Wrestling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
14,424 Posts
Is he suggesting the UFC gimmicked a drug test to pull their pound for pound best fighter in history off the show to provide a "better" fight for the boring Daniel Cormier, and a "better" fight for the main event? Because..............wow.

The UFC probably won't lose many buys because of Jones getting the boot, but it's still a huge blow to them and their future. They were banking on Jones being a headliner for at least the next 5 years, and now his cred is in the dirt. On the contrary, WWE loses nothing by suspending Roman Reigns as he's the worst top guy in history and an anti-draw. So why in fuck would the UFC try and take after pro wrestling here?

Honestly, the UFC has many things in common with old school wrestling. You could have made an insightful thread about that. Instead of this.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Is he suggesting the UFC gimmicked a drug test to pull their pound for pound best fighter in history off the show to provide a "better" fight for the boring Daniel Cormier, and a "better" fight for the main event? Because..............wow.

The UFC probably won't lose many buys because of Jones getting the boot, but it's still a huge blow to them and their future. They were banking on Jones being a headliner for at least the next 5 years, and now his cred is in the dirt. On the contrary, WWE loses nothing by suspending Roman Reigns as he's the worst top guy in history and an anti-draw. So why in fuck would the UFC try and take after pro wrestling here?

Honestly, the UFC has many things in common with old school wrestling. You could have made an insightful thread about that. Instead of this.
He just made a dumb thread that he didn't think through very carefully and now he's pretending that it was just a troll job.

·
Registered
766 Posts
UFC 200 was always going to be big, don’t get me wrong. However when they introduced Brock was going to be fighting my interest went from maybe to must see. So you can understand my shock to see that Brock wasn’t the main event. Perplexed I researched and saw that title fights are always main events in the UFC regardless of the drawing power of certain fighters. One problem; the main event was far inferior to the Lesnar fight.

So what can a promoter do? Well he certainly can’t change the main event to accommodate a part-timer returning for a one-off, get it off my chest match. At the same time the amount of buys this event will generate would certainly help build up the credibility of your champion but how many of those buys get turned off after the Lesnar fight?

Recently WWE golden boy Roman Reigns was suspended for violating the company’s wellness policy resulting in a mandatory 30 day suspension. Off T.V. for 30 days, let him cool off a bit, then bring him back with a shot at redemption. Absolute nonsense, but this is Vince. So coincidently Jon Jones one of the headliners of UFC 200 was popped for a PED violation and pulled from the card.

As a WWE fan the UFC to me is fun but the grabbing and grunting and holding and twisting is a receipt for sheer boredom. So their champ Daniel Cormier really isn’t going to get me to buy a PPV. I understand he lost to Jones before and this is a grudge match that will likely go 25 minutes and be totally and completely anti-climactic as a fight could possibly be. So what now?

Now Cormier is on the main PPV card but below Lesnar fighting allegedly Anderson Silva in what will be a high profile squash match that will build Cormier’s name way up. As for Jones? His camp claims this failed test is a mistake/false positive and he will back much sooner that the enforced 2 year suspension. He could have gotten hurt and the UFC decided to try a different angle knowing he will be vindicated of his false test. Daniel Cormier gets the more exciting opponent; TBA. The question we need to ask: is UFC that far off from pro wrestling?
this is the dumbest thing i have ever read, you know nothing about the ufc! Jon Jones is a huge star.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
It's much closer than that

To my knowledge globe trotters don't play in a league and create tournaments where they beat other entertainment teams. Ufc and wrestling ppv formats are pretty identical, bunch of undercard matches leading to mainevent..even ufc have copied WrestleMania axxess

Globetrotters are warriors are not competing with each other for talent..i mean in the days leading up to mania 31 ufc were odds on to sign the mania maineventer and the wwe champion lesnar having signed the number two full time wwe guy of the past 3 years just months prior. Look at all the potential talent lost to pro wrestling last decade because they decided to go train mma instead

Globetrotters and warriors are not competing for same male 18-49 demo to buy their ppvs, attend their live events or watch the tv programming. If ufc puts a rousey or McGregor show on the same weekend as say payback or tlc that would surely have many fans of both brands choosing ufc..similar if ufc put a c level ppv on the weekend of rumble or mania most people will choose the WWE show
I think the belief that MMA has taken away a lot of pro wrestling talent is grossly overstated. There are quite a number of guys that didn't make it or just dabbled in MMA that are currently pro wrestlers. NJPW and ROH are littered with these guys.

WWE is not after the young adult/middle age male demo. They are after the same demographic the Globetrotters are...children. There's much more money to be made from parents in sports entertainment than 20 and 30 year-olds.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I think it is pre determined which I think is what OP was going after. Jones test is legit though the guy is a monumental fuck up.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.