Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

The Scott Levy (Raven)/Marcus Bagwell lawsuit against WWE, claiming that talent should be paid royalties for WWE Network appearances, was slightly amended. The basics of the suit is the plaintiff argument they deserve royalties while WWE claiming that its contracts state performers are allowed royalties from things that are direct sales to the consumers, such as purchasing a PPV, merchandise, videotape, etc., but that the network does not fall into that category. Levy is arguing that his contract stated WWE would pay royalties on “video cassettes, videodiscs, CD Rom or other technology, including technology not yet created.” He’s claiming that streaming technology falls under that umbrella. WWE is arguing that there is no physical product being sold to a consumer, and it’s only the company granting a license to watch material if they have an active subscription. That becomes because PPV, where they have historically paid royalties, is similar in scope, not a physical product but a license to watch material if you order it. Levy is suing claiming the royalty rate for talent on DVD’s or PPVs should be used to calculate royalties talent deserves when appearing on the network

·
Registered
588 Posts
That tech in Raven's contract is physical, it can refer to DVDs, Blu-Rays, but the network is a different thing. Streaming is an alternative to TV not physical devices.

Reactions: zrc

·
Premium Member
5,302 Posts
Yeah they actually have a case here. The whole, they shouldn't have to pay royalties because its not selling an actual product is bullshit because PPV's work in the same way and they still pay royalties for them. And ethically, WWE not paying them for it is pretty much wrong since the appeal of the network is based on their work.

·
Registered
17,523 Posts
Channel 4 could put Lord of the Rings on over the weekend. Does that mean Ian McKellen should get royalties because it was shown? I don't think so.

·
Registered
17,523 Posts
Fun fact: WWE hasn't paid any former ECW wrestlers royalties from use of the company's footage.

- Vic
They bought the tapes. The ECW wrestlers got paid by Heyman/ECW already (or probably not). If they had a contract with the E then they already got paid for work done for them.

I don't go to work and expect to be paid twice for the same days work.

·
Premium Member
5,302 Posts
They bought the tapes. The ECW wrestlers got paid by Heyman/ECW already (or probably not). If they had a contract with the E then they already got paid for work done for them.

I'm pretty sure with Royalties, you get paid constantly. Transferring assets to someone else also transfers any liabilities connected with the assets. Unless a deal was worked out before the transfer, then those ECW wrestlers deserve their royalties.

·
Registered
17,523 Posts
I'm pretty sure with Royalties, you get paid constantly. Transferring assets to someone else also transfers any liabilities connected with the assets. Unless a deal was worked out before the transfer, then those ECW wrestlers deserve their royalties.
And they do. I remember Madusa posting a royalties check on her Facebook about 7 or 8 years ago. This was before she started talking to them again. Most of ECW ended up on the E payroll anyway, and they paid RVD what he was owed by Paul E before he signed.

In the case of Raven, he's probably just pissed and snorted all his money away and is looking for a Quick fix.

·
Registered
12,426 Posts
Yeah, Bagwell will be raking in that sweet green from his whole ONE WWE match...

Reactions: zrc

·
Premium Member
5,302 Posts
And they do. I remember Madusa posting a royalties check on her Facebook about 7 or 8 years ago. This was before she started talking to them again. Most of ECW ended up on the E payroll anyway, and they paid RVD what he was owed by Paul E before he signed.

In the case of Raven, he's probably just pissed and snorted all his money away and is looking for a Quick fix.
Eh come on man, no hate on Raven. That man is probably one of the most underrated performers of all time.

And as for this case, it all hinges on if the fact that the network isn't an actual physical product which is arguable but then, so are PPV shows and they are allowed royalties so I say Raven has a case here.

And honestly speaking, from a pure ethical perspective its kind of shitty for them not to be paid royalties for it. Their work contributed to the appeal for people to buy the network so a deal should be made no matter how little so that these guys get rewarded for it. Honestly, all the wrestlers should have been given some upfront payment to allow their work to be put on the network. Just because a contract loophole doesn't mean they have to doesn't make it right.

·
Registered
17,523 Posts
Eh come on man, no hate on Raven. That man is probably one of the most underrated performers of all time.

And as for this case, it all hinges on if the fact that the network isn't an actual physical product which is arguable but then, so are PPV shows and they are allowed royalties so I say Raven has a case here.

And honestly speaking, from a pure ethical perspective its kind of shitty for them not to be paid royalties for it. Their work contributed to the appeal for people to buy the network so a deal should be made no matter how little so that these guys get rewarded for it. Honestly, all the wrestlers should have been given some upfront payment to allow their work to be put on the network. Just because a contract loophole doesn't mean they have to doesn't make it right.
Raven is one of my favourites of all time, but I'm not gonna pretend he's a saint lol. The whole royalties thing is confusing, and will remain so to anybody who hasn't read a contract. Maybe they have a case, maybe they don't. Time will tell, but I can't physically own the network I can subscribe to it. But I don't get a dvd of every event for 9.99 a month.

I'll leave this to their respective legal teams. Didn't others try this before and fail?

·
Premium Member
5,302 Posts
Raven is one of my favourites of all time, but I'm not gonna pretend he's a saint lol. The whole royalties thing is confusing, and will remain so to anybody who hasn't read a contract. Maybe they have a case, maybe they don't. Time will tell, but I can't physically own the network I can subscribe to it. But I don't get a dvd of every event for 9.99 a month.

I'll leave this to their respective legal teams. Didn't others try this before and fail?
Yeah, I can't remember who though. But I think most don't try since they don't think they can beat the big corporation in court. And I think the last guy that tried screwed himself over by signing a contract that allowed him no payment of royalties without realizing which is why his case got thrown out but it does imply if he didn't sign that contract which he signed in 2011 I think as more of a legends deal type of thing, he could've actually gone to court with it.

Reactions: Showstopper and zrc

·
Banned
18,555 Posts

Good thing you don't own your own business. You'd be good at paying your employees peanuts.

- Vic

·
I'll take you down the only road I've ever been do
The Icon That Can Still Go
52,780 Posts
Actors do get royalties when a movie they are in airs on TV years later. It's a small check, but they get royalties nonetheless..

·
Great One?..
10,833 Posts
Richest actor in the world Jerry Seinfeld became the richest actor in the world by getting paid all the royalties after each of his episode re-aired 50 times over the span of a year.

Just so all you geeks know.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts