Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Goldust became The Artist Formerly Known as Goldust, and then he burned the Goldust Suit on RAW, then became Dustin Runnels in the WWF. Then around the Summer of 1998, he was bringing in a sign that HE was coming back. This led to the return of Goldust to feud with Val Venis.

Was this always the plan from the start, or was it the other Dustin personas were not getting over as they had hoped? Has Russo ever commented on this?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2j7yif_wwf-superstars-october-4th-1998_sport

·
Currently booking tonight’s card...
HBK ⚜️ SAINTS ⚜️ CSRO
2,736 Posts
I always took "The Artist Formerly Known" gimmick as Dustin's way to try and reinvent himself.

His Goldust character was hot as anything when he debuted in 1995... but I later heard that WWE stopped pushing him because of how controversial the character was. By mid 1997, I looked at him as a permanent mid carder with a gimmick that had run it's course.

In 1998, I believe he was just trying to go with more of an "edgy/rebel" appearance to try and reinvent himself with the fans. It was not getting over at all. He all the sudden went from being a mid carder down to a character you would expect to see on shotgun Saturday night instead of the marquee shows.

It was just a rough time for his character in my opinion, and he was just trying to find something fresh that would work.

After some time went by, I guess a version of the original Goldust seemed to be what made the most sense for Dustin. I don't think anyone else could do a character like that better than him.

Just the way I always look at that time frame for Dustin.

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
Yeah, the Preacher gimmick wasn't working and didn't fit in the Attitude Era.

If you watch the match between Val Venis and Dustin Runnels at Breakdown, the crowd were cheering and rooting for Val.

They went back to supporting Dustin when he returned as Goldust at Judgment Day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts