Wrestling Forum banner

121 - 140 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
So he blabs on about how Piper and Perfect weren't ever WWE Champions. Shouldn't that be telling of how shitty wrestling was back in the day, that some of the most talented folks weren't booked to take the title? Which, btw, some of them did it by their own choice. It's not Owens' fault or problem that those legends were never champions.
Uh, no, just no. The fact guys like Piper, Perfect, Dibiase, Jake, Rude and Orndorff never won the title was because back in the day we had true superstars as world champion - Hogan, Savage, Warrior, Flair and Bret. There was so much depth and star power that only the absolute elite could be world champ unlike today when a 5'9 KFC addict who's never stepped foot in a gym is world champ (or what passes for a world champ because of the brand split).

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Re: Vic Venom: David Arquette was more over than Kevin Owens

Also I want to add for the guy's saying "Who?" about Vince Russo, pretty much that is the response you would get if you walked up to people in the street and said "Owens is the new world champ" lol.
This angle is moot, because the average American hasn't given a single damn about pro wrestling since Austin turned heel and Rock left to film 'The Scorpion King.' More than asking who Owens is, they'd be a lot more likely to call you a geek for watching grown men pretend fighting in 2016. The majority of your neighbors have no idea who the fuck Roman Reigns, Seth Rollins, Bray Wyatt, AJ Styles or Dean Ambrose are, so making it sound like anyone is popular outside of the confines of the WWE bubble is retarded and doesn't -- at all -- give any merit to your bogus argument that I can guarantee also applies to your guy if he's anyone other than Dwayne Johnson, Kane, HHH, Taker, Brock Lesnar, or John Cena.

·
Registered
8,189 Posts

This angle is moot, because the average American hasn't given a single damn about pro wrestling since Austin turned heel and Rock left to film 'The Scorpion King.' More than asking who Owens is, they'd be a lot more likely to call you a geek for watching grown men pretend fighting in 2016. The majority of your neighbors have no idea who the fuck Roman Reigns, Seth Rollins, Bray Wyatt, AJ Styles or Dean Ambrose are, so making it sound like anyone is popular outside of the confines of the WWE bubble is retarded and doesn't -- at all -- give any merit to your bogus argument that I can guarantee also applies to your guy if he's anyone other than Dwayne Johnson, Kane, HHH, Taker, Brock Lesnar, or John Cena.
That would be true, minus the fact that when Russo was the head booker, the show was far more popular. No debating here. Russo wasn't an on screen star but he helped the on screen stars at the time. I know a lot of you guy's will ignore this but he probably knows far more about what he's talking about than the rest of us.

The fact that the other guy's on the roster are also no names doesn't somehow make it ok that Kevin Owens is as well. I'm merely pointing out the hypocrisy in this whole "who?" thing in regards to Russo because it applies to Owens as well lol. The merit in my argument stands.

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
Oh gawd, come on Shala, why don't you state what part of my statement is wrong?

Owens is a lame lol, you are probably aware of this but your fetish for seeing ROH guy's get pushes justifies your hypocrisy in supporting him.

·
Banned
677 Posts
I don't buy this guy as champ. He doesn't have the size. Look at him in the pic next to Trips....when did being a big guy become such a bane to the fanbase? Do people really want to see a neckbeard fatass as champion?

·
Registered
807 Posts

Russo has a point when it comes to the whole 'being over' thing. Owens isn't over. Daniel Bryan was over. CM Punk was over. There's a difference.

Seems to be a recurring theme nowadays to put the title on guys before they're actually ready and/or over. Reigns wasn't ready, nor was Balor, nor was Rollins and now it's Owens.
Add guys like Jack Swagger, Del Rio, Sheamus and Ziggler to the list of guys that they've thrown the belt on way too prematurely

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
Why does he have to turn everything into a way to defend his horrible booking decisions? We are all human. We all fuck up. He wouldn't be as much of a joke in the eyes of so many of he would just own his mistakes and say he fucked up. Comparing KO to Arquette might be an all time low for him though.

I actually don't disagree with him at all about the comparison of the depth of the roster of the 80's to now. Any of those guys he named would be a champion now. The problem is that the guys he's criticizing is in their league talent wise. KO is just as well rounded as any of them. More in some cases. If this was Cesaro we were talking about that had just won the title I'd be right there with Russo.

·
Banned
14,424 Posts
Uh, no, just no. The fact guys like Piper, Perfect, Dibiase, Jake, Rude and Orndorff never won the title was because back in the day we had true superstars as world champion - Hogan, Savage, Warrior, Flair and Bret. There was so much depth and star power that only the absolute elite could be world champ unlike today when a 5'9 KFC addict who's never stepped foot in a gym is world champ (or what passes for a world champ because of the brand split).
Yeah, when people try throwing names out like that it always makes me laugh because they're not taking into account the context of these guys eras. They were working with some of the biggest stars EVER, who consistently filled arenas, which is something guys like Perfect, Rude, or Dibase, as awesome as they were, probably wouldn't be able to do.

Being champion means literally nothing. Sheamus is a multi-time WWE champ, Jack Swagger is a former champ, who gives a fucking shit? It's a scripted championship win. Being a true legend transcends stupid shit like that.

I don't see why Russo tries namedropping them (when most of those guys aren't his era, and would have been RUINED working for him), when this is the era where fucking everybody wins the title. But somehow it's "above" the likes of Kevin Owens or Dean Ambrose.

·
Asuka
96,550 Posts
You just dont understand it, don't you.

Bray Wyatt looks like a star, despite being fat, he carries himself as a dark, dangerous, badass cult leader who could actually murder you if you give him the back.

And there is Kevin Owens, a guy who is small, fat and looks like a guy 90% of the IWC, he is supossed to be a fighter, but actually won't fucking win a fight against anyone.

I assure you, if anyone gets Bray Wyatt, it's me. You won't find a bigger fan of his anywhere on this site. Everything you said about him is true, but regardless, there's nothing about the character that makes being fat part of his gimmick. If he were thin, absolutely nothing about the character or his appeal would change.

Owens might not have much height, but I don't agree. He looks like an old school brawler.

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
Do you all think Kevin owens has his lips up trips backside.

The better question is, does it even matter? I don't think KENTA is gonna be winning any world titles in WWE, if I had to bet on it. The show is still booked by Vince and if Vince doesn't want to do it, it's not happening no matter what Triple H says.

Why should he win the title?

·
Registered
16,455 Posts
I love when Vince Russo goes off on one, its like watching a drunk tell everyone how he was on top of the world and still knows how to run it.... Even though he is wrong he is a joy to listen to... bro! :p

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
I mean does it really matter at this point? The whole larger than life concept is gone. It's not coming back. The average looking guys and acrobatic geeks are here to stay.

I'm alright with Owens winning that match. KO is no face of the company because of it. He isn't going on talk shows or in movies and rightfully so. Though at least he's entertaining and puts on good matches. Unlike smackdowns geek champion.

·
Banned
6,190 Posts
I have a certain level of liking and appreciation for Kevin Owens, but he's on the money. Take away the general Russo-ism and he's got a very valid point. WWE needs big stars, and while Owens definitely deserves a spot high up on the card, he's just not going to have the kind of mainstream appeal someone like Cena's got and probably isn't going to be drawing in new fans by himself.

·
Since Day One
9,874 Posts
I have a certain level of liking and appreciation for Kevin Owens, but he's on the money. Take away the general Russo-ism and he's got a very valid point. WWE needs big stars, and while Owens definitely deserves a spot high up on the card, he's just not going to have the kind of mainstream appeal someone like Cena's got and probably isn't going to be drawing in new fans by himself.
Well then, there's always John Cena and Brock Lesnar. Those are your only two real options when it comes to "big stars" right now and the funny thing, SD just got their highest rating in forever last week and no Cena was advertised for the show. Point is, you either book people with potential to be big time in an experimental phase and hope for the best or you deny them an opportunity for proven names and put yourself back further in the hole once they're all retired. You can always do both but people like Russo seem to have no patience for a mixed approach.

·
Banned
6,190 Posts
Well then, there's always John Cena and Brock Lesnar. Those are your only two real options when it comes to "big stars" right now and the funny thing, SD just got their highest rating in forever last week and no Cena was advertised for the show. Point is, you either book people with potential to be big time in an experimental phase and hope for the best or you deny them an opportunity for proven names and put yourself back further in the hole once they're all retired. You can always do both but people like Russo seem to have no patience for a mixed approach.
Yeah, true. I'm hoping they make the most of Owens' run, since I've been waiting for him to get into the title picture for a while now. Sadly the track record of championship flops these past few years (Del Rio, Ziggler, Sheamus etc) has me feeling a bit uninspired as far as that goes though.
I think the big issue on that is that Vince is still of that mindset that the belt is what makes stars. Slap it around a guy's waist and he'll get over. I see it as more of a spotlight: Shine it on a guy and either he'll put on a show or he'll get stage fright and pee his pants.

·
Banned
1,269 Posts
I assure you, if anyone gets Bray Wyatt, it's me. You won't find a bigger fan of his anywhere on this site. Everything you said about him is true, but regardless, there's nothing about the character that makes being fat part of his gimmick. If he were thin, absolutely nothing about the character or his appeal would change.

Owens might not have much height, but I don't agree. He looks like an old school brawler.
It's not about being fat, it's about being big, if Bray was as skinny as Samy Zain or as a small as Fin Balor he probably wouldn't be so scary.

Owens rather looks like a Kinder bully that would get his ass beaten by a bigger kid than any kind of street fighter, sadly he being so small is a problem, his lack of size wouldnt matter he was ripped or didn't have that big belly.

121 - 140 of 171 Posts