Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For Mania, of course... even though it's a couple of months away, and not to sound too harsh, but with no HBK or Batista around, which is a big chunk of the Mania buyrate out the window, Taker maybe facing Barrett (doesn't sound as attractive as HBK/Taker), Cena v. Punk/Cena v. Miz, whatever it may be, Edge's stock has dropped alot etc. Orton was never that big of a draw, only real upside is HHH will probably be back for it, as would Y2J (although he's not the biggest draw in the world either). Which are the rumoured matches, and they couldn't really do anything else, sept for maybe Taker/Cena, as their talent pool isn't as good as last years.

So basically would WWE need to bring in some big A list celeb to brighten things up, like they have done in the past and make it work, namely Tyson, Trump, Mayweather, the Mania 26 card was stacked, looked great on paper, and the buyrate dropped, and dropped alot from 23 & 24. W/ the current climate & PPV buys going down in general as it is anyway.
Therefore to make it a bigger buyrate than last years ...

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
This year isn't anything special really, not a big event like WM25, no celebrity to advertise, so don't expect big buy rates.

Last year was bret as well as all those big matches, WM25 with it being advertised in general is a huge WM as well as the first HBK/Taker, WM24 being outside and having it as Flairs last match.

So this year will be an interesting one but it'll be an honest buyrate. They aren't making money off of a celebrity appearing or anything, they'll be making money based on the product itself.

WM28 in Toronto will get some more buys because canadians will buy it just for the fact that it's in toronto. WM29 might not be as big, but since that's in 2 years from now, many young guys from today might be top main eventers, so we could see a card full of main eventers.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True, sort of what I mean, there's nothing going for it atm that could even come close to people wanting to buy it in comparison to the others, from the looks of it.

·
Registered
409 Posts
For Mania, of course... even though it's a couple of months away, and not to sound too harsh, but with no HBK or Batista around, which is a big chunk of the Mania buyrate out the window, Taker maybe facing Barrett (doesn't sound as attractive as HBK/Taker), Cena v. Punk/Cena v. Miz, whatever it may be, Edge's stock has dropped alot etc. Orton was never that big of a draw, only real upside is HHH will probably be back for it, as would Y2J (although he's not the biggest draw in the world either). Which are the rumoured matches, and they couldn't really do anything else, sept for maybe Taker/Cena, as their talent poor isn't as good as last years.

So basically would WWE need to bring in some big A list celeb to brighten things up, like they have done in the past and make it work, namely Tyson, Trump, Mayweather, the Mania 26 card was stacked, looked great on paper, and the buyrate dropped, and dropped alot from 23 & 24. W/ the current climate & PPV buys going down in general as it is anyway.
Therefore to make it a bigger buyrate than last years ...
Though hardcore fans love him, HBK is not a big draw among casual fans. His absence will not significantly hurt the buy-rate.

Batista's absence, however, will be a loss.

And you have to remember that story-lines play a major role.

This Mania' may lack the star power, but if the story-lines are excellent then buy-rates may still increase.

For example, WWE didn't have Austin and Undertaker in 2000, yet business soared. You never know.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
I am marking for Mysterios retirement match with ADR, as a selling point.

Well, I would buy it, if I would not have to see that little turd again...

·
Broski of the Week
6,794 Posts
This Mania is a transitional WrestleMania; meaning that this is the year that they need to make new stars. Miz, Morrison, Del Rio, Punk, Barret, Sheamus, Ziggler, Bryan, Swagger, McIntyre, Bourne, Kofi, Rhodes, DiBiase, etc. all need to look strong coming out of WrestleMania. These guys are the future of the WWE and with Hunter, Edge, Mysterio, and Taker all calling it quits within the next three years, this is the Mania to put theses kids on the map as big time players.

In three years there will be no Triple H, no Undertaker, no Edge, no Kane, no Rey Mysterio, no Big Show.

John Cena (and Randy Orton) to an extent will be at the back end of their careers. They will be in the same position that Undertaker and Hunter are at; megastars.

The company will be led by Miz, Morrison, Del Rio, Punk, Barret, Ziggler, Kofi, Bryan, and Sheamus. Sheamus and Miz are the only established ones. This WrestleMania is where you need to establish the rest as big time players. I'm not saying give any of them the belt (although one new guy NEEDS to win the belt), but they alll need to look strong coming out of WrestleMania. They are the future and WrestleMania 27 is the platform to establish them so that buyrates are good for future WRestleMania's.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Supposedly, Bob Barker is gonna be at WM27. I dont even think he lives near Atlanta, so would be interesting to see why he's gonna be there. So looks like WWE might just get some of their top former guest hosts to be at WM as their celebs.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I think having a celeb at Mania will increase media attention and buyrates, but overall, I wonder how much streaming is affecting buyrates lately.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
That's why I think Triple H won't return until the show. Previous PPVs where he returned pulled excellent buyrates (Royal Rumble 2002, Summerslam 2007), so they could try the same again. Maybe not show 'Taker on television until the show.

Babyfaces chasing their first title can help the buyrate, so John Morrison and Kofi Kingston may feature in world title matches.

They could try a big money match, though they ain't many left:

Mysterio/Cena
HHH/Mysterio
'Taker/Cena
HHH/'Taker

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I don't know why,but this WM seems very similar to the situation of WM21

What as the big seller of WM21? Evolution,right? My bets on Nexus/Corre to do the same.

What was the big outcome of WM21? Two new big stars? We're in a freaking Youth Movement,I hope we have the same.

What was the "veterans" match at WM21? HBK Vs Angle,right? HHH/Taker is my bet to take the same spot. If not,then have HHH/Sheamus pull a similar spot as Orton/Taker

They'll do the same,me thinks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts