Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some might disagree with this but it's my personal opinion that HHH should be just as respected as guys like Austin, Rock and Taker.

Often I noticed on this site he is left off of lists when it comes to top talents in the 90's and early 2000's. I get that guys like Rock, Austin and Taker are bigger draws than him but I feel that every great babyface needs a great heel at some point and HHH was amazing in the way he played the top heel against those guys.

Yeah, we all know he married the bosses daughter and whatnot, but I feel a guy with HHH's talent could have found himself in a top position like that sooner or later. He had an absolutely amazing physique, great on the mic and was menacing at times and really made you hate him. Just like The Rock and Austin, HHH was himself with the volume turned up. He really is a self serving jackass which helped his heel character. He really felt like he was the final boss and made the belt that he carried feel important because he was willing to do anything for it.

He's one of the top three heels of all time in my opinion and I'm sure many are gonna disagree with that which is why I made this thread. I think a lot of people have personal heat with HHH because he plays politics backstage but this is based soley on his work as a wrestler. The man was talented and a once in a lifetime talent.

·
HOES MAD
22,982 Posts
They're tiers to his era. Simply put, he wasn't the best in his era and it took Rock/Austin/HBK leaving for HHH to finally get that spot and when he did, it produced some of the most boring and dragging parts of the WWE in that period before Cena took that mantle. Cornette got it right. HHH was never the guy or draw people wanted to see but simply the person who would work with the actual draw/FOTC (Austin, Rock, Foley).

Nobody denies he's a great worker and one of the best heels of the past decade but he's rated pretty accurately, IMO. Rock, Austin, and Foley are in the top tier of that era. Him, Taker, Kane would be second tier. That's just the way it is.

·
My mom thinks I'm cool.
2,102 Posts
I don't know if I'd put him in my top 3 heels of all time but surely my top 10 (maybe my top 5) and he was the one I grew up with. He could be excellent when he wanted to be (eg. the Batista feud) but sometimes it seemed like he didn't want to be. I think his ubiquity ended up hurting him too.

Reactions: TheDraw

·
Registered
16,460 Posts
I don;t know, when the Attitude Era is brought up people often mention Triple H. Usually in the same vein as Mick Foley or Undertaker maybe not right up there with Rock or Austin but Triple H is one of those guys for sure. He may not have been the main draw but he was always the best foil for those top guys at the time. He's certifiably in my top 10 heels of all time too.

·
alexa = greatest of all time!
3,169 Posts
heck no. B+ player if there ever was one.

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
He's one of the top three heels of all time in my opinion and I'm sure many are gonna disagree with that which is why I made this thread. I think a lot of people have personal heat with HHH because he plays politics backstage but this is based soley on his work as a wrestler. The man was talented and a once in a lifetime talent.
All time worldwide? Not even close

He wasn't top heel during that period in WWE ie 98-01 as that was Vince by a mile

2,253 Posts
I think the problem is WWE is constantly rewriting history when it comes to HHH. Things like WCW would have won the wars if HHH was there. The Kliq was good for business,DX is better than the NWO. Evolution is ATG stable when in reality it was a decent 4 horseman rip-off.
Any evidence that was implied that WcW would have won had HHH was in their brand? Would love to see that.

Also even though Evolution is a rip-off 4 horseman, you can't deny that stable produced the 2 of the biggest stars post AE hence Evolution deserved to be worthy as top 10 stables of all time IMO.

·
Registered
458 Posts
As a performer Triple H was an average wrestler, fine as a heel and he was fine on the mic I guess. He never really did anything innovative or brought anything new or exciting to the table though, just the same boring matches and the same boring promos.

He always was the number 2 guy to work with the main draw whether that be Austin or The Rock in most cases. He was never cut out to be the guy or to be even considered in that top tier of wrestlers, I’d put him a good few tiers down from the top top guys but that’s just personal preference.

As a person (based on what I’ve read, heard and observed) he’s one of the most self serving, egotistical, selfish, arrogant, lucky, talentless, phoney, backstabbing, cowardly, jealous and insecure wrestlers ever in the WWE.

His first step into cunthood was his allegiance with HBK, Nash and Razor. Triple H probably knew he wasn’t good enough to make it to the top and didn’t have it to be a major star so he joined forces with the most powerful Kliq in the WWF at the time and worked his way through their ranks. He basically sold out and joined the popular bullies because he couldn’t hack it by himself and had no redeeming qualities to make it as an individual talent.

Around this time The Rock was making waves in the WWF and I’m not sure if this is correct or not as I have no sources or evidence but I’m sure I heard somewhere that both HBK and Triple H were conspiring to sabotage The Rock as they knew he’d be a massive star. I think this was partially why HBK and The Rock never faced each other in the past. I think they both feared that The Rock would overshadow them and become the bigger star which of course is what happened.

Secondly his marriage to Steph is THE reason why he is where he is today. Without her he’d probably still be a top guy of sorts because Vince loves big physiques and bodybuilders and all of that but he definitely wouldn’t be as big as he’s turned out to be. Steph was definitely a major factor in getting him to have this amazing career that he’s had, there’s no doubt about that! Call it love or what have you but both Steph and Triple H are scumbags so they’re a perfect match for each other!

On top of that he doesn’t put guys over when he should: CM Punk, Booker T, Mick Foley, Sting, Batista, Lesnar and so on. The guy is so insecure and selfish it’s unreal! He always has to put himself in every major angle going too and has to leech of every big star or popular character: Ronda Rousey, Sting, Nakamura, The Bullet Club etc...

The guy just wants attention, adulation and he desperately wants to be remembered as one of the greats and be in the same annuals as The Rock, Austin and Hogan and seemingly he’ll do just about anything to make that happen. He’s so desperate and probably hates the fact that people like Rock and Austin more than him.

Average wrestler, fine heel and mic worker but total scumbag!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I still find it funny in video games they aren't allowed to show on the promotional material Triple H in a compromised position, he is the only person who would give a shit about jobbing in a video game.
LMAO I thought that was a myth

1 - 20 of 77 Posts