Wrestling Forum banner

41 - 60 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Giving everyone a heads up if your going to watch it again on tv tonight. There's going to be an after show where Chavo, Tommy Dreamer, and some others that are going to be talking about the episode.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm sure I'll get a bit of backlash for this but I can't be the only one thinking it.

The comment from chavo " it was like he lost a spouse" what we've heard about cte and the Aaron Hernandez story... anyone else get the vibe that Eddie and Chris may have been lovers? Or at the very least Chris may have had some unresolved/unexplored romantic feelings for Eddie? Just seemed a bit weird when vickie said she found him in their bed clutching Eddie's pillow and sobbing.

I'm not judging. But it would make perfect sense. A guy who is so disciplined, he forced himself to do hundreds of squats over a missed spot. A man of principle like that. It wouldn't be unbelievable that he wouldn't be comfortable being a homosexual in public. Also with Eddie's faith.... maybe he never expressed how he felt and the depression of eddie passing was too much to take knowing he could never confess...

Again I'm sure I'll get raked over the coals, but that's the vibe I got
Even if they didn't have a sexual relationship, the amount of time that they spent together over 11 years could've cultivated a "soulmate" dynamic between them. I'm sure they knew intimate things about each other that they never divulged to their respective spouses. Their lives were intertwined in so many ways, and then Eddie introducing Chris to religion deepened their bond even further. It's possible that they were as close as two could be without actually being blood-related or sexually involved.

As a teenager, I could never bring myself to judge Benoit because I figured that someone of sane mind wouldn't go and self-destruct like that. When they began describing his behavior post-Eddie, I couldn't help but compare it to my parents who both suffer from dementia (my dad died last month). The aggression, paranoia, extreme reclusion, inability to properly cope with stress were further exacerbated by the hazards of the wrestling 'lifestyle': bumps/injuries, constant traveling/lack of sleep, alcohol/pharmaceutical/steroid abuse. Benoit was truly fucked up, but nobody around him ever thought to look at his psychological/neurological health. Anyone who saw his video diary during Eddie's tribute show could tell that he needed some sort of intervention.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
The documentary was definitely interesting. The extra details on Eddie's death from Chavo- how they had to break into his hotel room etc- made it a lot more chilling.

Benoit seemed like a man who repressed his emotion a lot. He was this stoic, uber tough guy, and the death of Eddie just completely broke that wall down. Everyone was really upset and mourning on the Eddie tribute Raw, but there was a different energy from Benoit. He was shattered in a way I couldn't even begin to comprehend, like he lost a part of his own life, not just a friend.

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
It was tough to watch. Especially since they included the whole Eddie dying tragedy in it too. It was well done, except that one author guy they included seemed like a bit of a tool.

·
WWE Fan Since '81
1,077 Posts
Man that was tough to watch. I think people are just so still confused to this day as to how something like this could happen, and they've come up with all these various theories -- some say it was due to his depression over the loss of Eddie; some blamed "roid rage"; some said it was brain damage; some say it was a combination of things. Regardless, no matter what the reason, there was no reason to kill his wife and son. If he wanted to kill himself, fine, but there was no reason to include them. The tremendous pain and suffering he inflicted on the families, particularly his son David, is simply reprehensible.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Giving everyone a heads up if your going to watch it again on tv tonight. There's going to be an after show where Chavo, Tommy Dreamer, and some others that are going to be talking about the episode.
do you know where I can see this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't think Chris was always evil or vile person. So when I say Fuck him, I mean it. But I also have some sympathy which DOES NOT MEAN CONDONMENT. Benoit was one of the best and his life was sad and it made tear up. The guy needed help. If Chris was told that this unfortunate event would happen, he wouldn't even want to be in the hall of fame.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Man that was tough to watch. I think people are just so still confused to this day as to how something like this could happen, and they've come up with all these various theories -- some say it was due to his depression over the loss of Eddie; some blamed "roid rage"; some said it was brain damage; some say it was a combination of things. Regardless, no matter what the reason, there was no reason to kill his wife and son. If he wanted to kill himself, fine, but there was no reason to include them. The tremendous pain and suffering he inflicted on the families, particularly his son David, is simply reprehensible.
that's something that has intrigued my interest with this doc, who told David that Nancy's side didnt want anything to do with him and who told Sandra that the Benoits' wanted nothing to do with her and her side?

·
Registered
829 Posts
I teared up when David and Sandra shared that moment. Really awesome stuff.

Chris Benoit did not take care of himself, it's as simple as that. From Eddie dying and not handling it well, to the CTE, to the steroids he used since high school, it was the perfect storm for someone to explode.

He may have been a "good man" before all of this stuff, but at some point when you repress your emotions so much and when your brain is similar to an 88 year old with Alzheimers, you're gonna do some fucked up shit when you get pushed enough. He was probably fed up with Nancy, which is horrible to say. When he realized his son would have to deal with the fact that his father killed his mother, he did what he did. Then he probably had a meltdown, realized the things he did, probably thinking he couldn't show his face to the public anymore, so he killed himself.

He was very troubled, and Eddie's death pushed him over the edge. It's one of the most tragic stories ever, not just in wrestling, but in the world. Vice truly did a remarkable job on this documentary, and I think we all have some sort of closure regarding this whole situation.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you just put what he did down as him being a monster then youll never understand and see the signs in future. Not condoning what he did but people like him need to be shown to be human because, well they are and we as society need to see the causes to prevent in future.

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
I thought it was good, but was hard to watch. It is clear from a scientific point of view that brain damage changes who a person is. Chris was not a psychopath hiding out like many serial killers. He was a good person who was damaged. That damaged person murdered two innocent people. I think many people's lives have been saved by the CTE research that has come out of all of this.

41 - 60 of 139 Posts