Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't blast me by reading the title, but Pro Wrestling is a business and in the Monday Night Wars, the objective for both WCW & WWE was to get money and ratings, Goldberg, NWO, DDP (to a degree), Sting etc drew lots and made alot of money for WCW. When Y2J, Benoit etc have been in the main event they're proven as okay...ish draws, not big or super draws, like the main eventers in WCW at the time. Bischoff gets flamed so much from keeping those talents down even though it was a much smater move business wise. But if WCW had zero competiton like WWE does now, i'd be caving for those guys to get main event pushes btw....

·
Premium Member
19,339 Posts
I don't really know if there is a right or wrong answer for this. I think Jericho and Benoit and Guerrero had the talent to be main event. I just think it was so crowded at the top at that particular time that it would have been hard to get them there. But they were absolutely talented enough to be in the main event scene. Malenko... who knows. Not so much I guess *although he was talented enough in ring wise, but the guy had no personality from what I understand*.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
No, he wasn't. He should have developed the mid carders who already were over into Main Eventers. That could have competed against WWF. Instead he let the old acts on their way down do the top storylines, what wasn't exciting anymore hence didn't draw. Intelligent people should have seen that coming.

In fact, Bischoff saw it coming. He just was too cowardly to move on from Hogan (he himself later admitted, he "had" to keep the ball on the high-payed guys, just because the payment was too high for them not to earn it as Main Eventers ... deadly, unprofessional argument, not understanding "sunken costs"). Plus, he trusted rather in a monster gimmick without the power to carry / sell others, instead of more talented guys, who would have been capable of making big storylines. Something the Goldberg gimmick wasn't able to do.

Eddie wasn't that over back then. But Jericho could have become a Upper mid card guy. So could Rey Mysterio. Benoit, Raven and Booker T are 3 possible names, who could have become Main Eventers between 1997 and 1999 in retrospective. There were other potentials, but WCW didn't push ANY of their "home-growns". (Goldberg wasn't a "home-grown", because he was no growth and all hype without future)

That was the huge creative mistake, that made WCW "drop the ball".

·
Premium Member
44,439 Posts
Jericho was his biggest blunder. Jericho really came to life as a character while in the CW Division, and they DEFINITELY should have had a plan for him to go to the top.

Eddy & Benoit? Well thanks to hindsight being 20/20, I think we can safely say that any push for Benoit was a mistake. Also, in all fairness to Bischoff & WCW, Eddy was a bit of a problem at the time. Even WWE let him go for his bad habits in 2001. Eddy had to get himself cleaned up before he could get the push, and that didn't happen while he was in WCW.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
By the end of 1998 the nWo had completely run its course. Instead of pushing new guys like Jericho, Benoit, Rey, and Eddie, they instead had the nWo 'reunite' through the infamous poke of doom and the rest was downhill from there. To answer your question, yes op your right, but only till the end of 1998. If Bischoff was smart he would have realized that Hogan, The Outsiders, Sting, etc. had just ran there course by then and it was time to breed a new generation of talent. Of course since Bischoff has always been Hogans bitch, it wasn't gonna happen and unfortunately because of that the company went under.

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
It took WWE 3 years to put the title on Jericho and 2 years for him to become a main eventer.
It took WWE 4 years to put the title on Benoit and 4 years to become a regular main eventer.
It took WWE 4 years to put the title on Eddie and 4 years to become a regular main eventer.

Just think: Eddie was in WCW for 5 years. Benoit was in WCW for 5 years FULL TIME. Jericho was in WCW for 3 years. So technically, WWE push them the same way WCW push them in the same time frame. Eddie and Chris was upper mid carders in WCW after a year. You couldn't tell because it was CROWDED but they were right in the mix. Eddie was having ppv matches with Flair and DDP. Benoit was wrestling the NWO. So I don't understand the "holding back" part. They were never big draws.

WCW used Malenko and Saturn better. While the Radicalz made a big debut, they were bascially mid carders for the first few years.

WCW were pushing the right guys at the time, and the Radicalz was right in the mix. They were just unorganized.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Benoit won the WCW belt, Eddie was way to hard into drugs.

Jericho was a huge mistake on WCW's part, the guy was over and hilarious in WCW.

·
Registered
202 Posts
To be honest, the guy they should have fast tracked into the main event scene in the late 1990s was Scott Steiner. He was a bad scary heel back then and a feud with Hogan or Goldberg (while still unbeaten) would have been red hot. They waited too long to pull the trigger on Steiner. Back then, he was less banged up too and could really go in the ring. He should have been the one to end Goldberg's streak.

By the time they made him champ, it was too late - the company was dying and lost so many viewers that most fans did not realise how awesome he was.

·
Banned
315 Posts
Bischoff's mistake wasn't not pushing those three to the main event, as none of the three are legitimate main event stars capable of drawing ratings. His mistake was missing out on the next group of talent who actually would become draws: Rocky, Angle, Cena, Batista and Lesnar.

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
Bischoff's mistake wasn't not pushing those three to the main event, as none of the three are legitimate main event stars capable of drawing ratings. His mistake was missing out on the next group of talent who actually would become draws: Rocky, Angle, Cena, Batista and Lesnar.
Rock was WWE all the way since day 1. So, he was always off limits.

He had Goldberg and Rey, two strong draws who can sell merchandise but what happen; 1. Goldberg turns heel and they had him do stupid shit like getting arrested and it came off as Austin lite. 2. He unmasked Rey, dumb move. He basically threw away money, to top it off they put the title on Jarrett. A guy that got his ass beat by a female.

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
At no time did I think Jericho, Benoit, Eddie, etc deserved to be in the main event at WCW. People like to play revisionist history but at the time (1996-1998) Hogan, Savage, Luger, Goldberg, NWO, etc were all PERFECTLY fine at the top. WCW had such a deep roster and so many titles (and big contracts to satisfy) that pushing Mysterio, Jericho, Eddie, Benoit, etc to the moon at the time just wasn't a good idea. Come around 1999 that's when WCW should have started to phase out certain guys rather then letting them come back and wrestle, but that's the beauty of WCW 1999-2001 it was just old men being bat shit insane and doing weird things.

·
Oh My Goddess
3,580 Posts
Jericho was a mistake by WCW. You could just see the guy had pretty much everything. Ring ability, charisma, speaking talent. He should have been handled better and if possible retained by WCW. (Not that it would have mattered in the end.)

Eddie had good basic ingredients though I'm not sure he was ready yet during his WCW stint. As others have said, he needed to get his house in better order yet.

While no doubt a top ring performer, from what I recall, Beniot was horrific on the mic back then. He wasn't good even in the E, but at least improved somewhat as time went on. During his WCW days though, from what I saw,.......*shudders.*

·
Premium Member
44,439 Posts
Why do you say that?.
Because of how Benoit turned out. Wouldn't have looked as bad if he wasn't a huge star. Also, anybody who is willing to murder his family is not somebody who deserves success. Just my take.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Jericho was a mistake by WCW. You could just see the guy had pretty much everything. Ring ability, charisma, speaking talent. He should have been handled better and if possible retained by WCW. (Not that it would have mattered in the end.)

Eddie had good basic ingredients though I'm not sure he was ready yet during his WCW stint. As others have said, he needed to get his house in better order yet.

While no doubt a top ring performer, from what I recall, Beniot was horrific on the mic back then. He wasn't good even in the E, but at least improved somewhat as time went on. During his WCW days though, from what I saw,.......*shudders.*

Benoit was indeed abysmal on the mic in WCW. I never viewed him as a guy that they should push to main event as i couldnt envision him ever drawing. The only one of the 3 that i ever really saw something special in was Jericho. They couldve pushed him more, but even then its not like he shouldve been main eventing when he left the company. But he shouldve been on the cusp at that point..

By the time these guys were WWE champs, i had quit watching wrestling so i have no idea whether they, in particular Benoit and Eddie, were ever considered draws. But i definitely wouldve bet against it back then. So the only mistake from my standpoint was Jericho.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts

Eddie would of been a great WCW champion.

When you think of his promo ability in 2002-2004, then you combine that with his in-ring ability in 1997 he would of been over as hell.

Eddie vs. Goldberg would of been great
Eddie vs. DDP would of been great
Eddie vs. Sting would of been great

·
Registered
937 Posts
Yes, he was right. The guys that were in the main event at the time lasted longer. Then the guys that were so called held down. It comes down to the strengths of the wrestlers. Guys that can entertain and wrestle or have a super strong look, belong in the main event. Mat wrestlers are going to fill out the rest of the roster and upper midcard. The guys at the top of WCW could do it all. Even Hogan stepped up his game. If he did not the WCW fans would have ate him alive. To get over in WCW you had to wrestle. Same thing in TNA, untell TNA gets the right balance of entertainment and wrestling. They will stay where they are. Little baby WWE will not work.

·
Banned
3,750 Posts
Because of how Benoit turned out. Wouldn't have looked as bad if he wasn't a huge star. Also, anybody who is willing to murder his family is not somebody who deserves success. Just my take.
Well at the time you obviously wouldnt know it was going to happen.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.