Wrestling Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
@Gh0stFace

" Listen Bro, I tell these marks on Wrestlingggggg....forum is that what you call it, I created the Attitude era, it was me an Ferrara day in and day out
we did everything bro. We would travel in the Brooklyn and the Bronx and just walk around and get idears. Let me tell you something Vince Mccmahon
himself won't answer my god damn e-mails when RAW gets a 2.5 on the quarter hour BUT this damn Wrestling Forum has the gull to bash me when I saved
the Damn Company in 1997. I don't need this Shi*t, I didn't need it in WWF I didn't need it in WCW and I sure as hell don't need it from you smarks on wrestling foum.. You don't know jack sh*t bro you and Jim Cornette that fat piece of sh*t. All you people is the same, I don't give a Fu*k you kick me off PodCast one F*uck u marks."

·
Registered
847 Posts
The product was great with him as lead writer. Not sure what to credit to him though as It's not like he wrote every angle from scratch with no one else's input. Ex Pritchard came up with Kane and much of that Taker Kane early storyline. Ross came up with the idea of Rock talking in 3rd person like an entitled athlete. I'm sure a lot of the success falls on him but people need to understand that he wasn't some wizard in the back single handedly creating the era. Then you get into WCW and TNA where that got exposed. You take away VKM squashing some of his dumb ideas and just get his writing and it can be a big turn off.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Where is your proof OP?

·
Registered
275 Posts
What I dont get is why some fans try to put the childish/embarrassing shit on him to help their argument of bashing his work during the Monday night wars period when stuff like 'choppy, choppy, pee, pee' screams Vince McMahon's input into a storyline as there is decades of evidence to back up Vince McMahon being behind these type of face palm worthy segments.

·
Registered
948 Posts
When he came to WCW, he finally did the right thing and put the World Championship on Bret Hart and built Bret Hart to be the new cool NWO leader before fn Goldberg ruined his career.
None of that meant much of anything though. Putting a title on someone is only as valuable as how you treat it. Russo arguably meant well and honestly, thought he was giving Bret a solid push but the title was moving around too much at that point and Bret winning it at Mayhem did nothing to correct the problems with the booking. The booking at this point was the same convoluted and directionless stuff that WCW had been known for. He was champ for less than a month before yet another pointless swerve that resulted in yet another heel turn. To be fair to Russo, the confusing back and forth with Hart's babyface/heel turns was a problem before he even got there but he made no effort to remedy it.

Bret's time as the "new cool NWO leader" was a complete dud in a forgettable stale reinvention of the group that stands out as the most ineffective one ever. Nearly every element of it from the Hart heel turn swerve to the worked shoot "Montreal screwjob" booking of the Starcadde finish had already been multiple times before over the last year.

If you want to credit Russo for anything Bret-related, go back and look at the 1996-97 run, between October 1996 into the summer of '97. Strong, consistent booking that held together for close to a year. Bret was perceived as a major main eventer without even needing a title. The transition from Bret-Shawn II at Mania to Bret-Austin was seamless and the eventual Bret heel turn was inspired. They found ways to work around Bret's knee injury and Shawn walking out over the locker room fight. The Canada vs. USA angle was good, logical storytelling that utilized a lot of reality to draw the audience in. If we are going to credit any period of storytelling that Russo had a hand in as being "underrated", that fall 1996 into Mania XIV stretch is it. How they handled Shawn dropping out of Mania 13, Austin getting dropped on his neck, and Bret leaving for WCW, you can look back and see how well they managed to take a potential negative and turn it into a positive. There was none of that in his time with WCW.

What I dont get is why some fans try to put the childish/embarrassing shit on him to help their argument of bashing his work during the Monday night wars period when stuff like 'choppy, choppy, pee, pee' screams Vince McMahon's input into a storyline as there is decades of evidence to back up Vince McMahon being behind these type of face palm worthy segments.
I think McMahon is just as much to blame if not more than Russo for all that garbage but in the "blame and credit go hand in hand" philosophy, McMahon ran the ship. Russo's ideas only happened because Vince put his money and brand behind them. If anything, Russo in WCW showed just how important the production team at WWF was to getting those "Attitude Era" segments to work.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I view Russo in a favourable manner also but I think he should be a contributor not a head writer.

For example in the WWF when he was writing it's been said he pitched some gold to McMahon but he also pitched some shit. Vince being a good head writer/head creative type knows what will work well on television and what would not so Russo was absolutely an asset during that time period. He's also very good at making shows entertaining, giving every character on the show a feud or a character and making them entertaining. Those are Russo strengths.

Russo does not work as a head writer because he doesn't know a bad idea when it comes to him. That is what happened in his WCW run he was given complete control and told to try and get as much ratings as possible as quick as he could which lead to him hotshot booking and trying to make WCW TV as close as he could to WWF at the time but it was naturally watered down because WCW had it's limitations and Turner didn't want a WWF style show on their network.

I'm a strong believer that if Eric Bischoff or another proven "head of creative" type was working above Russo and Ferrara they would have been good pick ups for WCW. Russo has that knack for giving something to everyone and seemed to have some idea on who should be pushed (Vampiro mainly) and would've been a phenomenal asset but unfortunately they took a massive risk on him and it backfired which lead to WCW falling in 00.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Russo does not work as a head writer because he doesn't know a bad idea when it comes to him. That is what happened in his WCW run he was given complete control and told to try and get as much ratings as possible as quick as he could which lead to him hotshot booking and trying to make WCW TV as close as he could to WWF at the time but it was naturally watered down because WCW had it's limitations and Turner didn't want a WWF style show on their network.
I think there is also the reality that if the idea isn't executed as good or better than it is always going to come off as second rate. Vince McMahon as a sinister authority figure worked so effectively for the same reason that Hulk Hogan joining the New World Order worked. There was a long established history combined with a storyline opening that made perfect sense and was impeccably timed.

1999 WCW was having its own problems long before Russo stepped in but his contributions showed a considerable ignorance to the problem. He was doing everything that the previous creative teams were doing wrong at a much quicker pace and louder volume. He didn't seem to get what made his own success with the "Attitude Era" work and why it wouldn't garner the same results in a completely different company. The biggest characters in that boom period (Steve Austin, Mr. McMahon, Shawn Michaels, Undertaker, Mankind) were familiar talents whose gimmicks could be reworked while still allowing their familiarity with the audience to help and their experience in front of the camera made them natural. The younger new stars (Rock, Hunter, Kane) were often either pitted against the veterans in matches or paired with them in interviews allowing them to get the on-the-job training they needed and benefiting from the credibility rub that working with the top guys gave them. Russo seemed like to genuinely believe that the only difference in a good interview and a bad one was the writing.

He was banking on the idea that the same writing that made Mr. McMahon a top heel could be incorporated to himself in WCW. Problem was he had no history as an on-air talent beyond one segment on RAW and a whole bunch of appearances on Livewire under a fake gimmick. Most of the regular WCW audience had no idea who he was, he didn't have a good speaking voice or comfortable camera presence, and yet he was somehow convinced he was the perfect candidate to be a top heel because the Internet marks hated him.

He needed a different blueprint for WCW. He'd been so reliant on the "Hey, let's stop everything in the middle of the show and throw the audience a curveball" style of booking but the storylines had already become so disorganized, convoluted, and inconsistent that that just wasn't an option. For unpredictability to work in storytelling, you need an established foundation so that you can trick the audience by playing with their expectations. Without it, you're just throwing shit against the wall. By the time Russo got to WCW, there were three companies (WWF, WCW, ECW) with national cable and pay-per-view television. All doing counter-culture worked shoot style stuff for the better part of two years. Smart money would have been on trying something different particularly when Standard and Practices at Turner was giving him such shit.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Seriously, don’t go back and watch 1 of the 150 Raws he wrote... unless you want to risk coming to your own objective conclusion that Vince Russo was a major reason why wrestling was universally accepted and considered awesome for a period of time.

He’s underrated because of the following facts:

- Left WWE on his own terms.

- Wrote a book criticising WWE.

- Didn’t feed the dirtsheets (like Paul Heyman ‘The Genius’ still does).

- Took over Cornette and Pritchard’s role and ratings tripled, so the bury him.

- New philosophy that proves far more successful, so traditionalists bury him.

- Wrestling is a carny industry, so if you’re not working the game in the right way... they’ll bury you.

talk about over fucking rated. its this jay sherman look alike right here

·
Registered
6,962 Posts
Once he became just Russo and not Vic Venom anymore I wasn't a fan. Here's Vic, a suave character.

Despite popular opinion, his in ring career was okay IMO.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts