Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Partial Source: Pwinsider

Later this year, former ECW Producer Steve Karel is set to launch a new wrestling company, The Urban Wrestling Federation. The concept is said to mix hardcore, gritty pro wrestling with hip hop music and culture, or as one person explained the concept, "ECW meets Urban Underground."

In the last few years, Steve Karel has been distributing numerous PPV projects, including King of the Cage MMA, WEW Women's Wrestling and Extreme Wrestlers (matches featuring former ECW talents on the independent circuit). Word is that he has deals cleared with several PPV carriers and is currently in the early stages of negotiations with a national cable outlet.

The company has already launched a website, which you can check out at http://www.urbanwrestlingfederation.com/

·
HEADBANGA
24,340 Posts
I'll be keeping an eye on this. If I'm not mistaken it seems to be an NY promotion so I'll be looking forward to it.

·
Registered
12,013 Posts
Seems cool, he knows how to get his stuff on ppv. Which is crazy, because a lot of people struggle. I still think Big Japan would do extremely well for a small indy on US PPV. I know people hate deathmatches but there is an audience for it just like the mtv jackass stuff.

·
Registered
12,013 Posts
Talent

Homicide (former TNA wrestler)
Claude Marrow (wrestler)
Wil Maximo (wrestler) / Tag Team SAT'S
Joel Maximo (wrestler) / Tag Team SAT'S
Murder 1 (wrestler)
Slyck Wagner Brown (wrestler)
Brian XL (wrestler)
Rasche Brown (former ROH wrestler)
Ricky Ortiz (former WWE wrestler)
EC ***** (wrestler) / Tag Team Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
KC Blade (wrestler) / Tag Team Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
Scorpio Sky (wrestler)
Bestia 666 (wrestler)
Eddie Carnage (wrestler)
Dope (wrestler) / Tag Team The Ghetto Mafia
Qenaan Creed (wrestler) / Tag Team The Ghetto Mafia
Grim Reefer (wrestler)
Sonjay Dutt (Former CZW, TNA Wrestler)
Eddie Kingston (wrestler)
Damien Slugga (wrestler)
Lance Lude (wrestler)
Famous B (wrestler)
Red Cafe (Rapper) Bad Boy Artist
Russell "Big Block" Spencer (Rapper)
Uncle Murda (Rapper)
Grandmaster Melle Mel (Rapper) Rock N Roll Hall of Fame member
Brisco (Rapper) Cash Money Artist
Billy Blue (Rapper)
Gun Play (Rapper)
Gorilla Zoe (Rapper) Former Bad Boy artist

I'm more interested in the production and presentation of this show. Can't wait too see how it plays out.

·
the king stay the king.
4,542 Posts
Talent

Homicide (former TNA wrestler)
Claude Marrow (wrestler)
Wil Maximo (wrestler) / Tag Team SAT'S
Joel Maximo (wrestler) / Tag Team SAT'S
Murder 1 (wrestler)
Slyck Wagner Brown (wrestler)
Brian XL (wrestler)
Rasche Brown (former ROH wrestler)
Ricky Ortiz (former WWE wrestler)
EC ***** (wrestler) / Tag Team Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
KC Blade (wrestler) / Tag Team Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
Scorpio Sky (wrestler)
Bestia 666 (wrestler)
Eddie Carnage (wrestler)
Dope (wrestler) / Tag Team The Ghetto Mafia
Qenaan Creed (wrestler) / Tag Team The Ghetto Mafia
Grim Reefer (wrestler)
Sonjay Dutt (Former CZW, TNA Wrestler)
Eddie Kingston (wrestler)
Damien Slugga (wrestler)
Lance Lude (wrestler)
Famous B (wrestler)
Red Cafe (Rapper) Bad Boy Artist
Russell "Big Block" Spencer (Rapper)
Uncle Murda (Rapper)
Grandmaster Melle Mel (Rapper) Rock N Roll Hall of Fame member
Brisco (Rapper) Cash Money Artist
Billy Blue (Rapper)
Gun Play (Rapper)
Gorilla Zoe (Rapper) Former Bad Boy artist

I'm more interested in the production and presentation of this show. Can't wait too see how it plays out.

SATs, Homicide, Eddie Kingston, Sonjay Dutt & Brian XL the picks of the bunch.
Could be interesting/

·
HEADBANGA
24,340 Posts
Just saw the promo vid on their website and I have to say It seems to be very different from anything I've ever seen. Shit poppin' off in the club! :lmao

·
Masonic!
1,547 Posts
Yeah, that promo video made it seem like "DefJam Vendetta".

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
Stupid name.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Stupid name.
The name IS rather stupid and I'm not sure about the whole urban rap theme (especially Gorilla Zoe :no:,) but I'll give them credit for trying something different. There's definitely some solid wrestlers on the card though, so I think it's worth giving them a chance.

·
also known as a BUSTER
12,019 Posts
I saw the promos for this a while back. They're cringeworthy.

Somehow they've managed to get a decent roster together though and judging by the kind of talent that they have definitely have a particular vision in mind.

Could be worse.

·
Registered
12,013 Posts
Looking at the roster, they actual have a good roster.I'm just glad someone doing this idea. Rock and Roll been so synonymous with wrestling for so long, it's time for a hip hop/wrestling marriage.Nash,Xpac,Hall,Konnan used to always used to try to add some urban undertones to the mix during the NWO days. Then of course John Cena is still doing his thing(in a corny way) and try to blend urban culture with wrestling.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Weird.

Reactions: SHIRLEY

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Well, WSX kind of tried to mix wrestling with the urban culture on MTV, but I don't think that was their problem. Plus Big Vision Entertainment has basically been a dormant volcano for a year now.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'll be keeping my eye on this, it seems like everyone is trying to carve a niche in the wrestling market by being gimmicky however this could work, I don't know how the masses will react to it considering Hip Hop isn't the most popular thing in upper class America, kind of like Pro Wrestling (barring WWE) to be honest.

·
WF's Real Bad Guy
1,938 Posts
Just saw the promo vid on their website and I have to say It seems to be very different from anything I've ever seen. Shit poppin' off in the club! :lmao
I seen that video,didn't somebody do a moonsault off the second level/V.I.P lol

I saw the promos for this a while back. They're cringeworthy.

Somehow they've managed to get a decent roster together though and judging by the kind of talent that they have definitely have a particular vision in mind.

Could be worse.
Yeah the promo vids could use a little work especially this one....
:no:

I can't lie though, I'm gonna check this out. It amazes me that they didn't get Dipset/Cam'ron though their group and swag would be perfect for this promotion.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
I seen that video,didn't somebody do a moonsault off the second level/V.I.P lol

Yeah the promo vids could use a little work especially this one....
:no:

I can't lie though, I'm gonna check this out. It amazes me that they didn't get Dipset/Cam'ron though their group and swag would be perfect for this promotion.
Damn I could've dealt with Cam'ron, but Gorilla Zoe sucks. I guess Wrestling Society X wasn't just rap, but the guys they had were solid (I think Styles P was on there and so was Clipse.) But then again it's been so long since that show's aired I really don't remember too much.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts