Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
The face that runs the List
10,663 Posts
Re: VENOM 2 (TBA)

Venom was terrible but the two Amazing Spider-Man movies were worse.

Raimi's trilogy got old, especially the first one, but the sequel is still GOAT comic book movie.

Homecoming was pleasant. It really lacked action scenes and the few that were in were horribly shot.

Again, just sell Spidey and his friends to Marvel.

·
Mamba Mentality
26,073 Posts

andyserkis said:
It’s actually happening. I can feel it, the Symbiote has found a host in me, and I’m ready for the ride...Can’t wait! Are you ready @tomhardy ?
#venom #venom2 #marvel
Andy Serkis Closes Deal to Direct 'Venom 2'

The actor-turned-filmmaker will be tackling his first comic book movie as director.
Andy Serkis is officially stepping into Venom's goo.

The filmmaker has closed a deal to direct Venom 2, Sony's sequel to the 2018 film that grossed $856 million at the global box office. The sequel, part of the company's stable of Spider-Man related and Marvel-centric characters, will once again star Tom Hardy as the journalist who joins with an alien symbiote.

Serkis flew to Los Angeles the week of July 22 to meet with Sony brass on the project, and was one of several filmmakers in the mix for the job. This will be Serkis' third directorial effort, after the 2017 drama Breathe and last year's non-Disney take on the Rudyard Kipling stories, Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle, which ended up on Netflix after being made at Warner Bros.

Serkis rose to fame for his motion capture and performance capture acting work as Gollum in Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy from 2002 to 2004. He cut his teeth with second unit directing by reteaming with Jackson for The Hobbit trilogy (2012-14). He played the villain Snoke in the recent Star Wars films, as well as bad guy Klaw in Marvel Studios' Black Panther. His expertise with CG and performance capture technology is one of the factors that landed him the Venom 2 gig.

Sony had no comment.

Kelly Marcel wrote the script for Venom 2. Ruben Fleischer helmed 2018's Venom, which starred Michelle Williams and featured a last-minute cameo by Woody Harrelson as chief Venom villain Cletus Kasady, aka Carnage. Serkis previously worked with Harrelson on 2017's War for the Planet of the Apes.

Shortly after the news broke, Serkis shared a post on his verified Instagram account.

"Verified It’s actually happening. I can feel it, the Symbiote has found a host in me, and I’m ready for the ride...Can’t wait," he wrote.

Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/venom-2-andy-serkis-direct-1228724
Precious

·
Asuka
96,550 Posts
The question is, can Andy Serkis actually direct a good movie? He's only directed 2 movies and his highest rating is 67% RT, that's not very good. I feel like this has more to do with ensuring the visual effects will be top of the line than it has to do with bringing in a director who can direct.

It also makes me wonder if we're closer to that rumored MCU crossover, given Andy Serkis's ties with Marvel Studios.

·
Mamba Mentality
26,073 Posts
Serkis ? This is random as fuck.
Not so random considering the visual effects and motion capture expertise Andy Serkis will bring to the film. Serkis' recent interviews tells me he's got grandeur ambitions then just making another 'fun' Venom movie. We may have a true marvel (pun-intended) to behold on the big screen. I can only imagine how stunning the symbiotes Venom and Carnage will be when fully realized by Serkis.

Tom Hardy is also heavily involved with screenwriting this time. Which, given how Hardy's improvisations helped create the best parts of the 1st movie, I'm a bit more hopeful for improvement in that area as well. And really, a major key to making an entertaining Venom 2 is just turning Hardy loose with his character(s) Eddie Brock & Venom.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
The first Venom movie was not terrible. It was just average. It was a decent film I kinda enjoyed it. They have a lot to improve upon but the potential is there for a really good movie.

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
I still don't know why are they wasting Venom separating him from his Spider-man related origins and making him a non-MCU character separated of everything else.
Seconded. Venom has no reason to even look like Venom without having been on Spider-Man first. It's disappointing that whatever deal Marvel and Sony made even allows for this to happen.

·
Mamba Mentality
26,073 Posts
Naomie Harris is in talks to play the villain Shriek in Venom 2

Naomi Harris is in talks to portray the sonic-powered villain Shriek in the upcoming sequel to Venom, which returns Tom Hardy in the title role and features Woody Harrelson as the fan-favorite bad guy called Carnage.

Shriek has been closely associated with Carnage in the pages of Marvel Comics since her introduction in Spider-Man Unlimited No. 1 (May 1993) as part of the “Maximum Carnage” saga. Deadline broke the news about the villain joining the sequel and making her first live-action screen appearance.

The second Venom is due in theaters on Oct. 2, 2020. Sources close to the production confirmed the advanced discussions with Harris, which was reported first by Daily Variety. Sony declined comment on casting process.

Harris is starring in the upcoming thriller Black and Blue (opening Oct. 25) and co-stars next spring in the 25th installment of the Jame Bond franchise. She working now on The Third Day with Jude Law.

The as-yet untitled Venom sequel is being produced by Avi Arad, Matt Tolmach, Amy Pascal, and Hutch Parker. Andy Serkis directs.

The first film was a surprise sensation last October despite the pounding it took from critics. The $100 million production piled up $856 million in global box office, which includes the film’s lush $111 million opening weekend in China, which now stands as the all-time strongest debut for a Sony release in the coveted market.

Source: https://deadline.com/2019/10/venom-2-naomi-harris-in-talks-for-shriek-role-in-sony-sequel-1202764185/?fbclid=IwAR1ejKxtBX18vr6brwubm2gs-2hyobOT9s8w8x7QdkBKZ6O586HWpDqmSbk

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
The only way to get me hyped for this movie is if Spider-Man is in it.

Venom was one of the most pointless CBMs I’ve ever seen.
It bothers me more than anything. A MCU character getting involved in this mess is worrying. Specially since, as I shall remember every single time, the iconic Peter Parker/symbiote/Eddie Brock storyline cannot be recreated with this Venom. They should just reboot Venom. His first movie wasn't even good.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
It bothers me more than anything. A MCU character getting involved in this mess is worrying. Specially since, as I shall remember every single time, the iconic Peter Parker/symbiote/Eddie Brock storyline cannot be recreated with this Venom. They should just reboot Venom. His first movie wasn't even good.
I would've just recast or brought back Andrew Garfield.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Can't deny want Spiderman and Venom in the same movie. However, it shouldn't be at the expense of the Marvel universe that has been built.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I would've just recast or brought back Andrew Garfield.
I have to admit Tom Hardy's Eddie Brock and Andrew Garfield's Peter Parker would fit nicely together. That's not a compliment though. Both are uninteresting messes.

Someone here thinks Venom was a compelling movie aside from the inherent coolness of watching a live action Venom? I mean, somebody feels the story and characters were actually good? I think the only character I liked was the good scientist. After watching it I felt no desire to watch that Eddie Brock never again, despite Tom Hardy doing what he can in order to give some charisma to his character.

You know, I may be a MCU mark, but I can appreciate and enjoy good films like Logan, Deadpool or Spider-man 2. Venom was really mediocre. I watched it with low spectations and still was like "Woah, this did 856 M $? It's one of the most forgettable films I've watched in a long time".

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I have to admit Tom Hardy's Eddie Brock and Andrew Garfield's Peter Parker would fit nicely together. That's not a compliment though. Both are uninteresting messes.

Someone here thinks Venom was a compelling movie aside from the inherent coolness of watching a live action Venom? I mean, somebody feels the story and characters were actually good? I think the only character I liked was the good scientist. After watching it I felt no desire to watch that Eddie Brock never again, despite Tom Hardy doing what he can in order to give some charisma to his character.

You know, I may be a MCU mark, but I can appreciate and enjoy good films like Logan, Deadpool or Spider-man 2. Venom was really mediocre. I watched it with low spectations and still was like "Woah, this did 856 M $? It's one of the most forgettable films I've watched in a long time".
I think the disappointment of Spider-Man 3 is what helped Venom make as much as it did. Despite the fact that Spider-Man 3 is a way better film.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts