Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UPDATE:

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/news-life/oxford-university-medical-student-spared-jail-due-to-extraordinary-talent/news-story/b4ce1087c0665bc16a13c64b0bf940f3

Oxford University medical student spared jail due to ‘extraordinary’ talent

An aspiring heart surgeon who stabbed her Tinder lover in a drug and alcohol-fuelled rage has been spared jail due to her ‘extraordinary talent’.

Oxford student Lavinia Woodward could be spared jail because it could damage her career. Picture: FacebookSource:Supplied

AN Oxford University student dubbed “too clever to go to prison” has walked free for stabbing her ex-boyfriend in a drug-fuelled frenzy — but moaned she can’t go clubbing without being recognised.

The Sun reports aspiring heart surgeon Lavinia Woodward, 24, ran out of court with a big smile on her face today after being handed a suspended sentence.

She appeared in the glass-panelled dock before the judge at Oxford Crown Court wearing a black suit and white blouse.

Flanked by a female security guard, she wept and dabbed her eyes with a tissue as the judge sentenced her to ten months in prison, suspended for 18 months.

James Sturman QC, defending, urged the judge to give Woodward a conditional discharge due to her “unique vulnerability, remorse and good character”.

He said: “She can’t even go to a nightclub in London, she’s so recognisable.”

Judge Ian Pringle QC previously said a custodial sentence may be “too severe” because it could ruin Woodward’s promising medical career, after she admitted unlawfully wounding Cambridge University student Thomas Fairclough.

The judge said today: “Fortunately the wounds your partner received were relatively minor. The two one-centimetre cuts to the fingers were treated at the scene and the cut to the leg was closed with three stitches.

“At the time of the offence you were heavily under the influence of alcohol. You were old enough and intelligent enough to realise that over-indulgence would severely affect your behaviour.

“You have no previous convictions of any nature whatsoever. I find that you were genuinely remorseful following this event.

“Most significantly, you have demonstrated over the last nine months that you are determined to rid yourself of your addiction and have undergone extensive treatment and counselling.

“You have demonstrated to me a strong, unwavering determination to do so despite enormous pressure under which you were put.”

The court heard Woodward broke her bail conditions by contacting Mr Fairclough to apologise for stabbing him, but the judge praised her for doing this.

He also commended her “strong and unwavering determination” to address her issues in the face of enormous public pressure.

When the judge told her she was free to go, Woodward mouthed the words “thank you” and hurried from dock in floods of tears.

Her family told her to keep her “head held high” as she left court, making no comment.

She grinned as she ran out the courtroom to celebrate her freedom.

The court heard she attempted suicide in police custody on the night of her arrest and was fired from a job she took at a shop in London 48 hours after being hired when she was recognised by a customer.
Woodward stabbed her Tinder lover in a drug and drink-fuelled rage. Picture: Facebook

Woodward stabbed her Tinder lover in a drug and drink-fuelled rage. Picture: FacebookSource:Supplied

While on bail she spent four weeks in a secure drug rehabilitation centre and doctors reports confirm she has stayed clean.

Woodward stabbed Thomas Fairclough in the leg with a breadknife and hurled a laptop, glass and jam jar at him when they argued on September 30.

Prosecutor Cathy Olliver said Woodward met her ex, a Cambridge PhD student, on Tinder.

She said on September 30, the night of the attack, they rowed and Woodward’s behaviour “deteriorated”.

When Fairclough threatened to contact Woodward’s mum on Skype the 24-year-old attacked him.

Defending, James Sturman QC said his client’s dreams of becoming a surgeon were “almost impossible” as her conviction would have to disclosed.

At a hearing in May, the judge hinted he would show leniency to the “extraordinary able young lady” because her actions appeared to be “a complete one-off”.

At the time, Judge Ian Pringle told Woodward: “It seems to me that if this was a one-off, a complete one-off, to prevent this extraordinarily able young lady from following her long-held desire to enter the [medical] profession she wishes to would be a sentence which would be too severe.”

He delayed sentence as he did not want to ruin her chances of a successful career.

Woodward was slapped with a restraining order and told to stay drug-free and not to reoffend before returning to court for sentencing today.
OP:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/may/16/oxford-university-lavinia-woodward-stabbed-boyfriend-may-avoid-jail

Student who stabbed boyfriend may avoid jail as it would ‘damage her career’

Aspiring surgeon Lavinia Woodward admits attack but judge defers sentencing because of her ‘extraordinary’ talent

An Oxford University student who stabbed her boyfriend with a bread knife may not go to jail because it could damage her prospects of a medical career, a court has heard.

Aspiring heart surgeon Lavinia Woodward, 24, punched and stabbed her boyfriend during an alcohol-and-drug-fuelled row at Christ Church College. She admitted unlawfully wounding the Cambridge University student, who she met on the dating app Tinder.

Judge Ian Pringle QC, sitting at Oxford crown court, said he would take an “exceptional” course and defer sentence for four months, hinting that Woodward will not be jailed because of her talent. “It seems to me that if this was a one-off, a complete one-off, to prevent this extraordinary able young lady from not following her long-held desire to enter the profession she wishes to would be a sentence which would be too severe,” he said.

“What you did will never, I know, leave you, but it was pretty awful, and normally it would attract a custodial sentence, whether it is immediate or suspended,” he said.

Woodward, who lives in Milan, Italy, with her mother, stabbed her then-boyfriend in the leg after punching him in the face. She then hurled a laptop, glass and jam jar at him during the attack on 30 September last year, the court heard. She was in court to hear the judge’s comments.

The court was told that Christ Church would allow her to return in October because she “is that bright” and has had articles published in medical journals.

Mitigating, James Sturman QC said his client’s dreams of becoming a surgeon were “almost impossible” as her conviction would have to be disclosed. She had had a very troubled life and was abused by a previous boyfriend, he said.

Woodward will be sentenced on 25 September. She was given a restraining order and told to stay drug-free and not to reoffend.

A spokesman for Christ Church said: “I’m afraid that Christ Church does not comment on the circumstances of individual students.”
Cause that's who you want doing your open heart surgery, a crazy bitch that flips out and stabs people.

·
Banned
14,118 Posts
Re: Med student who stabbed boyfriend may avoid jail as it would ‘damage her career’

Good, imagine the lives she will save in return. :armfold

·
Registered
12,426 Posts
Re: Med student who stabbed boyfriend may avoid jail as it would ‘damage her career’

And how many other aspiring people have had their lives ruined because they're fuck ups, despite having a lot of potential? Tyson spent a few years in the clink for his transgressions, as he should have. Robert Downey Jr. was sentenced to 3 years after violating his probation because he couldn't keep clean. OJ Simpson had been a huge screw up and spent the last almost decade doing time for kidnapping and robbery. Wesley Snipes got 3 years for tax evasion.

My question is...what makes this chick so fucking special? Because she had a troubled life and was abused by an ex? There are tons of people out there who have had it worse and lived perfectly fine, law abiding lives. Stop making excuses. She had the world and she blew it. Too bad, so sad, that's on her shoulders. Maybe while she's pumping gas after she gets released, she'll do some analysis over where her life went off the rails. If you really want her to change, make the consequences hurt enough to teach her a lesson. What does letting her avoid jail do? Reinforce the negative behavior by not punishing her for what she did. Then what happens when she gets trashed one night and pulls this same stunt on her kid, for example?

NOBODY is above the law, even privileged people (I know, I know, wishful thinking). And especially not this nobody.

·
From parts unknown
23,274 Posts

^Well, there's a guy name Brock Turner who got off pretty much scott free for raping a girl ... The judge there used the same excuse. He wasn't even going to become a doctor. The piece of shit was just a mediocre fucking athlete ... a total piece of trash.

·
Custom User Title
15,224 Posts

Imagine being a potential employer and seeing she has this on her record. It WILL be on her record? Like employers WILL see it, yeah? Honestly I think fucking patients should see it as well. Idk if I would want surgery from someone like this.

Woodward, who lives in Milan, Italy, with her mother, stabbed her then-boyfriend in the leg after punching him in the face. She then hurled a laptop, glass and jam jar at him during the attack on 30 September last year, the court heard. She was in court to hear the judge’s comments.

The court was told that Christ Church would allow her to return in October because she “is that bright” and has had articles published in medical journals.
sounds like a genios

·
Registered
3,989 Posts

She's finished in the medical profession. Google the bitches name and this comes up. No medical trust would even risk letting her watch a surgery never mind performing one.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts

So yeah this is bullshit.

More importantly thanks to clicking on the link to this story in the OP though I just found out that Avril Lavigne died and was replaced by a double named Melissa.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...l-lavigne-melissa-cloning-conspiracy-theories

Modern day Paul McCartney tbs
Who would actually give a rats ass if Avril Lavigne died? What a stupid random theory :lol

·
40,772 Posts

Who would actually give a rats ass if Avril Lavigne died? What a stupid random theory :lol
I lol'd too.

I don't think it's a srs theory. I think it's a spoof theory. Surely?

Also no sane society would allow anyone with a violent stabbing outburst to be a heart surgeon.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts

What did she stab him with?? And how bad was the wound??

Would be funny if she stabbed him with a scalpel.

·
Magic, sparkles and Strap-ons!
14,340 Posts

It makes me wonder if it was a male that stabbed and beat up his gf, would they be trying to save his career?

·
TEAM FLAIR FLOP
951 Posts

It makes me wonder if it was a male that stabbed and beat up his gf, would they be trying to save his career?
Of course not, because female on male domestic violence allegedly doesn't exist, just like female on male rape. If you dare suggest that it does, the feminazi's sent round a death squad to passively aggress you to death.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts

makes no sense because others have their careers and lives ruined due to felonies, she shouldn't get a pass

·
Banned
2,765 Posts

She's finished in the medical profession. Google the bitches name and this comes up. No medical trust would even risk letting her watch a surgery never mind performing one.
In the U.S that might be the case but this is Europe you're talking about.

·
Registered
11,111 Posts

Hell no if this was a man who stabbed his girlfriend he would have been promptly sent to prison and called a monster. But oh its a woman and she had a "troubled life" she gets a avoid jail card. Gotta love the double standard huh "Im a woman i demand equal treatment, but oh if i stab someone can i get special treatment". Totally pisses me off

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts

What you did will never, I know, leave you, but it was pretty awful, and normally it would attract a custodial sentence, whether it is immediate or suspended,” he said.
The judge is acting like she's the victim. :laugh:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts