Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In an interview with AfterBuzz TV, Vince Russo discussed how talents like Bray Wyatt and Drew McIntyre are being hurt by poor writing in WWE, noting that a guy like McIntyre should stand up to the writers to protect his character. Highlights are below.

On how WWE writers can’t write up to Bray Wyatt’s level:
“The problem with a guy like a Bray Wyatt, bro, is, this guy is so great and so incredible, they can’t write up to his level. So what do they do? They wind up pulling him down, pulling him down, pulling him down. Bro, a good writer is not going to do that.”
On how Drew McIntyre is suffering from poor WWE writing:
“I love Drew, I’ve had Drew on my show, I’m a big Drew fan. Bro, when I’m sitting here watching Drew cut that promo, I’m watching it and I’m like, he doesn’t know who he is. He’s trying to be funny, then he’s serious, it’s not coming across genuine. So that’s telling me, the writer has not tapped into who Drew McIntyre is. And that promo is coming across as very non-sincere, and it’s hurting his character, and I can see that just by looking at it that, bro, that’s not who he is. That’s not what he would say. This is coming across very, very forced.”

·
Registered
68 Posts
There has been nothing wrong with Bray's booking as long as he gets the title back at Summerslam.

Drew on the other hand is just generic default babyface #434352 and that's his problem, no depth to his character. Similar to Roman Reigns, they both have the look that Vince wants but both lack the bigger than life charisma. Big part of that is his fault. He's getting the push as face of Raw and there's no reason why he can't recommend things for his character.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Vince will book/write any top babyface into oblivion if they don't stand up for themselves. Kevin Nash is a charismatic guy, but Vince turned him into a smiling dolt too. Nash at the time, didn't want to rock the boat, so he went along with it. It's no coincidence that he seemed to come alive at Survivor Series 95 after he lost the title and got to drop the smiling good guy persona.

Austin and Rock were really the only two top faces(post Hogan) to really stand up for themselves and tell Vince and the writers to go pound salt when something stupid was presented. Nowadays, people just want to make Vince happy, so they'll go along with whatever garbage he wants. McIntyre, Reigns, Rollins, Strowman are no different. Only person who has any balls is Lesnar because he knows Vince needs him a lot more than he needs Vince.

·
Premium Member
11,980 Posts
Bro I'm telling you they're hurting his character. I remember Vince telling me, bro I kid you not I remember it clear as day, he was in his office, I can't remember when bro but I won't lie to you bro

·
Registered
12,682 Posts
Not enough bros for me to believe that’s what he said verbatim.

·
The Babyface of WF
11,676 Posts
Drew isn't defined in a sense he has something different from the rest, He's got a backstory to present who he was/is but despite his promos lamenting he's a very serious almost brutish competitor that likes to have fun from time to time he still could use work on his persona.

·
it's a tarp!
4,966 Posts
Drew needs to go from being a big badass Scott to being a 1980's American Yuppie on Wall Street?
No just embrace being a psychopath and enjoy the freedom that gives you.

You don't have to suck up, you can inflict untold pain on opponents, you can be a bad bad man.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
No just embrace being a psychopath and enjoy the freedom that gives you.

You don't have to suck up, you can inflict untold pain on opponents, you can be a bad bad man.
No he's not the Scottish Psychopath anymore. Crazy people can't be heroes for small kiddies. Heroes say their prayers and eat their vitamins and veggies.

This is Vince McMahons never ending soap opera, why on Earth would you expect a cool badass who kicks ass and gets over like Stone Cold? They didn't let Moxley do that. He had to fucking quit to get to do that. Vince has his ideas about what a hero is, and it's his show and the wrestlers are his actors.

·
Registered
643 Posts
He's not wrong.
Bray is a class above WWE Creative and has been for years
McIntyre should be a presented as a serious badass who lets his fists do the talking. They shouldn't be writing jokes for him.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts