Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I've never played the tabletop game.

However, I love Warhammer 40k literature - some of the best action sci-fi I've ever read. I'm also a fan of Dawn of War (the first one, not the second), and I even used to play Space Crusade as a boardgame and also a videogame on my old Amiga computer as a kid.

A really lush, vast and ever expanding universe. Can't wait to see the recently released Ultramarines movie.

·
Banned
9,124 Posts
YOU play that stuff?! I was seriously wondering who all these people were.

I had NEVER heard about this Warhammer business until I was doing a temporary job earlier this summer where I had to walk in to random stores and solicit framed artwork. And it was a store 100%-dedicated to that game.

I swear to god, I had never been so baffeled in my life. I could seriously not believe people really spent all that money, all that time into painting the hundreds of game pieces, and left all that SPACE in their house to play it. I even picked up one of the little warriors or whatever, and the store manager jumped my shit for it, saying I should "ALWAYS ask permission before touching their pieces". I asked the other guy who worked there how much money he spent on is collection and he told me "close to 2 grand". I mean... FUCK, really? He was even using a tape measure to calculate the precise distance between the buildings on his big ass dining room-size table down to the centimeter.

I don't mean to sound like I'm knocking the game or anyting, but FUCK. Can someone explain to me what the deal is with this game? I was actually wondering how a store about it even exists considering I have never met ONE person who plays it.

·
40,660 Posts
It's just a hobby like any other in that you devote time and money into it because you enjoy it. It just happens to be a really socially unacceptable hobby; it's kind of like playing a complex Army Men game. I actually made a living painting these figures for people. If you're a good painter you can actually make decent money (not six figures, but you can support yourself). I am a good painter. People will pay hundreds of dollars for a well painted figure. Rightfully so, it's a minor work of art. I'm being completely serious.

Warhammer 40k is a tactical skirmish game. Imagine playing out the fights in the movie Aliens or Avatar. That's pretty much what the game is. Movement for the models on the table is in inches, so that's why the guy was using a measuring tape. You're only supposed to use the tape for seeing how far a trooper can move. Maybe the rules have changed, I haven't played in a long time.

And the manager jumped your shit for handling a model without asking because some models have a LOT of time and money invested in them. That'd be just like someone just picking up something of high value to you without asking, getting their grubby mitts all over it. That has the potential to rub you the wrong way. Most people are pretty cool about it, but you get that one anal retentive guy now and then.

·
WF's AKB Fan
5,758 Posts
I was actually wondering how a store about it even exists considering I have never met ONE person who plays it.
Obviously then you have never hung much out with tabletop players, or LARP Roleplayers, it's pretty huge in those groups, at least where I am from.

I have never actually played a 40k tabletop game myself, only Warhammer Fantasy I found that much better in some way, so I don't know the rules for a 40k game, but i guess there are others here who can explain them better than I would be able to.

But when you have painted your figures and set them up it can turn out pretty nice if you have painted your models good and your terrain is also nicely done, don't know if they still have it, but when I was last there they had a pretty fucking epic setup in a Games Workshop in Berlin.

·
Super Moderator
19,327 Posts
I don't think anyone around here plays that stuff.. at least I don't know of any. I don't think rednecks are allowed to play it. It's in the rules... simply because a fight WILL break out. And they can't have fighting around expensive pieces.

I can see why the guy got upset oat you for picking up the peice, Cerbs, but he could have handled it better than he did. He could have politely told you to please not do that without asking first instead of jumping your shit.

Brek, I didn't know you were such a painter. New found respect, my friend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts