Wrestling Forum banner

Is Wade Barrett being over pushed

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Banned
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading the Kaval might be on Raw thread when a derailment got me wondering whether Wade Barrett is being shoved down our throats by getting a WWE title shot within 6 months of debuting on TV or if he's payed his dues so to speak by going through FCW and NXT.

In my opinion Wade Barrett is not being overpushed. This is because to me being overpushed means that you are coming the fuck out of nowhere to be a champion, or that your position on the card is higher than your crowd reaction and/or how well you draw would suggest you should be. Wade Barrett, regardless of whether you think 6 months is too soon is not coming the fuck out of nowhere to win. He has been solidly built up to the point where he has become a main eventer. That is sometihng that Sheamus and Jack Swagger didn't have when they were pushed to the main event. What did Jack Swagger do before and during his title reign to suggest that he could hang with Main Eventers? Nothing. Same with Sheamus. It wasn't until HHH put him over that his credability caught up with his push. Swagger still doesn't act like he can hand with Main Event guys. Maybe if he keeps up with his ankle lock gimmick, but I digress.

The only reason that I can see for him being overpushed is that he's a 'rookie' (well he's not but as far as WWE cares, he is) and thus hasn't payed his dues. Ignoring the fact that paying dues is a concept that is outdated, what was NXT and FCW if not a way of paying dues? In FCW he was in a stable managed by Byron Saxton and was jobbing to Johnny "Lucky Cannon" Prime. In NXT... well, I'm sure I don't need to remind everybody about the challenges.

Stake your claim on whether Wade's been over/under/just rightly pushed.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,588 Posts
How is he overpushed? He hasnt won a title yet, he needs a faction to get a win in matches and he isnt dominating RAW. If you ask me, he is being used just right.

He worked the indies in the US and england, trained in OVW and then FCW, worked his way through NXT, got involved in a big storyline, and is on his way to being a champ. He is being pushed perfectly.

·
Registered
678 Posts
gotta disagree with you, I think that hes being overpushed. I dont think the push he is getting corresponds to his talent. I think he lacks in in-ring skills and is a touch overrated on the mic, not to say he isnt good though. There is a danger he will be found out as time goes on. However, the super push he is getting is necesssary to make him a star and someone has to replace the old guard eventually, why not him. Im sure the WWE management has thought long and hard before choosing Wade. Plus hes from north England like me so its nice to see some English presence at the top of the company along with the bootylicious Layla :)

·
Banned
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gotta disagree with you, I think that hes being overpushed.
I see.

I dont think the push he is getting corresponds to his talent. I think he lacks in in-ring skills and is a touch overrated on the mic, not to say he isnt good though.

In the ring? I'll grant you, though we haven't exactly seen a huge ammount of wrestling from him since he came up. Personally, I think he's good enough in the ring. He hasn't fucked up majorly (yes, he did fuck up against Henry, which he seems to have learned from.

There is a danger he will be found out as time goes on.
How so? Surely any competant wrestler would work in a manner that doesn't expose his weaknesses. See: Undertaker and John Cena dragging good matches out of Khali (kicking and screaming though they were), and Wade Barrett leading Otunga to a passible match.

However, the super push he is getting is necesssary to make him a star and someone has to replace the old guard eventually, why not him?
Absolutely. Wade is young and good enough to step into the ME scene and be there for the forseeable future. He was going to get there anyway. Nexus was (and is) just a vehicle to get him there sooner.

Im sure the WWE management has thought long and hard before choosing Wade.
The decision was probably made around the same time as Daniel Bryan getting kicked off NXT. From week 1 of that show it was pretty clear that there were three types of rookies. Wade Barrett, Daniel Bryan, and the people who didn't stand a chance of winning.

Plus hes from north England like me so its nice to see some English presence at the top of the company along with the bootylicious Layla :)
Indeed. Layla is gorgeous, and an English WWE champion would be awesome.

·
DAVID OTUNGA's Personal Assistant
9,748 Posts
the whole "paying your dues" thing is one of the most annoying terms i see used so often. if the company thinks a wrestler is entertaining, and can perform with the best of the best, and he can handle himself, then they can really put him wherever they want him. after all, we are just watching a television show. it's a "business" to them, with seeming invisible ladders and such, but it's not to us. you don't see a new character on a television show and all of a sudden say "he shouldn't be getting so much screen time, he hasn't paid his dues."

as long as they build it right, they can push anyone anywhere.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Let's be honest people. Barrett was a hit the minute he stepped on NXT. Having Jericho as his Pro was the icing on the cake. Barrett has the skills in the ring, and he can talk good on the mic. What else do the people want from this guy?

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
He's English so I'm biased but it's about time that one of us was booked at a legit contender.

·
DAVID OTUNGA's Personal Assistant
9,748 Posts
he's certainly been booked better than my peoples' Sheamus. all Sheamus could do in the first couple months of Raw was kick people.

Wade Barrett is legit getting clean pins. he's being built so much better, hence not being overpushed.

·
Asuka
96,228 Posts
He's excellent. He knows how to cut promos, he's charismatic and he's got a dominant, commanding presence. His push is fully deserved, there's no need to waste time putting him in the midcard when he was immediately ready to be a major star.

·
Damn Fine Cup of Coffee
12,954 Posts
He's talented enough but he doesn't deserve to win the title at NOC. At least wait until next year before giving him the title.

I swear that winning a world title is a lot easier to do today(kayfabe wise) than it was a while back. Just because your talented doesn't mean you need to win a world title right away.

·
Banned
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He's talented enough but he doesn't deserve to win the title at NOC. At least wait until next year before giving him the title.
Why? He's being booked above the title now and is red hot. Why wait when he's ready now?

I swear that winning a world title is a lot easier to do today(kayfabe wise) than it was a while back. Just because your talented doesn't mean you need to win a world title right away.
Nostangia just ain't what it used to be is it? Title reigns happen faster and more frequently now. Times change and right now it's Wade's time to shine.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Not overpushed, don't think he needs the WWE Championship just yet though.....they need to add a fresh flavour to this Nexus angle. eg the GM needs to be revealed and associated with them or something of the likes.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
He's sooo overpushed, he makes Sheamus' push look like a burial. Hell, his push is on even ground with Cena's career push and almost Austin's push.

And he's undeserving, not b/c of his age, I don't care about that, but b/c of his lack of skills imo. He has below average ring skills, average mic skills, average presence, and average charisma. He's worse than Sheamus, and to me, that's saying alot.

·
Registered
934 Posts
he cashed in the NXT PPV title shot and gets his title shot, the Nexus itself was a stroke of genius by the WWE imo. I don't think Wade Barrett will win at NoC, but if he stays relevant after than I say he's earned it... along with very strong booking

·
Banned
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
He's sooo overpushed, he makes Sheamus' push look like a burial. Hell, his push is on even ground with Cena's career push and almost Austin's push.
um those guys spent quite a bit of time in the midcard. Barrett's rise was faster than theirs if you want to be technical.

And he's undeserving, not b/c of his age, I don't care about that, but b/c of his lack of skills imo. He has below average ring skills, average mic skills, average presence, and average charisma. He's worse than Sheamus, and to me, that's saying alot.
Who do you regard the averages to be in those areas? Because something tells me your standards are fucked up.

·
Offto Club?
1,275 Posts

fpalm His inring skills are fine, hes pritty dam good on the mic, hes entertaing to watch, hes massive so hes got great presence and I would agree that his charisma is average.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Wade Barrett overpushed? Is that even possible? The guy is a complete package, he deserves the big push that he's getting now, a push on a lesser scale would not be acceptable considering he's one of the best youth movement products that wwe have at the moment.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I think he's great has all the tools, we've have alot of heels in the past who come across as cocky and arrogant and thats all fine but its been done to death. however with barrets size and nexus behind him his heel character is different, when he speaks you truly believe what he's saying he's intimading he looks focused and fearless e.t.c
I think he's great compared to the chicken shit heel type character who runs away at all times and worms his way out of situations. Wade barret just has a presence an air of confidence about him.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts