Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I didn't start to get into wrestling until the Ruthless Aggression Era, so I was surprised when I learned that Vince McMahon, a non-wrestler, actually won the 1999 Royal Rumble. I'm fairly certain this is the only time that's ever happened. Not only that, but as the winner, McMahon didn't even end up in the Main-event at WrestleMania 15. As you probably know, that match ended up being The Rock vs. Steve Austin for the WWF Championship.

So why not just have Austin win again? Did they not want to have Austin win three years in a row? Is this just one of those things that made sense at the time, but for a newcomer looking back seems weird? For those who can remember, what did you think of it then? And looking back now, what could/should they have done instead?

·
Banned
730 Posts
Re: Vince McMahon Winning the 1999 Royal Rumble

It was suppose to build heel heat on Mcmahon. Typical Russo garbage though, waste of a Rumble win.

·
Registered
619 Posts

I'm guessing they didn't want Austin to win the Rumble for a third time in a row, yet had their hearts set on an Austin vs Rock main event for WM. Besides doing it like this gave McMahon a whole lot of heat and was just another part of the McMahon/Austin rivalry.

·
#WoodwardOut #LUHG
15,085 Posts

it was crazy

perfect fit for 1999 WWF

·
Number 30 in the Rumble
1,629 Posts

It was part of an Angle where he wanted to prevent Austin from winning the Rumble. It's where the "No Chance In Hell" thing started too(Austin had no chance of winning the Rumble).

·
Banned
6,752 Posts

Just your basic wrestling swerve. I doubt very many people thought there was a big chance of the owner himself actually winning the Rumble, especially since almost anytime they stack the odds against a babyface like Austin this much (i.e. not only forcing Austin to enter at #1 , but putting a bounty on his head by promising $100,000 to whoever eliminated him from the Rumble), the babyface usually manages to pull through. Especially since we all knew Austin vs Rock was happening at Wrestlemania 15 anyway and Austin had been screwed enough by McMahon in the last few months. (That, and they probably just didn't want Austin to win the actual Rumble for a third time in a row.)

I guess I'm one of the few who actually doesn't mind that McMahon won the Rumble? Looking back on it in retrospect, McMahon has been an integral part of so many angles and matches over the years that I don't really mind that he won a Rumble on top of it. It's not like he went on to actually headline Wrestlemania that year or anything. And the only other possible conclusion to the match was A.) Austin winning the Rumble for the third time (which would make four victories overall looking back on it now), or B.) Big Show debuting here instead of February as a surprise entrant and tossing Austin out to win the Rumble, only to lose the Wrestlemania title shot to Austin later. But I don't even know if Show had signed an actual contract by Rumble time.

·
Banned
3,278 Posts

Vince Mcmahon was a huge draw in 1998(Him wrestling for the first time is what ended Nitro's rating streak) and they wanted to further add to his character and have a shocking moment, it was apart of the storyline in attempt to get Austin over. problem was Mcmahon, Rock and Mankind were bigger draws,

thankfully during this time he used them more than he did in 1998, and actually acknowledged himself, Mankind and Rock as the biggest WWF draws when he had them headline his biggest promotion, Halftime Heat.

·
Premium Member
930 Posts

Mr. Mcmahon went on to become WWF Champion, which is more than Lex Luger did.

·
Likes wrestling....
10,892 Posts

I hated it, understood it, but hated it.

And I can honestly say I saw it coming a mile away. I mean take a look at the Rumble 99 entrants. Who else is the WWF going to put over? Chyna, Jarrett, Shamrock, Golga? Watching wrestling 99 there were obviously only two viable winners: Vince and Austin. But viable in different ways....

One makes sense because he was the best, the other because he makes the decision.

Here we go again with the subtle rewriting of history. We look back and make sense of it. "Makes sense in the story", "Vince was a great heel." Both are true however...

Back then most of the wrestling people I knew, thought this was all about Vince's ego. He did not have to win the Rumble for a swerve. He simply had to let someone other than Austin win it as a swerve. Major difference. Of course the boss with the huge ego winning makes sense and that's why everyone I was watching the match with at the time knew he would actually go through with it.

Okay I know many of you will tell me that it was fine. Sometimes I simply present the other side of things because I remember things differently.

27 men and one lady were not viable winners.....if one of them had won, now that would have been a swerve and maybe something fun comes out of it. But nope time for the billionaire to get the win.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts

people bitch about vince winning the royal rumble (love how russo gets all the blame but mcmahon said yes to it) and then people bitch that there was never an austin vs mcmahon match at wm. i think austin winning 3 years in a row would have been a bit much and there was a serious lack of star power that year. no rock, no taker, no mankind, HHH was still mid-card. it says it all that the final 4 were austin, mcmahon, big boss man and d lo brown.

·
Registered
21,660 Posts

Everyone just take a step back. Steve Austin didn't need the Rumble win and it made for more of an interesting story having Vince win it and then Austin still main eventing. This drove Mr. McMahon crazy and was fantastic television.

·
Registered
412 Posts

Running the wave of what was making money at that time.

·
Likes wrestling....
10,892 Posts

Everyone just take a step back. Steve Austin didn't need the Rumble win and it made for more of an interesting story having Vince win it and then Austin still main eventing. This drove Mr. McMahon crazy and was fantastic television.
Wait I thought most people here were agreeing with you, except me.

·
Number 30 in the Rumble
1,629 Posts

And he still didn't get booed as strongly as Batista and Reigns.

·
I'm too busy, faded in Japan with the crew
10,397 Posts

NO CHANCE! :vince

·
- Eezo -
1,810 Posts

Like others have said, it was to build the Vince/Austin rivalry

I was shocked when a younger me found out lol

1 - 20 of 59 Posts