·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reactions: DualShock

·
Banned
4,704 Posts
actually it was the caller not russo who first referred to it as a "new attitude in wwe"
Most calls were staged to avoid idiots calling, Remember the LiveWire episode when of all people calling Paul Heyman was the one who made it on the show when he first introduced himself as some fan?
The call was staged to to talk about the term "Attitude" and introduce a more edgier style. (during this period we already had Austin 3:16, Mankind & Pillman debuting, Jim Ross shooting on WWE and the formation of Nation of Domination.

Vince Russo proved already as Vic Venom in WWF magazines that he should take credit for this era. When we watched the absolute crappy childish characters in 94 & 95 and when WWE was in such a bad state Russo wrote Attitude Era style articles full of shoots and portraying heels as the cool guys.
Read a WWF magazine from 1995 and you think you read a magazine from 1998 and that it was already the Attitude Era. No wonder Vince McMahon wanted the shows looking like in a magazine and that he wanted it's writer in the writing team.

Watching Russo's rare WWE appearances makes me think how sad it is that Vic Venom was never featured in any storylines on WWE TV. He would make a great Attitude Era character

·
Banned
1,065 Posts
This conjures up a question I have always had: when exactly did Russo become Vince's head booker? I have often wondered about what his influence was when he was primarily a magazine pundit. Was it a slow process getting him involved with the TV writing or was it pretty overnight?

Anyone know about this?

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
This conjures up a question I have always had: when exactly did Russo become Vince's head booker? I have often wondered about what his influence was when he was primarily a magazine pundit. Was it a slow process getting him involved with the TV writing or was it pretty overnight?

Anyone know about this?
March 1997 when Raw is War debuted.

·
Premium Member
19,291 Posts
Very interesting. The January 1997 WWF Magazine also had a big article about ATTITUDE and possible changes to the WWF. Really cool stuff considering what we know now. Looks like it was the direction they had planned to an extent in late 1996.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Very interesting. The January 1997 WWF Magazine also had a big article about ATTITUDE and possible changes to the WWF. Really cool stuff considering what we know now. Looks like it was the direction they had planned to an extent in late 1996.
That makes sense. It must have taken a while to plan out the stage overhaul for the RAW set, plus you could see beginning with Survior Series '96 and Austin's rise to fame that the characters were starting to get more of an "edge" when Sid became WWF Champion. Even that first RAW is WAR intro seemed to have a well planned shoot and must have been worked on much earlier before the final product came out.

Traces can even be seen as early as Diesel's "tweener" run on his way out that began at Survivor Series '95 when he power bombed Bret, yet still remained a non-heel for the most part.

·
Banned
4,704 Posts

Anyone know about this?
Here is a detailed story by Russo how he became involved in the writing process what later made him the head writer because McMahon realized how much Russo's ideas contributed to the product in a positive way.

27:20-40:00

·
Banned
1,065 Posts
Here is a detailed story by Russo how he became involved in the writing process what later made him the head writer because McMahon realized how much Russo's ideas contributed to the product in a positive way.

27:20-40:00

Thanks a lot for this. I've always liked Russo. His WCW/TNA stints are irrelevant. He came up with the right kind of wrestling at the right time and Vince could probably find other people like that within his company.

The fluke nature it required (Bill Watts not space available on the booker floor) shows you how poor Vince's office culture is. After this experience, he should be asking "who's my new Russo?" every three years or so.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Vince Russo proved already as Vic Venom in WWF magazines that he should take credit for this era. When we watched the absolute crappy childish characters in 94 & 95 and when WWE was in such a bad state Russo wrote Attitude Era style articles full of shoots and portraying heels as the cool guys.
Read a WWF magazine from 1995 and you think you read a magazine from 1998 and that it was already the Attitude Era. No wonder Vince McMahon wanted the shows looking like in a magazine and that he wanted it's writer in the writing team.
The magazine was one of the best things about the company at the time. Except for that Scoop Sullivan comic, I hated that even as a kid.

As far as the video, I forgot how much of a goofball Todd Pettingill was. Russo called it though, HBK the champ at the end of '97.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Most calls were staged to avoid idiots calling, Remember the LiveWire episode when of all people calling Paul Heyman was the one who made it on the show when he first introduced himself as some fan?
The call was staged to to talk about the term "Attitude" and introduce a more edgier style. (during this period we already had Austin 3:16, Mankind & Pillman debuting, Jim Ross shooting on WWE and the formation of Nation of Domination.

Watching Russo's rare WWE appearances makes me think how sad it is that Vic Venom was never featured in any storylines on WWE TV. He would make a great Attitude Era character
He would be great in Attitude Era as a heel manager

1 - 15 of 15 Posts