Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading through old forums on the Internet from 1999 and apparently these were some of the ideas for Vince Russo's vision of WCW.

Nitro cut from 3 hours to 2 hours.
Thunder cut from 2 hours to 1 hour.
A fully fledged hardcore division featuring the ECW guys.
The Cruiserweights to get their own brand separate from WCW with their own show. Featuring singles and Tag team titles.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
He actually implemented that first one. Just before he took over Nitro was at 3 hours and he took it down to 2. Thunder would've been much better as a one hour show as well I think. I know that during Russo's run in WCW he was trying to sign Sabu which gives credit to the hardcore division thing as well.

·
Currently booking tonight’s card...
2,230 Posts
I gotta admit, if they could have trimmed the shows back an hour when Russo showed up, that could have helped.

I feel like 2 hour Nitro, and 1 hour Thunder could have helped a lot... I still think it would have been tough to get through.

by 2000, it felt like things were ‘shaken up’ every couple weeks... there was no identity to the shows...

ehhh

·
Registered
535 Posts
Whatever the plan was for Hogan and Flair after being written out at Halloween Havoc

Although I'd assume the endgame was a babyface "Stone Cold" Hulk Hogan lol feuding against the PTB NWO, but it was all very clunky anyway and Russo is too ADD to predict. He rushed the Sting and DDP face turns after they went all in on their heel personas.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Russo was huge on Chris Jericho going back to late 1998. In fact, Russo deserves a lot of credit for persuading McMahon to go after Jericho, once he learned that Jericho was unhappy in WCW, and had refused to sign a contract extension.

Fast forward to fall of 1999. Vince McMahon had chewed out Jericho, and actually said he regretted signing him at the time. Initially, he was supposed to work his way to the main event scene by the end of 1999 (the original posters for WM2000 had Jericho on the cover), but due to legitimate heat with several wrestlers, including HHH, he was punished by being placed in a feud with Chyna, This made the rounds of the IWC rumor mill, especially after Jericho injured Chyna's arm, and HHH wanted to attack him for it. Upon getting wind of the situation, Russo had actually called Jericho, and told him that if he decided to part way with the WWE, he had huge plans for him in WCW, including a title run.

This all changed when the Radicalz, who were all good friends with Jericho, jumped to the WWE. Jericho had stated in his book that his time in WWE was real stressful and not fun for the first 5 months, as he had tremendous heat with the office and fellow WWE wrestlers at the time.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Russo, who had genuine influence during that first run, should have demanded Bill Busch sign Jake Roberts and Raven to his new creative team alongside Ed Ferrara and Terry Taylor. Then sit back and filter/sign off whatever they booked. He learnt nothing from working for Vince McMahon for 7 years LOL.

Had he got smart he'd likely have a gig in Hollywood right now.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Russo wanted D'Lo Brown as his number 1 target. He also wanted Edge, Christian and Test in WCW.
D'Lo Brown is ok but he's not going to be somebody you can build your company around. Knowing Russo he'd probably have Jarrett vs D'LO in the main event for the heavyweight title at Starrcade.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Russo, who had genuine influence during that first run, should have demanded Bill Busch sign Jake Roberts and Raven to his new creative team alongside Ed Ferrara and Terry Taylor. Then sit back and filter/sign off whatever they booked. He learnt nothing from working for Vince McMahon for 7 years LOL.

Had he got smart he'd likely have a gig in Hollywood right now.
Jake Roberts was in no condition to write for the WCW in the late 90s. He had a terrible drug problem that came close to killing him. Other than that, it would not ahve worked out, no matter who WCW brought in to help Russo. The company was so dysfunctional that Time-Warner would have had to completely restructure their whole wrestling division, and hire executives who not only knew the wrestling business, but knew how to market and sell the WCW brand. That never happened when they were at their peak in 98.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Jake Roberts was in no condition to write for the WCW in the late 90s. He had a terrible drug problem that came close to killing him. Other than that, it would not ahve worked out, no matter who WCW brought in to help Russo. The company was so dysfunctional that Time-Warner would have had to completely restructure their whole wrestling division, and hire executives who not only knew the wrestling business, but knew how to market and sell the WCW brand. That never happened when they were at their peak in 98.
Maybe not Jake then if he was that bad and while I agree WCW was screwed, it was still salvageable (as a television product) in September 1999. Could have lasted a bit longer imo. They lost money in 1999 but nothing compared to 2000. Russo just got over confident and became a laughing stock when he could have used wrestling to move onto bigger things.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The problem with WCW was that it was a total borefest even at its peak. It was like watching the same episode over and over every week where NWO adds a new member and beats up another guy 6 on 1.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Maybe not Jake then if he was that bad and while I agree WCW was screwed, it was still salvageable (as a television product) in September 1999. Could have lasted a bit longer imo. They lost money in 1999 but nothing compared to 2000. Russo just got over confident and became a laughing stock when he could have used wrestling to move onto bigger things.
I'm still convinced WCW was in the right direction in 2001, when it was sold to Vince McMahon. The product took a nosedive in 1999, and was somewhat unwatchable, especially after the reboot in April, when Russo and Bischoff returned. I've heard the plan was to shut down the promotion for a couple of months, after it was acquired by Fuscient Media, and relaunched sometime in May at an event known as the "Big Bang." However, the deal fell through, once AOL/Time-Warner cancelled all wrestling events on their cable channels.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts