Wrestling Forum banner

Was I born in the best year to be a wreslting fan?

• No, you're too young to know pro-wrestling greatness

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Yes, you lucky bastard

Votes: 20 66.7%
  • You don't understand the greatness of today, old fart.

Votes: 7 23.3%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was thinking the other day how lucky I was to be born on a cold january morning in 1984. from a wrestling fan perspective.

I obviously don't remember Hulkamania being born, but I do remember all the fuss over Hogan/Andre and by Royal Rumbe 1990. I was already a massive WWF fan at 6 years old (mostly thanks to my older brother). Hogan, Warrior, LOD were my heros and I even liked The Undertaker and Macho King even tho' they were the bad guys.

By mid 90's the interest started to fade, I would check from time to time to see what Bret, Shawn and Taker were doing and maybe get a few PPV's on tape but I didn't care that much.

Then came '97 and it hit me all over again. Not only was WWF starting to become interesting and baddass to my teenage and now smart mark self, there was this other promotion on the other channel and they had all the guys I grew up watching as a kid. Only this time they weren't wearing colorful spandex and facepaint, they were cool and rebelious and they didn't give a shit. Wow, what side do I choose? Of course I watched both but grew tired of WCW by 1999. and droped it alltogether.

So I caught golden Hogan years as a little kid, Attitude Era as a teenager and Ruthless Agression and post years as a young adult. Looking back how WCW and WWF progressed over the years (till about 2003.) looks like the generation born in early to mid 80's had it best, as if the product changed and matured with them.

edit: poll added

·
Banned
3,871 Posts
Re: Was I born in the best year to be a wreslting fan?

I was born in 95 and started watching fulltime around 2000 so Mia have to say yes.

·
Banned
4,704 Posts
Re: Was I born in the best year to be a wreslting fan?

Funny because I thought about that a couple of days ago
Yep!
I was just like you born in the first half of the 80s, a cold december evening in 1982 to be exact, started to watch at the age of 8.
When I was 8 WWE was the right show for me, it had action but also many colourful characters, it had police officers, native americans, mounties, warrior, repo man, a voodoo priest.

When the WWE was at it worst in 1995 (WWE and WCW) my interests also started to fade because I got older and I was at that age where wrestling in that form became embarrassing to watch.
Luckily when the wrestling boom started and became edgier I was at the perfect age. During the timespan of the wrestling boom 96-01 my age was 14-19, it couldn't get any better.

To be honest I don't know if I would became a fan in the early nineties with that cartoonish style if I was older than 10 just like I don't know if I would stay a fan if I was younger or older in the late nineties because I would be either too young to watch that edgy stuff or I would be too old so I would already outgrow it

·
Likes wrestling....
11,030 Posts
You were born in the single greatest year. So unless you were a modern marvel and understood the product at birth no, IMO.

I would say that someone born in the 60's who has seen how awesome wrestling's territorial era was, then got to see the Rock N Wrestling era, then was in their mid life when the AE hit. Now they would have seen it all....unless they were born long enough to see the Golden Era of the 50's...but then they would be really old now. No offense Batko10 ;)

Someone who watched wrestling during a thirty year span from 75-2005 now that is a lucky fellow.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I was born in '83 and was introduced to WWF by '87. It is kinda great looking back remembering all the milestones I managed to witness throughout my life as a fan. I stuck through the ups and downs and it was great to see everything hit it's peak in the late 90's after so many people had written pro wrestling off by then.

Only thing is I never stopped watching all the way until 2001. The Invasion left such a bad taste in my mouth I completely tuned out for 11 years until Summerslam 2012. So I missed the Ruthless Agression era and have no real attachment to anybody who came through during that time.

Now I've stopped watching WWE again sometime before HIAC 2013. I'm just not very impressed with what the product is today. I find most of it uneventful, repetitive and boring but I gave it a fair shot for over a year before determining that.

I don't know when I'll go back to watching WWE regularly again but I don't doubt that I will at some point. Maybe when guys like The Shield finally step up as main event players and usher in the next era. Then again WM 30 might be an exception if they do indeed get Ho Kogan to participate just for nostalgia's sake and to bring everything full circle for me as a fan.

·
Banned
6,893 Posts
It wasn't bad, though I'd have said 1963 was perfect...

That said, I was born in 85, I lived through (and appreciated) the best of WCW and ECW, I've seen the best of the WWF and worst of the WWE. Yes, I missed out on living through the best of the NWA, AWA and WCCW, but that's why God invented videotape.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Like a couple of the guys already posted I was born in the early 80's... Dec 81 to be exact. I was too young to appreciate 83 and 84 and really caught on when I was 5/6 years old. Vaguely remember the end of AWA and NWA. And I mostly remember Jesse the Body more as an analyst than a wrestler. Fucking Undertaker scared the shit out of me as a kid. I started losing interest around 93/94 and came back around 96/97 when Hogan turned heel. That "Outsider" story line was fantastically done. Too bad WCW added far too many people to them and split it up just for NWO Black to reunite. Really enjoyed WWE again in 98 and stopped watching WCW around that time as well.

The problem today is that the WWE goes through writers far too often. I don't mind having a former soap opera writer but I think guys like Paul Heyman and other former writers should have more influence on the basics of the story line. Then allow the wrestlers formulate their own characters and even promos, and then let the writers themselves fill in the blanks. But who am I.

·
From parts unknown
23,273 Posts
I don't think it really matters when you were born, because it's quite apparent that the WWE has had a certain appeal for youngsters throughout the last three decades at least (I don't know anything about earlier than 87).

I was born 81 and was introduced to it in 87. My story follows yours very closely. Started out as a Warrior fan, stopped watching mid-nineties. Late 90's pulled me back in - but then I stopped watching when the gore and sex got far too much for me to handle.

Stopped watching completely in 2002 and kept up with it on and off (but extremely limited) till 2013 when I finally was exposed to the PG product that was quite similar to the one I grew up watching.

I honestly think the ones that were kids/teens during the AE probably have the hardest time adjusting to the current version of the WWE.

My brother is about as casual as he can possibly get, but he's also a major Warrior mark. He hated the AE and for him the last greatest feud was Shawn and Brett. I spoke to him yesterday about wrestling and it seems that he hasn't cared for it at all since then.

I think it really depends on what a person likes when it comes to determining what was the greatest era. If you ignore ratings, it's almost impossible to determine what the greatest era / year was since it's all so subjective and dependent upon individual likes and dislikes.

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
I was born in 91 and started watching around 97
the monday night wars being my childhood = GOAT

I'm sure they would have been much more interesting as a smark although still having the ability to suspend disbelief in them was a plus too, although I remember being confused by alot of the shooting and was oblivious to the fact that WCW and WWF were trying not to be bought out. I was just watching wrestling.

short answer, yes. I do think it would have been really cool to have been an older, smarter fan around that time looking back too.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I was thinking the other day how lucky I was to be born on a cold january morning in 1984. from a wrestling fan perspective.

I obviously don't remember Hulkamania being born, but I do remember all the fuss over Hogan/Andre and by Royal Rumbe 1990. I was already a massive WWF fan at 6 years old (mostly thanks to my older brother). Hogan, Warrior, LOD were my heros and I even liked The Undertaker and Macho King even tho' they were the bad guys.

By mid 90's the interest started to fade, I would check from time to time to see what Bret, Shawn and Taker were doing and maybe get a few PPV's on tape but I didn't care that much.

Then came '97 and it hit me all over again. Not only was WWF starting to become interesting and baddass to my teenage and now smart mark self, there was this other promotion on the other channel and they had all the guys I grew up watching as a kid. Only this time they weren't wearing colorful spandex and facepaint, they were cool and rebelious and they didn't give a shit. Wow, what side do I choose? Of course I watched both but grew tired of WCW by 1999. and droped it alltogether.

So I caught golden Hogan years as a little kid, Attitude Era as a teenager and Ruthless Agression and post years as a young adult. Looking back how WCW and WWF progressed over the years (till about 2003.) looks like the generation born in early to mid 80's had it best, as if the product changed and matured with them.

edit: poll added
1984 here too, bro. And I agree. I'm catching up on the old stuff now before WM30 next year. Getting nostalgic.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Born in '95 and forced to watch everything from 1991 to AE before i was allowed to start watching the RA era live so id say your pretty lucky not having to watch everything after it already happened

1 - 20 of 23 Posts