Wrestling Forum banner

61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
"Too Pro Wrestling" is such a meaningless phrase. Does that mean we're gonna get more traditional terms replaced with new buzzwords?

Maybe Vince can come up with a new name for the ring or the ropes?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
This motherfucker is right, he is pretty fucking right.

But he is also THE REASON behind his stars being too pro wrestling, so what the fuck is this old
bitch ass crazy son of a gun talking about. IF YOU KNOW YOUR SHIT SUCKS, CHANGE IT.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I never understand Vince McMahon in that sense. He made it big by making pro wrestling bigger than it has ever been but yet seems to hate the word pro wrestling.

The whole "sports entertainment" label has always been pointless because hardly anyone refers to WWE or any wrestling company as such. Let's be honest most people say "wrestling is on TV". I do not see why Vince thinks it is such a dirty word.

I also never understand why Vince seems to think "wrestling fans" want to see his brand of bad comedy over actual wrestlers, matches and characters getting themselves over with their own talents and promo work.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Could take it more serious if every single title holder other than Brock wasn't just a pure 'pro wrestler' ffs

·
Butter My Arse
11,758 Posts
Ever notice as well that for all the 30+ years we’ve heard him talk...he can’t even pronounce the word ‘wrestling’? Or maybe doesn’t even want the dirty word to pass his lips?

WORLD RUSSLING FEDERATION
WELCOME TO RUSSLEMANIAAAA

It’s preposterous but pretty funny all the same.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Will be controversial but I agree. We are in the "workrate" era, and are desperately lacking characters & star power.
When you consider that in 5 years, everyone on the main roster will be NXT alumni and that the look and booking will probably be similar - then yes, if in Vince McMahon's view "pro wrestling" means strictly "athletic" contests in dimly lit arenas circa Verne Gagne's AWA, the WWF will have become primarily a "pro wrestling" company.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
I never understand Vince McMahon in that sense. He made it big by making pro wrestling bigger than it has ever been but yet seems to hate the word pro wrestling.

The whole "sports entertainment" label has always been pointless because hardly anyone refers to WWE or any wrestling company as such. Let's be honest most people say "wrestling is on TV". I do not see why Vince thinks it is such a dirty word.

I also never understand why Vince seems to think "wrestling fans" want to see his brand of bad comedy over actual wrestlers, matches and characters getting themselves over with their own talents and promo work.
Pro Wrestling in Vince McMahon's Mind, circa late 80s:
Basically a stripped down, strictly athletic contest between normal performers with minimal to no gimmicks. No flash. Nothing to draw in a viewer who was not already a wrestling fan. Emphasis on lack of lighting

Sports Entertainment in Vince McMahon's Mind, circa late 80s:

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
I don't understand why people are confusing "to pro wrestling" with "to work-rate focused."

Pro wrestling is promos. Good story hooks. Your company is to "Vince bullshit cuckold stories" and 24/7 nonsense and not enough compelling promos and pro wrestling.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
When will Vince himself admit that he is out of touch with today's reality? Jesus christ. :lbjwut

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
Perhaps Vince should pass the memo to his son-in-law. I don't watch NXT, but I've seen planks of wood with more charisma than the latest waves of these guys.

You may think I'm joking, but I'm serious. This last promo eclipses the entertainment value of anything I've seen Ricochet do.

·
Registered
11,829 Posts
Uh, if anything the company itself is "too pro wrestling" nowadays. Too much emphasis on in-ring action and not enough on drama and storylines, too many charisma vacuums with ordinary names and no personality (Seth, I'm looking at you) taking up room on the roster.
Too much emphasis on in-ring action on main roster?

Last month WWE have placed focus on
1. 24/7 comedy stuff
2. Maria and Mike pregnancy stuff
3. Firefly funhouse skits and numerous fiend attacks
4. Owens and Shane sueing storyline
6. Who tried to kill Roman Reigns
7. Lana fucking Lashley
8. Corbin dressing up as cartoon king
9. Brock beating up Mysterio and his son and then Cain debuting
10. Strowman teasing Fury and brawl ensuing.

On the flipside the two world title matches this past week, one lasted 5 seconds and what we got at HIAC.

WWE completely treat matches on main roster as complete filler right now.

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
Too much emphasis on in-ring action on main roster?

Last month WWE have placed focus on
1. 24/7 comedy stuff
2. Maria and Mike pregnancy stuff
3. Firefly funhouse skits and numerous fiend attacks
4. Owens and Shane sueing storyline
6. Who tried to kill Roman Reigns
7. Lana fucking Lashley
8. Corbin dressing up as cartoon king
9. Brock beating up Mysterio and his son and then Cain debuting
10. Strowman teasing Fury and brawl ensuing.

On the flipside the two world title matches this past week, one lasted 5 seconds and what we got at HIAC.

WWE completely treat matches on main roster as complete filler right now.
Yes, but that filler takes up the grand majority of the show. Also you skipped #5 in order to fill out a top 10 list lol. Also half your list is stuff that only started in the last few weeks

Their main star is a guy whose gimmick is literally being nothing other than a great professional wrestler. He's the guy they've pushed to the top all year and it sucks.

·
Registered
11,829 Posts
Yes, but that filler takes up the grand majority of the show. Also you skipped #5 in order to fill out a top 10 list lol. Also half your list is stuff that only started in the last few weeks

Their main star is a guy whose gimmick is literally being nothing other than a great professional wrestler. He's the guy they've pushed to the top all year and it sucks.
Main star is Brock. Rollins hasn't even mainevented a Wrestlemania yet after 7 years on main roster. Summerslam was the first time he mainevented a major ppv in a singles match.

Rollins has been involved in far more sports entertainment stuff since leaving shield ie joining authority, trying to murder Cena, Ambrose and edge. Having two midget minders, having a statue of himself made which sting destroyed, having Jon Stewart help him beat Cena, invade nxt to challenge HHH, Ambrose turning in him, feuding with Corbin and Lacey Evans, tagging with Becky, boom box brock who beat him up weekly, tag team with Strowman where they didn't get along and last month being attacked by fiend and that 'match' at HIAC which was complete sports entertainment, really bad WCW 2000, TNA type sports entertainment.

When was the last time Rollins was booked to be a great in-ring wrestler? Probably the Gauntlet match back in February 2018.

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
I have just one thing to say to that

Oh, turns out I had more to say than I realised

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
"reportedly" but the only one that can be traced to that is an interview from Kane stating it was Stephanie who said...Superstars? Seems like you should be asking Stephanie some questions and not Vince.

61 - 80 of 106 Posts