Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I heard WWE was trying to get out of the PG era once they do I think WWE as a whole can be good. Instead of "Vince retire because even though WWE has hired a whole creative team and have Paul Hayman running raw we clearly need to just blame him" but I don't think UFC ever was or is in direct competition to WWE. Mostly because UFC is MMA real fighting and WWE is entertainment. AEW is even focused more on the wrestling than the characters because the storylines aren't good as WWE's best. I think UFC is if you want MMA and WWE is if you want entertainment.

·
Ex Con With A Heart Of Gold
10,219 Posts
Vince McMahon had a chance to buy UFC. Shane and Heymam begged him to do it. Vince blew it off and let RAW, a show that was still being watched by over 4 million people, closer to 5 million people, in 2005, to be LEAD IN PROGRAMMING FOR THE FIRST SEASON OF ULTIMATE FIGHTER.

It was totally foolish. UFC ate WWE's lunch. UFC became a 4+ billion dollar in-genre competitor to professional wrestling. Its one of the biggest dropped-ball moments for WWE ever. It led to people going, "Oh, WWE is fake stuff, this UFC stuff is real." Shortly thereafter, huge push for G-rated John Cena and a PG-rated show being hosted by Muppets and shit. WWE immediately became seen as a show for children and fools and MMA was for cool people. This ate into their younger male audience BIG TIME. You had so many people, and plenty of people here, saying, "UFC is doing pro wrestling and sports entertainment better than WWE is. UFC is blowing WWE away." Now its like the only men still watching WWE are baby boomers, average male age for RAW, Smackdown and NXT is around 50 and WWE is one of the oldest sports-related audiences in the country.

The success of UFC also led to MMA people being pushed over WWE big time, because they had "credibility" and pro wrestlers "don't." It was a big credibility hit to pro wrestling, they weren't seen as tough badasses, they were like the phony, wimpy UFC to so many people's eyes.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Everything out there is competition to WWE. Any other program that people might be willing to open their pocket books for is competition.

But the UFC and WWE are two very different types of programming, despite their similarities. The products just have a whole different atmosphere and there's plenty of people who are fans of one but not the other. I've been watching wrestling since the mid-90's and it took me to 2015/2016 before I gave MMA a chance.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I imagine that UFC and MMA in general is why it's a lot harder to find good heavyweights these days. Potential upside is higher, the dates are far fewer, any promo skills you have still get you ahead, and it's much easier to present yourself as a legit tough guy because it's a real fight.

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
i do think ufc has lost a bit of luster recently it is not at its height now as it was when rousey and mcgregor were holding the titles and drawing 1 million ppv buys

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
they share a portion of the fanbase but the two are so different they ain't a threat to each other unless shows are on the same date

21 - 27 of 27 Posts