Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of months ago on ioffer.com i purchased whole year complete seasons of Raw from in between 1996 and 2001, SmackDown in between 1999 and 2001 and WCW Nitro in between 1996 and 1999 and the plan originally was for me to watch Raw first from the start through to the end but i got sidetracked and ended up watching my favorite feuds instead. Watching through i was reminded of just how great Mick Foley really was and how he was always used as the first feud for a new champion or to put someone over HUGE so that they were then believable as a top star.

Having been a big fan of WCW from 1989 through to mid 1999 when everything started to go wrong i came across Mick Foley when he was was around in the early 90's and due to his feud with Sting who was the first wrestler i ever marked out for Mick Foley had my attention early on but due to his gimmick and style i couldn't see him being a main event wrestler in WWE and he wasn't the kind of wrestler i could see in the mid card but i was very wrong i admit.

Obviously being a HUGE Shawn Michaels mark i started off with 1996 and Mick Foley joined WWE the night after WrestleMania 12 and almost straight away started a feud with The Undertaker which for me was THE feud that saw The Undertaker go from a top star in the company to a major player in the entire industry. For years prior The Undertaker had always wrestled slow paced matches and all of his feuds were the same and predictable but Mick Foley changed everything and The Undertaker's career only went forward from then on and was a completely different character and wrestler.

After winning the WWF title at WrestleMania 12 Shawn Michaels hadn't really done too much with as champion due to a lack of talent to work with but Mick Foley kickstarted Shawn Michaels title run in my opinion with that truly classic match at In Your House: Mind Games and after that Mick Foley continued to take The Undertaker to new levels. Looking back over 1997 Mick Foley was the first one to feud with The Undertaker after he had won the WWF title at WrestleMania 13 after which he had a quick face run in which he out over Triple H but was used more for comedy angles that year with the introduction of Dude Love and working alongside Stone Cold Steve Austin and then later went back to being Cactus Jack alongside Terry Funk and they were used to make The New Age Outlaws look great.

At WrestleMania 14 Stone Cold Steve Austin had won the WWF title and with Shawn Michaels now gone due to his back injury Vince McMahon needed someone believable in going up against Stone Cold Steve Austin which Mick Foley stepped in and did very well as he had done a year earlier with The Undertaker and then after that he resumed his feud with The Undertaker and had that infamous Hell in a Cell match. Towards the end of the year when Mick Foley was showing signs of a face turn WWE then put him in a feud with the next up and coming superstar in The Rock in which Mick Foley won his first two WWF title's but ultimately the feud was designed to build The Rock up.

In 1999 WWE pulled the trigger on Triple H as a sadistic main event heel but they needed someone who could work with him and make him look great whilst also being big enough to make Triple H a believable top heel and that man as with previous wrestler's who were being moved up to the top was Mick Foley. Because Stone Cold Steve Austin would not drop the WWF title to Triple H it was Mick Foley who was given a one day title run so he could put Triple H over but more was to come. Going into 2000 Triple H was the top heel but was not seen yet as really believable in the role but the feud with Mick Foley was the major turning point in Triple H's career as Mick Foley as Cactus Jack put him over twice in a No Holds Barred match followed by Hell in a Cell and from that minute on Triple H was seen as a monster heel.

I know for some four years in WWE wouldn't put Mick Foley ahead of someone like Ric Flair as someone who made the people he feuded with and had matches with look great and built them up to a whole new level but Mick Foley also spent his WCW career doing the same as he took Sting to another level and also made Vader look even more of a monster heel than ever before. Mick Foley was always the man that Vince McMahon would go to when a new champion needed to look great and taken to another level like he did with Stone Cold Steve Austin, Shawn Michaels and The Undertaker or to make them a believable top star like he did with The Rock and Triple H and all of those five are now five of the biggest and best wrestler's to have ever loved, post your thoughts and opinions.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Foley was great at putting people over. Made--at different times and to different degrees--Steve Austin, The Rock, Triple H, Randy Orton, Edge, and The Undertaker all look better.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
I have to agree.Honourable mention to Jericho ,he doesn't mind who he has to put over and always come out looking good himself.

·
ALL HAIL THE MAHARAJA
2,269 Posts
I agree, Mick has to be one of the greatest enhancement talents, looking back Mick was only an enhancement talent but one of the greats in the Attitude Era.

Plus Rep

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
I do believe that Mick Foley is the greatest enhancement talent of all time, he played the biggest role in HHH's heel turn, had an amazing feud with Taker, put over Orton, etc.
The list goes on.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Foley was great at putting people over. Made--at different times and to different degrees--Steve Austin, The Rock, Triple H, Randy Orton, Edge, and The Undertaker all look better.
I had completely forgotten about what Mick Foley did for Edge and even more so Randy Orton on top of Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock, Triple H, The Undertaker, Shawn Michaels and The New Age Outlaws. It was THAT feud with Mick Foley that put Randy Orton where he was in 2004 and is the sole reason he had the trigger pulled on him so soon in the main event scene and that World title run.

Looking back over the whole career of Randy Orton i would say that outside of his matches with John Cena in 2009 the No Holds Barred match with Mick Foley is the greatest of Randy Orton's career and is the one that really put him on the map in the same way Mick Foley had done with Triple H a few years before that. The feud with Edge as well is the one that saw Edge move from upper mid carder who had a brief WWE title run to a believable main eventer and one who was believable in beating the likes of John Cena, Shawn Michaels and Triple H on the biggest stages and i think that feud between Mick Foley and Edge is very underrated for what it meant to Edge's career.

ric flair, still trying to put people over (jay lethal) at his old age.
I know that Ric Flair is still trying to put people over but unfortunately he doesn't have the talent in the ring to do it anymore like he used to do and is much better at putting people over by being a manager/mentor like he is with AJ Styles, Frankie Kazarain, Beer Money and how he was doing with Matt Morgan before that was stupidly ended. There is no doubting that back in the day Ric Flair could make a star out of anyone he worked with and is the man i credit for the success of Sting, Dusty Rhodes, Ricky Steamboat and Harley Race as well as being the main man in the greatest stable of all time in The Four Horsemen but when i compare what Ric Flair did for Sting, Rhodes, Race and Steamboat against what Mick Foley did for Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock, Triple H, The Undertaker, Randy Orton and Edge i have Mick Foley just ahead because of how big the people he put over became almost as soon as they had worked with him but that is just my personal opinion.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
not as good as hhh, look what he did for nash and steiner.
What DID HHH do, precisely? HHH/Steiner from Royal Rumble '03 is one of the worst PPV world championship matches of all time, and HHH/Nash is one of the worst Hell in a Cell matches of all time. How precisely does that make HHH a better talent enhancer than Foley?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Easily!! Foley taking the big bump practically each time (Flaming Table, Pedigree on the tacks, Falling off the cell and being handcuffed and hit repeatedly with the chair) also solidify the person he puts over creating THAT moment!!

That said, Orton taking the tacks at Backlash put him over if anything ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8opP5JFTGk

·
Registered
67 Posts
Wow, great writing OP

Seldom do I feel compelled to log in and post, but agree 100%

I'm the biggest HBK fan there is, but in his day, Foley wasn't far behind, a fantastic heel and a comical, loveable face, mam I miss Mankind

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Foley is up there. Jericho's good too. One guy who never gets credit is Scott hall. As razor he did a lot of good for HBK, X-pac, HHH, Jarrett, to name a few. In WCW The booking was shit, and a lot of the guys he put over failed anyway, but I remember Booker T as a guy who he helped get over as a singles guy, and he brought Zbysko back from the dead. The guy might have won 10 times in his life, and still maintained enough heat to make a win over him valuable.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I couldn't agree more about Foley. He knows how to tell a story, both in the ring and out. I'd love to see TNA give the booking job to him for a while, because I know he'd be great at it.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Foley is up there. Jericho's good too. One guy who never gets credit is Scott hall. As razor he did a lot of good for HBK, X-pac, HHH, Jarrett, to name a few. In WCW The booking was shit, and a lot of the guys he put over failed anyway, but I remember Booker T as a guy who he helped get over as a singles guy, and he brought Zbysko back from the dead. The guy might have won 10 times in his life, and still maintained enough heat to make a win over him valuable.
I will half agree because there is no doubting that Chris Jericho was great for putting people over outside of John Cena he never really took someone to a whole new level as a lot of the people he worked with were either already main event wrestler's or are still mid carders. The one person that Chris Jericho put over HUGE though was John Cena in mid 2005 just after John Cena was drafted to Raw and that was the feud that saw John Cena become the main man in the company and still to this day their singles match at SummerSlam 2005 was one of John Cena's best matches.

Scott Hall as well was another one who was great at putting people over but he much like Chris Jericho never really took anyone to another level in their career apart from Scott Hall did with Shawn Michaels but whereas Chris Jericho took John Cena to another level Scott Hall and Shawn Michaels took each other rather than one man building up the other. In WCW it was a bit different because of the booking was a bit all over the place because of backatage polictics and Scott Hall never had to put anyone over if he didn't want to as he was Hulk Hogan's friend but of all the people back then in WCW i would say that Scott Hall was the best for putting people over and never minded either which was a complete rarity amongst certain people in The New World Order.

I couldn't agree more about Foley. He knows how to tell a story, both in the ring and out. I'd love to see TNA give the booking job to him for a while, because I know he'd be great at it.
I would love to see Mick Foley move backstage and work in the creative/booking department because he can not be any worse than what we are seeing now with Eric Bischoff, Hulk Hogan and Vince Russo who are running TNA into the ground because of their crazy booking. I have said on numerous occasions that Dixie Carter should get rid of Hulk Hogan, Eric Bischoff and Vince Russo and replace them with Paul Heyman, Gabe Sapolsky, Tommy Dreamer and Mick Foley because Mick Foley and Tommy Dreamer are finished as on screen performers and doing their legacy no good at all but are both said to have great minds for the business and with a complete overhaul of the booking/creative department needed in TNA then Mick Foley would be an ideal candidate to be part of the new team.

With WWE having a product aimed at a young generation TNA has a chance to grab the older audience and in people like Tommy Dreamer, Raven and Mick Foley they have people who have the creative minds to please the older audience but they would need someone to filter those ideas as they can't have a great idea every time and Paul Heyman has worked with all three as has Gabe Sapolsky and as a team they could do some great things. I do not proclaim Paul Heyman to be the saviour of wrestling but his long term plan for TNA was sound financially and what was needed in the company so i would love to see him in TNA as head of creative and booking with Gabe Sapolsky, Tommy Dreamer and Mick Foley all under him learning more about the role before Paul Heyman handed over the reins as i couldn't see Paul Heyman wanting the role for a sustained period of time.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts