• No

Votes: 69 60.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So we all know Matt publicised Lita/Edge to the world, and while it would have gone public anyways, Matt made it a whole nother level. Lita got major heat for the rest of her career, even on her last match/goodbye (she lost her last match I believe) she was getting major heat. Did Matt enhance or ruin Lita's career?

Also, I'm sure sure if this is a work, being hosted by Todd Grishim, but Lita mentions her issues with Matt's Internet cult here:

The fans even started a "She's a Crackwhore" chant (5:25 in first video) in her final match. There's heat, then there's the Matt Hardy cultists....

·
Registered
12,415 Posts
She definitely seemed uncomfortable her last few years being called a slut, whore, and other similar jeers. So yeah, it definitely hurt.

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Eh, she ended up having a better career than him regardless, same goes for Edge.

Her work with Edge was some of the best in her career. She went from one of the most loved babyfaces on the roster to one of the most hated heels and she played that character perfectly. I don't think Edge's big push would have been the same without her, and her heel push wouldn't have been the same without him. The circumstances were horrible, but it turned out beautifully, unfortunately for Matt.

Even with everything that happened, she was still the top heel in the women's division until she retired and of course, her feud with Trish in 2006 had that "shoe on the other foot" feel that made their relationship even better. She did a lot after turning heel, mostly with Edge and that stuff was important to both their careers and to the show. She won the championship a couple of times too, so I don't think it was that bad on her career.

What it DID destroy was her personal life, which is ultimately worse. She got harassed on the streets, harassed in the ring, harassed by her employers. She got it bad, and I don't think that was deserved. The affair was wrong, but I find it hard to believe Matt was a total angel. What's worse is that Edge pretty much got away with it. He was able to go out on top, loved and adored by all, while Lita was forced to retire and was treated disgustingly on her way out too.

So I guess you could say that the Matt thing enhanced her character and gave it a whole new dimension, but at the same time, it shortened it and ruined her image too. Like I said, her career ended up being better than his anyway, but I think that's more on Matt than anyone else. She did great for herself and will go down in history as one of the best, it's a shame her career had to be tainted by that though.

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Eh, she ended up having a better career than him regardless, same goes for Edge.

Her work with Edge was some of the best in her career. She went from one of the most loved babyfaces on the roster to one of the most hated heels and she played that character perfectly. I don't think Edge's big push would have been the same without her, and her heel push wouldn't have been the same without him. The circumstances were horrible, but it turned out beautifully, unfortunately for Matt.

Even with everything that happened, she was still the top heel in the women's division until she retired and of course, her feud with Trish in 2006 had that "shoe on the other foot" feel that made their relationship even better. She did a lot after turning heel, mostly with Edge and that stuff was important to both their careers and to the show. She won the championship a couple of times too, so I don't think it was that bad on her career.

What it DID destroy was her personal life, which is ultimately worse. She got harassed on the streets, harassed in the ring, harassed by her employers. She got it bad, and I don't think that was deserved. The affair was wrong, but I find it hard to believe Matt was a total angel. What's worse is that Edge pretty much got away with it. He was able to go out on top, loved and adored by all, while Lita was forced to retire and was treated disgustingly on her way out too.

So I guess you could say that the Matt thing enhanced her character and gave it a whole new dimension, but at the same time, it shortened it and ruined her image too. Like I said, her career ended up being better than his anyway, but I think that's more on Matt than anyone else. She did great for herself and will go down in history as one of the best, it's a shame her career had to be tainted by that though.
True, Lita/Edge duo was fantastic, though the weeks leading up to and her final match were disgusting on the part of WWE fans. Did WWE at least try turning her face before she retired? Edge was able to do it.

Really, the biggest problem was that Matt carried that emotional baggage even after he was rehired in 2005 to feud with Edge, and couldn't cut a promo to save his life. He can't even talk in his Youtube videos.

·
Ted the Moth
12,865 Posts
What TankOfRate said. Career wise it was great for her, she got women's championships as well as being a super hated heel. I don't think that makes up for the shitstorm her life became, though. Everyone treated her like shit.
True, Lita/Edge duo was fantastic, though the weeks leading up to and her final match were disgusting on the part of WWE fans. Did WWE at least try turning her face before she retired? Edge was able to do it.

Really, the biggest problem was that Matt carried that emotional baggage even after he was rehired in 2005 to feud with Edge, and couldn't cut a promo to save his life. He can't even talk in his Youtube videos.
A face turn would have been futile. The crowd thought they were oh-so-smart for finding out what Lita did, they wouldn't have started cheering her for anything in the world. Edge turned face many, many years later. After it was all forgotten.

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Yeah, a face turn wouldn't have worked. You're forgetting that she's female. It ended up okay for Edge, but most fans would never have let her live it down. She still gets berated now, and she left five years ago. As sad as I was that she left, I think the WWE deserved to have their two top women walk out on them within months of each other. The direction was changing anyway, so it was probably best for Trish and Lita to just walk away from it before it became what it has become today.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Her career was fine, it wasn't ruined or destroyed by anyone.

She began in ECW, then was lackey to a light heavyweight, then was over HUGE as part of Team Extreme with the Hardys, floundered a bit, then got with Edge on Screen who was a main event star and she was involved in PPV matches and the main parts of Smackdown before retiring on her terms when she wanted to.

A typical woman in modern wrestling either wrestles and peaks for 2 years then disappears, or just stays on the roster in meaningless 10-woman tag or battle royals, doing nothing.

Lita's career wasn't destroyed, it was amplified. She is on par with Trish, and above Micky James, Kelly Kelly, Eve and the rest of them.

The worst thing I've ever known from her was when her band played the O2 Academy in Liverpool, and my friends band supported. There were roughly 200 people there at the beginning, left down to way under 100 when the support bands had finished. Her popularity in wrestling hasn't been the same in music.

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Lita ruined her own career but Matt contributed to that if you ask me

Her personal life should not have been dragged into her career. They shouldn't have had the affair, but Matt shouldn't have whined on the Internet, neither should the WWE have treated her like utter crap for so long and dragged it onto TV. Stone Cold had a fabulous career despite his personal life, and so have so many wrestlers who have done much worse than cheat on their boyfriend/friend.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I think her and Matt Hardy ruined each others careers to be honest.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Without Lita Edge probably woudn't have reached the same level as he did. Lita/Edge is what literally made Edge to my eyes. But at the same time post Lita/Edge....Lita was done.

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
It definitely destroyed any chance of being a face again. It took a serious toll on her personal life which ultimately led to her retirement. However, when she was seen on the 15th anniversary of RAW and her guest spot with Pee-Wee Herman she did receive pretty good pops.

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
Yes, Hardy fanned the flames because he's childish and insecure like that.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
she destroyed her the respect the fans had for her by cheating of Matt hardy with edge (who was married by the way)
she left because she was called a whore

·
Anti-Hero
9,798 Posts

Having read this, reading your signature and paying attention to previous posts from Tankofrate, it seems to me that you really care about women's wrestling.

Have you seen this match?

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
She was cheating on him with his friend. His reaction was not childish.
I'm not talking about the initial reaction. Comes a point when ya know, you get over it. Judging from Matt's recent idiocy, I don't blame her at all.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
No. Matt didn't destroy her career, if anything it ended up almost destroying his. What hurt Lita was something completely different.

Back in the day there was a sci-fi series starring Jessica Alba called Dark Angel. Lita guest starred on that and hurt herself bad. She recovered very well but her fear of getting hurt really showed in the ring after that. She was never the same after she came back.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts