ton of positives. Both shows are MILES ahead of the crap of recent times.

And having two shows to watch at the same time? Nothing will ever come close to that ever again.
Great answer

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.