Wrestling Forum banner

Vince on who the next “John Cena” would be

3592 36
Source: http://prowrestlingnewz.wordpress.c...all-report-2-10-11-ppv-business-network-more/

Maybe Miz & Del Rio but i don't see Orton being the next Cena
Vince was asked about who the next “John Cena” would be. He then put over The Miz, Randy Orton and Alberto Del Rio. He then noted that fans are starting to buy into the newer characters, and that the fan reactions at live events are a barometer for them.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Judging fan reactions can be a good barometer, but they must be mindful of how the characters are booked - in particular the endogeneity of storylines in determining how fans react.

It's not surprising that Sheamus for instance is not getting as much heat now as he did when he was in the WWE title picture. Same goes for Swagger. Relegate Miz to the mid-card, and you'll see the crowd reactions to his monologues dwindle. Or take Barrett for example - he played the role of the scheming, manipulative leader of a heel stable to perfection in the second half of last year and got very loud reactions from the crowd whenever he opened his mouth to speak; now with The Corre, it's not quite the same.

In essence, what I am saying is that the process about gauging fan reactions at live events to make decisions on who to put over is a self-reinforcing circle. Because whoever (within reason) management decide to push will generate louder pops from the crowds.

·
Harvester of Sorrow
13,706 Posts
Typical bullshit from Vince, trying to put over Randy Orton as the next John Cena. As for Del Rio and Miz, well I'm not sure if Del Rio can even play a face. He seems to be one of those guys who's naturally a heel. Miz could work but I'm not sure.

·
Young winger learning from greats such as Downing
13,078 Posts
:lmao did this really happen?

Did Vince really say those three based on how the fans are reacting? The fans don't give a shit about Del Rio, Miz is having trouble staying over, and the fans are starting to turn on Randy Orton.

What the hell? :lmao

·
Banned
2,684 Posts
Is he a household name? No so he still counts. But I don't think he will be the next guy to become a household name.
Uh, Cena isn't a household name either.

The poster's point was it's going to be pretty hard to make Orton the next Cena considering he's been around in the main event for six years and still isn't a significant draw.

And if I may add something to that, Cena makes around $18 million a year on merchandise sales alone. That's a lot of revenue. Not even taking into account his gates on live events and so forth.

Orton, today at his most popular and after several years of pushing and exposure, isn't even matching the Cena of 2004. Let alone the John Cena who's been running rampant for half a decade now.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I can imagine Vince struggling to name people and keeping a straight face while answering this question. No way he believes these guys are the next Cena, but he has to name someone. Can't be like well....we have nobody else that is popular and once Cena goes we might be fucked.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I can imagine Vince struggling to name people and keeping a straight face while answering this question. No way he believes these guys are the next Cena, but he has to name someone. Can't be like well....we have nobody else that is popular and once Cena goes we might be fucked.
At that point Hornswoggle would have been pushed to the moon

·
FEED ME LESS!
3,867 Posts

The poster's point was it's going to be pretty hard to make Orton the next Cena considering he's been around in the main event for six years and still isn't a significant draw.

And if I may add something to that, Cena makes around $18 million a year on merchandise sales alone. That's a lot of revenue. Not even taking into account his gates on live events and so forth.

Orton, today at his most popular and after several years of pushing and exposure, isn't even matching the Cena of 2004. Let alone the John Cena who's been running rampant for half a decade now.

cena is easily a household name

·
Registered
20,042 Posts

Yes, he is. Tons of people I know who have never watched wrestling and even have a disdain for it recognize him even by name but especially by face.

·
Banned
2,684 Posts
No, he isn't.

Either people provide some evidence supporting this reasoning or shut up with their nonsense.

If you're a household name, you don't flop like Cena did in the mainstream. A household name is a name known to the majority of households. Your anectodal crap of, "I asked tons of people who Cena is and they knew him," isn't going to cut it. For one, you don't know tons of people. And the people you know hardly matter when it comes to determining who is a houshold name in a nation of 300+ million.

What matters is hard facts. And Cena's huge failure in movies, as well as being an unknown in the mainstream, says all that needs to be said about him being a household name.

He's a household name amongst wrestling fans. Which is a stupid definition to use anyway. Because even Triple H, Shawn Michaels and the like are household names in that case.

But an actual household name? Like Hogan was back in the day or some very popular celebrities are today? No. Hell no. And anyone who thinks he is, is deluded. That's all there is to it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.