Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Goatin' ain't easy
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Him saying 'what side is he on' must have given it away to a lot of 'smart' viewers at the time.

What do you think?

·
Banned
4,994 Posts
Watching it live, no I didn't spoil the heel turn for me.

·
Banned
914 Posts
People have already said that very few actually knew of Hogan's turn and the commentators were not among those. Heenan was just purely second guessing.

·
Best In The World
4,752 Posts
see when i look back at the incident i thought it was easy to tell hogan was about to turn

·
The Sundance Kid
18,538 Posts
How can you ask if it was ruined when it's 16 years later and we know the results? NWO angle was huge and made a monster of WCW. Yes they fucked it up eventually but that was down the road. Wasn't ruined at all, duh.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
No, it wasn't ruined at all. Hogan had been a pure-beyond-pure babyface for 12 years...no one saw it coming.

·
Registered
21,621 Posts
Nah it didn't spoil it, Bobby Heenan ragged on Hulk Hogan for all of his career so it seemed to fit. In hindsight it was a poor choice of words for Heenan and maybe he should have just stayed shtum so that he didn't take away from it on the re-watch but at the time, I'm sure nobody really picked up on it until after the event.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Heenan didnt ruin it. It was his character as commentator to hate Hogan.
Hogan was A SUPERFACE. Hogan waslike JESUS and the ultimate good guy. There had never been anything like "I like heels, or anti-heros" or the attitude era before this. This just chocked everyone, and the wrestling world just changed forever after this.

So people not understand Heenan at all. He always hated Hogan so him asking "who's side is he on" is right in line with Heenen. Might seem like "giving it away" now, but then it wasn't. People who were watching knew Heenan hated Hogan. Best heel turn ever.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
No, since Heenan was the one who said it and he had always been anti-Hogan on commentary. But even then, the idea of Hogan turning was totally improbable at the time, so I don't think it could've been ruined anyway.

·
Banned
1,678 Posts
Video? I didn't watch back in those times.

·
Registered
270 Posts
It definitely didn't ruin it considering it was one of the biggest and most successful things that happened in wrestling of the entire decade, but watching it back, yeah Heenan's commentary annoys me. But then again, Heenan annoyed me frequently on commentary. Never understood all the love for the guy's shit talking frankly. He was an excellent manager though.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
It's easy to think that if you've only watched the clip in hindsight, and know Bobby Heenan only as the commentator in the Hogan heel turn video.

But it would have been odd if Heenan didn't question Hulk's integrity. He'd been doing it for pretty much ever.

·
Registered
12,673 Posts
I think it sort of did. Hogan was so babyface that even Heenan shouldn't have questioned it. In doing so he planted the seed in the minds of folks. Now the live audience wouldn't have heard the commentary the the arena reax was "pure"...

·
Employee Of The Month At Dale's Dead Bug
4,725 Posts
No, Heenan was always anti-Hogan on commentary. It wasn't like some face commentator was asking that question. And, besides, Hogan had been a full fledged face for 12 years. No one saw that coming and it would kinda explain the trash being thrown in the ring.

·
Congratulations, you played yourself
9,528 Posts
Looking back, it probably seems that way but not live. It was the best heel turn of all time.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Let's also not forget that WCW never told its commentators anything, so their reactions would be 'genuine'. Heenan had no idea the turn was coming, and so just did the same thing he'd done his whole career and trash Hogan.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts