Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a lot of people including myself on this forum who think pretty highly of Wade Barrett's abilitys and the potential he has. Despite being pretty green in terms of televised promos and whatnot he was very very natural. His mic skills were excellent considering his experience and he also has a good look with good size. He was a great leader for the Nexus and was probally the biggest face of the biggest storyline in the WWE in recent memory. He handled himself perfectly in the feud with the biggest face in the company John Cena and held his own. So after all this, Most people were expecting big things out of Wade Barrett and it was good they were taking it somewhat slowly and not giving him the WWE Championship to early. The only problem was that they decided not to give him the belt at ALL. He's been stuck as a midcarder and hasn't been involved in a high profile storyline or feud since. So what went wrong? When was the point in which WWE saw red flags about the guy and thought otherwise? And will he ever get that big push again but this time perhaps take it all the way?

·
Asuka
96,241 Posts
Nothing went "wrong", he was never intended to be a star. They simply used him for one storyline because they had no choice. They couldn't use anybody else to make the Nexus angle work, he's the only one of those guys with the qualities necessary to lead a faction. When that was over, Vince dropped him on his head because he never liked him. If WWE thought he had any potential, he'd still be getting pushed whether he won the title yet or not. They keep insisting on pushing Del Rio even though no fan in the entire world gives him a reaction, just because they think he's a good long term investment. Case in point. If they saw his value, he'd be in a position where he got consistent television time and build up.

As for will he ever get pushed again, don't bet on it. At the absolute most, he'll get 1 title reign at the end of his career like Mark Henry just because he stayed with the company, and he probably won't even get that considering he's English and WWE never pushes them.

·
Banned
9,205 Posts
He's going to be pushed again, the fact that they chose him to speak last night shows they know he's the best talker, or one of the best, and have faith in him and sooner or later he's gonna get his rightful push. Luckily for Barrett he's still very over with the crowd.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nothing went "wrong", he was never intended to be a star. They simply used him for one storyline because they had no choice. They couldn't use anybody else to make the Nexus angle work, he's the only one of those guys with the qualities necessary to lead a faction. When that was over, Vince dropped him on his head because he never liked him. If WWE thought he had any potential, he'd still be getting pushed whether he won the title yet or not. They keep insisting on pushing Del Rio even though no fan in the entire world gives him a reaction, just because they think he's a good long term investment. Case in point. If they saw his value, he'd be in a position where he got consistent television time and build up.
I find it very hard to believe that WWE didn't see big potential out of him initially considering how big of a push he got. Whether he fit the "Qualities necessary to lead a faction" or they saw him becoming a future WWE champion. I think they still had much bigger plans for him since he won the NXT competition and than actually having qualities to lead a faction takes a lot of skill when taking his lack of experience into consideration. It wouldn't make any sense for WWE to think he has those type of qualities but that's as far as they will go and not get into a further push. I would suspect that something deeper happened and it wasn't just them using him for one storyline and treating him like garbage the rest of the way.

·
Asuka
96,241 Posts
I find it very hard to believe that WWE didn't see big potential out of him initially considering how big of a push he got. Whether he fit the "Qualities necessary to lead a faction" or they saw him becoming a future WWE champion. I think they still had much bigger plans for him since he won the NXT competition and than actually having qualities to lead a faction takes a lot of skill when taking his lack of experience into consideration. It wouldn't make any sense for WWE to think he has those type of qualities but that's as far as they will go and not get into a further push. I would suspect that something deeper happened and it wasn't just them using him for one storyline and treating him like garbage the rest of the way.
Hey, I did too, but the fact of the matter is, if you want to create a star, you don't give him a huge push, drop him from that push at the height of his overness and replace him, have him create a shitty replica of that group that goes absolutely nowhere, remove virtually all of his mic time, rarely feature him on television, don't put him in an actual storyline and constantly job him out. Hell, that match with Cena, I think he 3 moves offense in the entire match....IF that. That type of thing just isn't done to people the WWE values.

He should've won the WWE title, but the fact is, even if he hadn't, if he were ever meant to be a star, he would at LEAST be getting pushed like Cody Rhodes or Dolph Ziggler. At the absolute least. At this point, he's actually lower on the card than Zack Ryder, a guy who most people figured would be fired by now.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
He'll get pushed again eventually when he's at his lowest point which is fast approaching, it's sad wwe will only push guys when they hit rock bottom instead of carrying on when a guy has momentum! Look at r-truth and mark henry they recieved big pushes when their career was going nowhere similar to many names in the past jbl e.t.c! I believe barrett will be back but only after suffering for another 1-2 years and then they say hey! lets do something with this guy! lazy poor booking for shame wwe!

·
Banned
1,266 Posts
There are a lot of people including myself on this forum who think pretty highly of Wade Barrett's abilitys and the potential he has. Despite being pretty green in terms of televised promos and whatnot he was very very natural. His mic skills were excellent considering his experience and he also has a good look with good size. He was a great leader for the Nexus and was probally the biggest face of the biggest storyline in the WWE in recent memory. He handled himself perfectly in the feud with the biggest face in the company John Cena and held his own. So after all this, Most people were expecting big things out of Wade Barrett and it was good they were taking it somewhat slowly and not giving him the WWE Championship to early. The only problem was that they decided not to give him the belt at ALL. He's been stuck as a midcarder and hasn't been involved in a high profile storyline or feud since. So what went wrong? When was the point in which WWE saw red flags about the guy and thought otherwise? And will he ever get that big push again but this time perhaps take it all the way?
There's no reason he should be given the belt in his first year or so in the company. Cena wasn't. Orton wasn't. HHH wasn't. HBK wasn't. Bret Hart wasn't. Edge wasn't. Those guys were in the WWE for 2-9 years before winning their first WWE or WHC. And Barrett certainly isn't better than all those guys I just named.

·
My man
6,506 Posts
There's no reason he should be given the belt in his first year or so in the company. Cena wasn't. Orton wasn't. HHH wasn't. HBK wasn't. Bret Hart wasn't. Edge wasn't. Those guys were in the WWE for 2-9 years before winning their first WWE or WHC. And Barrett certainly isn't better than all those guys I just named.
Unfortunately we don't live in that era any more. Sheamus and Del Rio just two of the current stars to be given the title straight off the bat.

·
The human torch was denied a bank loan.
7,576 Posts
Things like giving him the mic during a promo like that shows they believe in Barrett. Not everybody can be pushed at once, that's just how it is. Not to mention he needs to improve in the ring. He got a huge push in his first year, so they obviously see something in him. He'll get there, have patience.

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
John Cena happened, now I'm not blaming Cena but the bookers and writers, he was made to look like such a wimpy bitch that it's always going to take time to rebuild him, interesting last night that hewas chosen to talk to Hunter while standing beside the World Heavyweight Champion

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I think Wade Barrett will be pushed but not now. WWE know he has potential as seen during the Nexus angle, as well as on last night's RAW where they gave him the mic to air his grievances towards HHH. I do think he's a future WHC but I guess that will happen within twelve-eighteen months instead of now.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
John Cena happened, now I'm not blaming Cena but the bookers and writers, he was made to look like such a wimpy bitch that it's always going to take time to rebuild him, interesting last night that hewas chosen to talk to Hunter while standing beside the World Heavyweight Champion
This.

Putting Barrett in two PPV matches against Orton didn't help either, both matches were pretty bad and Orton had no chemistry with him.

I don't know if they should have given Barrett the title when he was in the Nexus or not, but they could have ended the angle in a much better way. Such a shame that the WWE has dropped the ball on that.

·
Registered
8,281 Posts
I hope they're doing to him what they did to Sheamus and depushing him only to build him up again in a slower more natural way.
I suppose it was necessary for Sheamus as he wasn't over but Barrett was alot so it's a strange one. I suppose atleast he's been Intercontinental Champion.

·
Banned
1,266 Posts
Unfortunately we don't live in that era any more. Sheamus and Del Rio just two of the current stars to be given the title straight off the bat.
3 wrongs don't make a right. I don't care if those guys won the title in their first month. It would be stupid for Barrett to win it in his first year.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Things like giving him the mic during a promo like that shows they believe in Barrett. Not everybody can be pushed at once, that's just how it is. Not to mention he needs to improve in the ring. He got a huge push in his first year, so they obviously see something in him. He'll get there, have patience.
Of course not, but first of all Barrett's on Smackdown so its not exactly as if there's a lot of main event talent there and they couldn't find a spot for him, and secondly, its not just that he isn't being pushed, its that last night was the first meaningful thing he's done in quite a while, he's missed out PPVs, got buried by Cena in 5 minutes, working dark matches etc.

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
I'm not sure if they should have given Barrett the title, I think it might have been better for Barrett to lead the Nexus until the master behind it was revealed, Barrett could then have played the supporting role and possibly been protected, after the leader of Nexus ultimately failed at WrestleMania Barrett could have ousted him and took Nexus to SmackDown! where he could have settled and then wonthe World Title

·
Banned
4,312 Posts
What went wrong? John Cena. It should of been Cena vs Barrett at Mania. Very easy booking but since they're obsessed with Cena looking good and no one else shining, it ended with Cena literally burying him last December. Then just in case you forgot that, they had Cena beat him in like two minutes flat a few weeks ago with Barrett getting NO OFFENSE at all. Horrible. That's the guy this forum wants to see continue his reign of terror at WM 28 over the biggest icon of this generation.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts