Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not one to usually complain about the quality of matches, but last nights velvet sky and sarita match was just awful. besides forgetting her ques like 4 times, what was with the 40 chops she gave to sarita? i wish the mics were louder so we could hear what they were saying while they were in the corner for 5 minutes. i understand why they have her on so much (since she is a friggin beautiful) but sky should just limit herself to angelinas manager before she makes the KO's look any worse.

·
Registered
799 Posts
All I kept thinking was about how many sex positions that I want to do Sarita in.. thats how bad the match was I guess

·
Chris Jericho > You
1,575 Posts
It just goes to show that Velvet cannot wrestle and she is certainly not improving. She has been wrestling for a long time, I don't see how she is still at this "beginner's" stage. She is awful in the ring and if she doesn't learn how to wrestle better soon, she will never make it as a solo competitor. Besides Lacey Von Erich, she is the weakest knockout in TNA right now.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Velvet isn't a good wrestler. But people like her, she is one of the few TNA-branded talents with air time left and she is putting over other Knockouts for years.

I'd really wish you would turn into an at least decent performer (who can carry herself through a match without damaging the flow), but I understand why they don't reduce her to ringside talent.

All I kept thinking was about how many sex positions that I want to do Sarita in.. thats how bad the match was I guess
As if those thoughts depended on the match quality...

·
Banned
8,557 Posts
Velvet is clearly a worse wrestler than the divas on NXT

People only like her for the same reason people like the likes of Eve, Kelly and Maryse.

She is way too clumsy and sloppy as hell, Sarita had to go in HBK mode(overselling) when Velvet was on the offense.

I agree that Velvet should become a valet.

·
Registered
58 Posts
They obviously didn't prepare this match well enough.
But I love to watch those two because they're damn hot, so I won't complain.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Yeah, the match wasn't very good but after watching so many divas in WWE wrestle , I thought it was a decent match. Velvet may not be very skillfull but atleast she is trying to wrestle, she has no problems taking bumps, Sarita was not the right choice for her to wrestle though, she is far too fast for her. She needs more of a brawling style diva , some one like Tara.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
It just goes to show that Velvet cannot wrestle and she is certainly not improving. She has been wrestling for a long time, I don't see how she is still at this "beginner's" stage. She is awful in the ring and if she doesn't learn how to wrestle better soon, she will never make it as a solo competitor. Besides Lacey Von Erich, she is the weakest knockout in TNA right now.
What's making it as a women's wrestler? She's probably never going to WWE, and if she ever does get lucky like that they would probably snag both the beautiful people. Until Mickie came in , she was arguably their biggest female star, even if she never wrestles. She gets more face time and mic time than just about any knockout, and does a lot of the side stuff like photoshoots and interviews etc. I bet she gets paid pretty damn well compared to most of the other girls.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I hate to burst everyone's bubble but it isn't always the job of a wrestler to be a good wrestler. This is an entertainment business, even when it was about being a wrassler. Good lucks and the ability to connect and sell to the audience has always been a large reason why a talent got over. Being able to perform in the ring is just icing on the cake.

Sarita can do a lot of fantastic things inside the ring but she can't cut a promo, therefore she's hit her ceiling in terms of being over until she finds a voice. Velvet, on the other hand, is always going to have a chance to grow her popularity because she can talk, has a fantastic rack, and knows how to connect with the audience--both live and at home.

Velvet's never been good in the ring but she can sell and she can connect. That's her job. There's something to be said about being just a good seller and though I haven't watched the match (and won't), I know Velvet's always been good at selling (not the best, but passable) and that's part of her appeal to those who like her.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hate to burst everyone's bubble but it isn't always the job of a wrestler to be a good wrestler. This is an entertainment business, even when it was about being a wrassler. Good lucks and the ability to connect and sell to the audience has always been a large reason why a talent got over. Being able to perform in the ring is just icing on the cake.

Sarita can do a lot of fantastic things inside the ring but she can't cut a promo, therefore she's hit her ceiling in terms of being over until she finds a voice. Velvet, on the other hand, is always going to have a chance to grow her popularity because she can talk, has a fantastic rack, and knows how to connect with the audience--both live and at home.

Velvet's never been good in the ring but she can sell and she can connect. That's her job. There's something to be said about being just a good seller and though I haven't watched the match (and won't), I know Velvet's always been good at selling (not the best, but passable) and that's part of her appeal to those who like her.

it isnt always the job of a wrestler to be good at wrestling? i must be on another planet. maybe they should stick to being a valet like i suggested? and isnt that not being a wrestler? sunny did a great job as a valet and she never got in the ring, know why? couldnt wrestle. did they call her a wrestler? nope. and you stateing all this shit about selling moves, you didnt even watch the match, so by your thought process, kevin nash did a stand up job selling that fingerpoke of doom right? :no:

my point is that i enjoy velvets non-ring work, but makes me dislike her when i see her perform, so it makes me less interested in her charecter. so why would she want to damage the charecter she is getting payed for if it could loose her fans? so as i stated, she should stick to a valet role.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
if you had a meal on your plate would you ignore a turd on the side of your mash potatoes or would you just eat around it? personally i would complain. and isnt that what this place is for anyway?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Yeah, well you know the best male superstar in pro wrestling Hulk Hogan himself has always been sloppy and slow in the ring, nowadays John Cena-the most popular active wrestler himself is just mediocre in the ring, so why do you need to care so much about Velvet Sky - she is limited in the ring but I wouldn't call her horrible, come on - she does good job at selling, she has decent brawling skills, she is not very athletic, but good enough to put believable match.

·
Registered
701 Posts
it isnt always the job of a wrestler to be good at wrestling? i must be on another planet. maybe they should stick to being a valet like i suggested? and isnt that not being a wrestler? sunny did a great job as a valet and she never got in the ring, know why? couldnt wrestle. did they call her a wrestler? nope. and you stateing all this shit about selling moves, you didnt even watch the match, so by your thought process, kevin nash did a stand up job selling that fingerpoke of doom right? :no:

my point is that i enjoy velvets non-ring work, but makes me dislike her when i see her perform, so it makes me less interested in her charecter. so why would she want to damage the charecter she is getting payed for if it could loose her fans? so as i stated, she should stick to a valet role.
Valets don't do anything in wrestling anymore. It's not 1991. Sunny was the last valet of substance and an anomaly.

Name me the biggest names in wrestling in the past 25 years? Hogan, Taker, Cena, The Rock, Austin, HHH, Flair. Out of those individuals, I date say two of them (Flair, Austin) were consistently good in the ring. The rest have had some great matches but most of the time, their job was to draw the crowd into a match rather than go out and chain wrestle for 20 minutes. You want that, go watch CHIKARA, ROH, Dragon Gate, and the host of delusional indies that emulate that style. I love good wrestling but it doesn't make money.

Wrestling is about the personality. Look who's over in TNA: Jeff Hardy, Mr. Anderson, and The Pope (AJ and Joe, who can wrestler, are second tier in the pecking order). They've had their share of good matches but none of them are great in the ring. Hardy is the new RVD in terms of botchmania, Anderson has good matches with great wrestlers (Angle), and Pope is akin to the Rock in that his job is to make the crowd love him or hate him to the point that they just care that he gets the pin or is pinned.

I base my selling comment on past Velvet matches. My statement was that in the past, she's been good at selling and it's an important factor in wrestling. I didn't see the Sarita match but going on Velvet's history, I figure she did her job of selling whatever story and whatever offense she was supposed to get over. Was she after revenge and get it? Was she out to prove herself and do so or fall short? Did she get that point across with her actions? In the past, despite her limitations in the ring, she has. I imagine against Sarita, she likely did again.

·
Registered
12,449 Posts
Velvet is clearly a worse wrestler than the divas on NXT

People only like her for the same reason people like the likes of Eve, Kelly and Maryse.

She is way too clumsy and sloppy as hell, Sarita had to go in HBK mode(overselling) when Velvet was on the offense.

I agree that Velvet should become a valet.
Is your sole purpose in life to bash anything TNA? Are you that big of a nut hugger from the WWE to just go out of your way on an internet forum to bash them any chance you get? Sad really

·
Chris Jericho > You
1,575 Posts
What's making it as a women's wrestler? She's probably never going to WWE, and if she ever does get lucky like that they would probably snag both the beautiful people. Until Mickie came in , she was arguably their biggest female star, even if she never wrestles. She gets more face time and mic time than just about any knockout, and does a lot of the side stuff like photoshoots and interviews etc. I bet she gets paid pretty damn well compared to most of the other girls.
It doesn't matter if she's going to the WWE or not. If she did, she wouldn't need to wrestle anyway. The WWE doesn't care much about women's wrestling. However, TNA has been known to care about women's wrestling and if they're going to put her in matches against wrestles likE Sarita then yes, she should learn how to wrestle. It's ridiculous that every KO in that company can wrestle ten times better than she does when she has been training for such a long time. Yes, Velvet is a good looking girl BUT she fails at wrestling. As a fan of women's wrestling, I rather not see her in the ring again until she improves.

Well, they shouldn't place such an importance emphasis on the KO division if the women are not required to wrestle. I thought the purpose of the KO division was to have female wrestlers, not just eye candy. I'm not saying she's the most dreadful female wrestler I have ever seen; however after being in a business where female wrestling is respected (from the fans anyway), she should have improved by now.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Valets don't do anything in wrestling anymore. It's not 1991. Sunny was the last valet of substance and an anomaly.

Name me the biggest names in wrestling in the past 25 years? Hogan, Taker, Cena, The Rock, Austin, HHH, Flair. Out of those individuals, I date say two of them (Flair, Austin) were consistently good in the ring. The rest have had some great matches but most of the time, their job was to draw the crowd into a match rather than go out and chain wrestle for 20 minutes. You want that, go watch CHIKARA, ROH, Dragon Gate, and the host of delusional indies that emulate that style. I love good wrestling but it doesn't make money.

Wrestling is about the personality. Look who's over in TNA: Jeff Hardy, Mr. Anderson, and The Pope (AJ and Joe, who can wrestler, are second tier in the pecking order). They've had their share of good matches but none of them are great in the ring. Hardy is the new RVD in terms of botchmania, Anderson has good matches with great wrestlers (Angle), and Pope is akin to the Rock in that his job is to make the crowd love him or hate him to the point that they just care that he gets the pin or is pinned.

I base my selling comment on past Velvet matches. My statement was that in the past, she's been good at selling and it's an important factor in wrestling. I didn't see the Sarita match but going on Velvet's history, I figure she did her job of selling whatever story and whatever offense she was supposed to get over. Was she after revenge and get it? Was she out to prove herself and do so or fall short? Did she get that point across with her actions? In the past, despite her limitations in the ring, she has. I imagine against Sarita, she likely did again.
First of all, practically everyone of the superstars you names aside from Hogan and Rock could put on a good match given a decent guy to work with. There is a fundamental difference between being a mediocre wrestler and putting out mediocre performances. Velvet largely can't pull out a decent performance in 5-6 minutes so don't put her in a match on ****ing TV.

Secondly, the biggest draws not being exceptional wrestlers for a large part is NOT an excuse to have little quality wrestling on a televised wrestling program. These draws not only have charisma, character, and mic work behind them, but also heavy creative investment behind them from the bookers and writers; they can afford to have less quality wrestling performances given they have other facets to entertain the crowd with. Midcarders don't have this excuse as not only are midcard performances are inherently more expendable television filler, but good mic skills and character/personality contrary to IWC belief do NOT serve midcarders as well as main eventers because those skills require to be placed in a greater context (important storylines) to be truly effective tools in getting guys over.

Now if you want a show entirely devoted to main eventers and have few midcarders actually on the show beyond jobbing, then you might actually have a point.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts