Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys. First of all, Consider this as an unpopular opinion. IDK how true this rumor is. However, I want to share this to find out why does WWE turned into PG. Once cleared this, Here we go:

Context:
Last two nights I chatted with a friend of mine about how stale and nasty became scrambling Wrestling and Politics. My friend told me possibly Linda's politic aspirations forced WWE turning into a PG Product.

Opinion:
I reiterate, IDK how true this rumor is, but I'm sure of one thing: People pukes when Politics and Entertainment are scrambled. In another context, Why do people get bored watching Oscars or Grammys? Politicking! That's why. Coming back to WWE, if this rumor is true, maybe the Sporting Entertainment Giant can't get up from that love-slash-hate relationship with fans. Or what do you think?

·
Registered
219 Posts
All they did was remove blood and chairshots to the head.

• The characters, even the faces, are still assholes
  • There are still plenty of cuss words
  • The segments are still trashy
  • A lot of the women still mostly rely on sex appeal to get over
It's become way more PC obviously but in a lot of ways it's still very reminiscent of the Attitude era. The overall look of the show is cleaner and a lot less gritty... and it's not so overtly over the top... but not much has changed.

·
Registered
11,175 Posts
SD was pg since 2000.

WWE themselves started moving away from the over the top stuff in 2004 on raw and ppvs.

UFC getting hot in 2005 and Cena becoming top guy who attracted kids and families probably had just as much to do with it.

It's likely combination of lots of stuff.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
SD was pg since 2000.

WWE themselves started moving away from the over the top stuff in 2004 on raw and ppvs.

UFC getting hot in 2005 and Cena becoming top guy who attracted kids and families probably had just as much to do with it.

It's likely combination of lots of stuff.
SD was running bra and panties matches up until 2008, lol. Whether or not SD was rated PG is irrelevant, they still pushed to envelope way more than during the PG era. Vince McMahon called John Cena his N!gga in front of Booker T during survivor series 2005, they ran an necrophilia angle in 2002, an abortion angle with Kane, Lita, and Snitsky in 2004, an incest angle with Paul and Katie Lee Burchill as late as 2008 right before the PG move, Vince McMahon beat Shawn Michaels and "God" in 2006, etc. They turned it down compared to Russo 1999, but it was still very edgy, non PC programming.

·
Registered
11,175 Posts
Punk mocked Bearers death and rubbed Bearers ashes on himself in 2013, AJ Lee and Cena had sexual relationship in 2012, Brock and Cena and Brock in 2012 and Orton vs Brock in 2016 booked matches where wrestlers were told to physically cut open their opponents. We have had eva Marie, Lana, Alexa Bliss and Mandy rose either naked on TV or wearing little. None of those Brock Lesnar promo videos building up to Summerslam 13, 14 etc were even close to pg. Nexus debut wasn't pg

WWE might be pg but from time to time they go beyond those boundaries on TV still

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Linda's political career had something to do with it but there was other stuff.

WWE was crusified in the media following the murder/suicide of Chris Benoit. Rebranding themselves as more family friendly helped avoid further backlash not to mention being stricter with the wellness policy and baning headshots which is directly related to Benoit.

Also they were able to get a lot more sponsorships as a result of changing their image. I've heard one of the conditions of their Mattel deal was to not allow any blood.

With that said I think the peak "PG era" was 2009 to 2013. That's when they really tried to make it "family friendly". You would of never seen the Bobby lashley/Rusev stuff like you have now.

Keep in mind there's plenty you can do on a pg rating. As said Smackdown was always PG.

·
Registered
12,228 Posts
The Benoit murders were WAY more influential in WWe's change than Linda's (failed) political career.

Linda's career was a colossal failure lasting only a few years.

The Beniot murders influence the business to this day.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
The Benoit murders were WAY more influential in WWe's change than Linda's (failed) political career.

Linda's career was a colossal failure lasting only a few years.

The Beniot murders influence the business to this day.
Both played a role. Focusing on Linda, her back to back campaigns for the Senate would have brought pressure to keep WWE as non controversial as possible for no less than 5 years (presuming calculations for her first campaign began in 2009). That’s a considerable amount of time for restrictions to ossify and become standards, if not all-out traditions.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I’m not sure that Linda’s political aspiration had its influence on WWE going PG. WWE has always had a hint of politics around it, with Smackdown Your Vote, and a few of the 2008 presidential candidates delivering their own wrestling inspired speeches on the titantron. Even Jerry Lawler was encouraging viewers to vote for George W. Bush in 2000, although whether he was genuinely encouraging it or it was Vince yelling in his ear to say that is up for debate. And the current President is in the WWE HOF and its known how un-PC he his. WWE is no different than any other tv show in America over the years that’s referenced politics.

However, WWE would have gone PG anyways just because attendance was in decline for years after the wrestling bubble burst in 2001 and with a kid friendly product, they could fill 3-4 seats instead of just 1. The Benoit tragedy just gave them a stronger pretext to go forwards with being PG, resulting in the kiddiest show possible. As much as the Rusev/Lashley/Lana/Liv stuff is panned now, something like that would have really appreciated back in the 2012-14 period by the IWC. It’s a lot more adult than what was going on back then.

The show is cleaner in terms of presentation, but they were trending in that direction as early as 2006 which Saturday Night’s Main Event, when the show was still TV-14. A cleaner presentation with a TV-14 product has been shown to work with TNA Impact Wrestling from 2011-13 and ALL IN in 2018.

A desire to be mainstream is as much to blame as political aspirations, if not more. And WWE is mainstream, in the same way that Coca-Cola or McDonald’s is mainstream: you might like the ads, the brand, and consuming the product, but you’re not going to go out of your way to call it cool no matter how ubiquitous it is. It’s just there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts