Wrestling Forum banner

81 - 100 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
If you're World Wrestling Entertainment and you want to branch out into the world (including places like China), you're gonna need a few foreign superstars. WWE is becoming increasingly global and getting literally the best talent in the world is a big part of that.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Welp, mission failed.
Of course you don't WANT to sound like a racist, Vince. No one does. Especially a massive racist.

In all seriousness though, I don't think Russo is racist - I'll put this down to an unfortunate turn of phrase on his part. However, this attitude is complete fucking HORSESHIT.

I'm sorry to the Americans around here, but you can't carry on disguising this systemic bigotry as "Patriotism" like this. Saying "I'm American, so I don't want this foreigner to be here" is not patriotic, it's racist.

I'm not getting into a political argument here about "Oh, so we should allow our countries to become overrun with foreigners, should we?" Of course I don't believe that.

But outright stating that "I'm An American, so I will NEVER GIVE A SHIT ABOUT A JAPANESE GUY" is so UNBELIEVABLY ignorant and bigoted that I'm kind of shocked that he didn't realise what he'd said, and edit that shit out of the podcast.

I'm English - should I never give a shit about "An American Guy" in WWE?
Is that how this works?

Or what, are you going to state "American Company, American Workers" at me?
I suppose that's great, if you're a communist. But as far as I can tell, America isn't quite Communist yet - as much as Trump is trying.
Bro, its called "in-group preference" and its really not that complicated. It makes entertainment comfy. Protip: You cannot GUILT people into enjoying something that they do not want to enjoy in an ENTERTAINMENT product.

Ask the Ghostbusters reboot how that worked out. The logic is simple: "If you aren't some kind of evil sexist, you should like ghostbusters just as much whether it stars men or women, because men and women are equal", but in reality, its a guy's movie, and overtly planting a feminist flag in it caused a backlash (plus the jokes sucked).

Guilt is the opposite of entertainment, and that's exactly what you're doing when you call somebody "ignorant and bigoted" for not caring about the Japanese guy.
Their loss. Unknot your panties.

·
Registered
7,504 Posts
Obvious racism aside (when someone begins his sentence by "I'm not a racist, but...", you know what's coming), this is a BS argument. Canadians and to a lesser extent Mexicans have been extremely succesful in WWE and american wrestling in general. Yes, getting a Japanese guy over is a tougher proposition due to the cultural differences, but Nakamura (he's the one we're talking about, right?), can and will succeed. He doesn't have to be FOTC, but he's already very popular and he's only going upwards from here.

·
Let's talk about six, baby.
8,410 Posts
I don't agree with him but I have no doubt that a lot of people do.

·
Banned
42 Posts
Russo is exactly right, bro. All them damn Japs and spics will never get over. USA, USA, USA, USA. MAGA. All hail President Trump, WWE Hall of Famer and therefore someone all you little marks must bow down and pay homage to.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Okay, we all know the obvious Eddie and Mysterio, but those 2 aside, with all the japanese and mexican wrestlers who have tried their luck in wwe, how many were really over with the crowd?
Yokuzuna portrayed as Japanese, but he was Samoan. I can´t think of anybody right on top of my head?
Does this mean Russo is right? Nope. I just mean that every Japanese and/ or Mexican wrestler is slapped with a stereotypical gimmick that nobody cares about and start riding lawnmovers or chopping things while they speak with a funny accent.

·
Registered
17,496 Posts
Okay, we all know the obvious Eddie and Mysterio, but those 2 aside, with all the japanese and mexican wrestlers who have tried their luck in wwe, how many were really over with the crowd?
Yokuzuna portrayed as Japanese, but he was Samoan. I can´t think of anybody right on top of my head?
Does this mean Russo is right? Nope. I just mean that every Japanese and/ or Mexican wrestler is slapped with a stereotypical gimmick that nobody cares about and start riding lawnmovers or chopping things while they speak with a funny accent.
Tajiri always did well for himself.

Sent from my 4009X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Russo is NOT wrong. It's not even because we're all racist, it's because the Mexican/Japanese style is different. Rey did get over but generally speaking, not many others did. I do not expect Nakamura to get over with the casuals because he is so different, not because everyone remembers Pearl Harbor and hates Japan.

81 - 100 of 132 Posts