Wrestling Forum banner

41 - 60 of 118 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,358 Posts
Not really. The only reason it ever happened in the first place is because Vince backtracked on honoring Bret's contract less than a year after it was signed.
I don't get what you're saying.

Just to be clear, what I mean by "Bret's fault" is in reference to him refusing to drop the title in Montreal. Vince backtracking on the contract wasn't the reason for Bret refusing to drop the title. But, Bret refusing to drop the title was the reason for the screwjob.

Hence it's kind of Bret's fault.

·
Registered
13,342 Posts
I don't get what you're saying.

Just to be clear, what I mean by "Bret's fault" is in reference to him refusing to drop the title in Montreal. Vince backtracking on the contract wasn't the reason for Bret refusing to drop the title. But, Bret refusing to drop the title was the reason for the screwjob.

Hence it's kind of Bret's fault.

Bret not wanting to drop the title in Canada is his fault but the circumstances behind the Montreal Screwjob started because Vince didn't want to honor his contractual obligations to Bret. This led to Bret agreeing to a contract with WCW while Vince still allowed him to represent the company as champion. Vince would have had no reason to orchestrate the Montreal Screwjob if not for the fear of Bret taking the title to his rival.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Did anyone notice Bret said he had a 60 day reasonable creative control on the A&E documentary or did I hear him wrong? Is he just remembering wrong?

·
Premium Member
15,358 Posts
Bret not wanting to drop the title in Canada is his fault but the circumstances behind the Montreal Screwjob started because Vince didn't want to honor his contractual obligations to Bret. This led to Bret agreeing to a contract with WCW while Vince still allowed him to represent the company as champion.
The bold is my point, though and here's why...

Vince would have had no reason to orchestrate the Montreal Screwjob if not for the fear of Bret taking the title to his rival.
Would that fear exist if Bret doesn't refuse to drop the title in Montreal?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Didn't Bret end up taking Vince to court for violating the terms of their agreement? Specifically the creative control clause for the final 30 days of his WWF contract? Or did the MSJ occur before the remaining 30 days of Bret's contract?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Didn't Bret end up taking Vince to court for violating the terms of their agreement? Specifically the creative control clause for the final 30 days of his WWF contract? Or did the MSJ occur before the remaining 30 days of Bret's contract?
It was within the 30 days but I've never heard of him taking Vince to court. I always assume because then Vince would press charges for assault for punching him and he'd have to deal with that.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Bret not wanting to drop the title in Canada is his fault but the circumstances behind the Montreal Screwjob started because Vince didn't want to honor his contractual obligations to Bret. This led to Bret agreeing to a contract with WCW while Vince still allowed him to represent the company as champion. Vince would have had no reason to orchestrate the Montreal Screwjob if not for the fear of Bret taking the title to his rival.
Vince didn't have an out of the contract. He just told Bret he was going to job to HBK like 5 times straight if he didn't negotiate a deal with WCW. But Vince wanted Bret to use the WWF as leverage to get a pretty fat deal from WCW which made Bret a very rich man. Of course Goldberg's kick screwed him out of some of that.

Speaking of, I've always thought Bret should have held more of a grudge against Goldberg than HBK or Vince. Goldberg's dumbass kicked him in the head as hard as he could. That was the real screwjob of Bret, Goldberg being dangerous as hell in the ring.

·
Premium Member
15,358 Posts
Speaking of, I've always thought Bret should have held more of a grudge against Goldberg than HBK or Vince. Goldberg's dumbass kicked him in the head as hard as he could. That was the real screwjob of Bret, Goldberg being dangerous as hell in the ring.
When it comes to Shawn, I get it. But, not Vince, as after 1999, that wasn't just about a screwjob anymore.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
It was within the 30 days but I've never heard of him taking Vince to court. I always assume because then Vince would press charges for assault for punching him and he'd have to deal with that.
I think it had more to do with how difficult something like "reasonable" creative control would be to battle in court. If Vince had booked him to get his head shaved or work an angle where he peed his pants in the middle of the ring or any number of angles that would have made him look terrible on the way out, that could be viewed as a reasonable grounds to veto a storyline but I'm not sure wanting your champion to lose the belt on a PPV to the guy you have chosen to be the top heel is the same. Bret not wanting to drop it before the match could also factor in. With courts, it's not always clear cut and pursuing it would likely be costly and accomplish very little in the long run.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Vince's head must have been turning at a million miles an hour during the latter half of 1997. Fancy getting yourself into a situation where you book one of your top wrestlers to win the belt, either realize you can no longer afford him/no longer want him & then find yourself in a paranoid situation where you need to get the belt off of him ASAP to avoid being buried by your competition.

·
The Fastest of the Fastest of Jamaican Sprinters
5,841 Posts
Bret is the greatest professional wrestler of all time. He dragged a drugged up husk of the British Bulldog, a guy who wasn't the greatest worker to begin with, to one of the greatest matches of all time. Put anyone else in that position and you're getting a mediocre match at best or, more likely, a Reigns/Undertaker-esque ridiculous disaster.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Bret is the greatest professional wrestler of all time. He dragged a drugged up husk of the British Bulldog, a guy who wasn't the greatest worker to begin with, to one of the greatest matches of all time. Put anyone else in that position and you're getting a mediocre match at best or, more likely, a Reigns/Undertaker-esque ridiculous disaster.
HBK would have done a better job.

·
Registered
13,342 Posts
Reactions: Deathvalleydriver

·
The Fastest of the Fastest of Jamaican Sprinters
5,841 Posts
Which of the numerous HBK/Bulldog matches was better than SS92?
And consider this: no HBK/Bulldog match can even touch the SECOND best Hart/Bulldog match from IYH December ‘95. He’ll come back with something nonsensical about the view from Michaels’ bellybutton or Rollins’ favorite post-coitus snacks.

·
Registered
370 Posts
And consider this: no HBK/Bulldog match can even touch the SECOND best Hart/Bulldog match from IYH December ‘95. He’ll come back with something nonsensical about the view from Michaels’ bellybutton or Rollins’ favorite post-coitus snacks.
I personally enjoyed HBK/Bulldog from KOTR 96 more than IYH Dec 95, but I could see arguments for both.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Nope, because the SS92 match is better than EVERY HBK/Bulldog match. There literally is no counter to that. Go lay down, troll.
HBK's match with the Bulldog at King Of The Ring 96 was just as good.

HBK always delivered on the big stage. Bret sometimes did but sometimes did not.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I kind like their 96 KOTR match and find that they had good chemistry but no none of their matches are close to touching Bret vs Bulldog 92 SS which is probably my favorite pro wrestling match ever

41 - 60 of 118 Posts