Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tony Khan said it himself that signing CM Punk was his first choice.

That kind of makes Jericho number 2.

In hindsight do you think that Jericho is a much better acquisition?

I'm not hating on Punk but I think Jericho has added so much more to the AEW product than Punk could.

·
Registered
22,869 Posts
If we're talking about current reality, yes.

Because Jericho wants to wrestle a mostly full time schedule and be a big presence for them on TV to help grow the company from the ring.

Punk, even if he does wrestle for WWE again, did not want to do those things.

Now if we lived in a fantasy world that honestly even I lived in for a bit thinking Punk would come into AEW, then obviously Punk is a bigger deal and acquisition just because of the intrigue behind him wrestling again after 5 years.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Yes because he is an active in ring performer. Punk sounds like he will only be making one off appearances if he wrestles in WWE.

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
I can't imagine Punk performing better than Jericho has...but he probably would've popped even higher initial Dynamite ratings.

That being said, Jericho apart from his spectacular character work seems to be taking an active role in growing the AEW brand and developing AEW talent. So, I think overall the answer is yes

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Yes, Jericho is an active wrestler, he's also a bigger name as he was around during the boom period while Punk wasn't.

Even if Punk does wrestle again, there's no guarantee he will be the same. He is 6 years older with 6 years of ring rust.

·
Registered
588 Posts
They would be important in different aspects. Dont think Punk can sniff Jericho as a performer. He,s even said it himself before, he doesnt have that 2011-2013 guy in him anymore but he would get eyeballs on the product and it would be the biggest possible fu to the wwe having 3 out of there 10 maybe biggest stars in the past decade jump ship to aew.

·
Registered
11,358 Posts
Yes, Jericho is an active wrestler, he's also a bigger name as he was around during the boom period while Punk wasn't.
Not to derail thread but that wouldn't make one bigger name. Punk at his peak (2011-13) was bigger individual star and difference maker than Jericho ever was. Jericho worked boom but so did Big Show and I doubt many would think he would be good signing for AEW.

Both Punk and Jericho excel as heels and pretty weak as babyfaces. I think had punk joined they would have booked him as a babyface which would not benefitted them really past initial buzz.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
Punk hasn't been wrestling for years so I don't think he would have added much to the product anyway.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Tony Khan said it himself that signing CM Punk was his first choice.

That kind of makes Jericho number 2.

In hindsight do you think that Jericho is a much better acquisition?

I'm not hating on Punk but I think Jericho has added so much more to the AEW product than Punk could.

Hell yes! Jericho cares about AEW brand reivenented himself. CM Punk only cares about himself. I think only reason Khan went to Punk first is because or age. Punk like 8 years younger. Jericho might wanna retire in 3 years. While they could have gotten 5 years or more out of Punk. But things worked out great getting Jericho. Especially considering Moxley fell into AEW hands and Jericho had big role recruiting him.

·
Ilya Smirnov ate my puppy.
4,919 Posts
Back before Jericho was signed, I might have thought Punk should be their fist choice, too. But seeing how things have actually gone, now I think it’s a good thing Punk turned it down. Punk might be the bigger name and might have brought more eyes to the product initially, but I think he’s more one-dimensional and could not do what Jericho has done. Starting with the post-match rant the night he won the title, his spoof of Cody’s big thing, all the subtleties of everything he does have been creative and for the betterment of the company. I see Punk being more concerned with getting himself over than anything else and not contributing to the whole picture as Jericho has.

And as I’m saying this, it occurs to me that it might be exactly why Punk turned it down in the first place — from the very start Kahn probably wanted a well-known star to come in, take the championship, and use the position to help build up new talent, and Punk probably wanted to be more of the center of attention. Purely speculation here just based on what I’ve seen now of Jericho and what little (I think) I know about Punk. Simply put, Jericho has a great mind for the business, Punk has a great mind for Punk. Whether that’s remotely accurate or not, I think AEW is in a better place with Jericho.

·
Premium Member
2,551 Posts
I like Punk, but Jericho is on a different level. Jericho has been relevant for over 20 years now reinventing himself several times. He could easily have a part time deal now but genuinely seems to care about the business and his legacy so I respect that. I wish he could use his influence to get rid of a few of the things dragging AEW down.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Back before Jericho was signed, I might have thought Punk should be their fist choice, too. But seeing how things have actually gone, now I think it’s a good thing Punk turned it down. Punk might be the bigger name and might have brought more eyes to the product initially, but I think he’s more one-dimensional and could not do what Jericho has done. Starting with the post-match rant the night he won the title, his spoof of Cody’s big thing, all the subtleties of everything he does have been creative and for the betterment of the company. I see Punk being more concerned with getting himself over than anything else and not contributing to the whole picture as Jericho has.

And as I’m saying this, it occurs to me that it might be exactly why Punk turned it down in the first place — from the very start Kahn probably wanted a well-known star to come in, take the championship, and use the position to help build up new talent, and Punk probably wanted to be more of the center of attention. Purely speculation here just based on what I’ve seen now of Jericho and what little (I think) I know about Punk. Simply put, Jericho has a great mind for the business, Punk has a great mind for Punk. Whether that’s remotely accurate or not, I think AEW is in a better place with Jericho.
That´s the big art for an upstart company allocating their resources sharply. To figure out which stars are still willing to put in the work, when they get that big contract and which would just go into business for themselves or/and mail it in.

In that sense they could not have done any better than Jericho and Ambrose.
Jericho was like a proud father watching MJF. That helped MJF on so many levels. The fact that Jericho started the promo segment and was in the ring ensured that they maximized their viewing audience for MJF and then his subtle and genuine approval is subconsciously noted by the fans, too.

·
Registered
16,012 Posts
Well Punk's buzz already is fucked by him basically being an older Corey Graves now on a station that had 49,000 viewers.

Overall Jericho is more of an asset than Punk would have been. Punk would have been cool to see first few months then meh, whereas Jericho keeps reinventing himself and putting people over. Unlike Punk.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm sure that Punk would've brought a lot of attention to AEW but I'd have opted for Jericho. Chris Jericho is definitely a guy you can build a promotion around. His veteran status, and his constantly excellent performances, put Jericho in a league of his own. Punk would've been a great signing but Chris Jericho is absolutely the right choice for face of the company because of how much he clearly loves professional wrestling. Like others have said, apart from his spectacular character work, Jericho seems to be taking an active role in helping to grow the AEW brand, and in developing AEW talent - I'm not sure that Punk would have been as active in the same way.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Ok I'm going to preface this by saying that I know nothing of Punk. I wasn't watching wrestling during his WWE entire career however forming my opinion based on what I've read in here and watching AEW try to chase him, I'm glad he past. He seems like a guy that is only out for himself where as Jericho has always tried to elevate everyone around him.

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
Jericho is on second tier Rushmore(ie 5-8 all time great), or at least deserves to be in the argument. Jericho is in the better headspace as well - he likely gave up money to join AEW and always talks about how having a second option company is good for the whole industry and helps everybody to get paid more. Punk is all about himself.

Even if Punk came in motivated to slay the WWE beast, it would have been a revenge mission. Not going to lie that Punk would deliver better dream matches as motivated Punk vs Omega is arguably the biggest match AEW could have offered. And Punk vs Jon Moxley is better than eventual Jericho vs Moxley.

But Punk was rumored to have been offered a big money deal and it wasn't enough. So he doesn't want here, or to wrestle at all. So really this is a no-brainer knowing what he know now.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Ok, so think about how things went down. Jericho was ready to wrestle out of the gate and has been putting on clinics. Punk is 6 years older then he was when he last wrestled and has 6 years of rust. Punk has an all about me complex and let's be honest, at the end of his WWE run, he was sloppy as fuck then. Anyone remember the MKE Wrestling event he showed up at under the mask recently? Anyone remember that abortion of a GTS? It took the great DBry nearly a year after coming back to shake all the rust off and that was only after 3 years and Bryan is younger. If Punk were in AEW right now wrestling he wouldn't be putting out MOTY candidates like Bryan just did with Cole. Punk would still be shaking off the rust for the foreseeable future. So to answer the OP's question: Jericho, easily.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Punk is a bigger star in the wrestling world and that's it. Chris Jericho is a bigger name overall, a better mentor, a better leader and a better building block.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Y2J is easily the better signing he's elevated the people around him with the inner circle and for being damn near 50 still able to go in the ring

1 - 20 of 50 Posts